240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Do The Turn Signals Self Cancel???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Do The Turn Signals Self Cancel???

As part of my 260Z restoration project I took a look at my steering assembly up at the driver's end. I've got an aftermarket wheel on there right now. The combo switch was cleaned up nicely and tested years ago and it still looks good.

What I noticed today was that it doesn't look like my current setup will self-cancel the turn signals as the wheel is returned back to center. Looking at the mechanism, it seems to be set up to do so but there's nothing on the wheel itself to trigger the cancellation.

The wording in the FSM is a little odd as it only discusses lane changes and says the lever returns when it is released. It does not mention an actual turn and auto-cancellation. The Owner's Manual says nothing about this either.

So, my first question is: Is this vehicle supposed to have self-cancelling turn signals?

If that answer is yes, then I ask: what part do I need to make these work?

I've included two photos of the mechanism as it stands today. Just to make things easier, the steering wheel is down with the column pointing up.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Do The Turn Signals Self Cancel???-img_2534.jpg   Do The Turn Signals Self Cancel???-img_2535.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 PM

I am sure your turn signals are supposed to self-cancel. Thinking about it, it has to be purely mechanical (non-electric). When you flip the spring-loaded turn signal lever, a detent inside the switch near the steering column holds it in that position until the back-motion of the steering wheel makes a 'thingy' push up on the signal switch detent - which releases the switch. The spring-loaded lever flips back to where it began, its default position.

So, either something is missing from your steering column that would push up on the signal switch detent to release it - or there is an alignment problem where your steering column's release 'thingy' is passing by the signal switch component it is supposed to hit - so the switch's spring doesn't get a chance to work and the switch does not flip back.

Did you remove and re-install the steering wheel - or did you replace the original turn signal lever stick assembly? My guess is you changed the alignment of steering column and signal lever switch - or you need a new 'light stick' assembly. Your call. (Ashamed to say I have taken my light stick assembly off 6 or 7 times and never really figured out how it works exactly! shame...)

Last edited by zxguy1986; 10-13-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 PM

First, thanks for the response. It's appreciated. Now I know these things self-cancel.

I personally didn't do anything with the steering wheel, it was a PO. I'm dealing with what I got.

Looking into this aftermarket wheel I don't see any kind of gizmo (a.k.a. thingy / light stick assembly) in there which would release the turn signal. Hence the request for what part I need to make this work.

In all honesty, I don't like this 12.5" aftermarket wheel anyway and would like to get back to something more original or at least something close to 15".

Someone out there has got to have better information or photos of how this assembly works. As I said the FSM and OM are not any help.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 PM

You should have two pins in the back of your steering wheel so the turn signal will cancel.If you don't then they will never cancel.
You can see it here from this post just look at the back of the steering wheel in the pictures and you will find out what am talking about.....

Momo Steering Wheels

Last edited by borini63; 10-13-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by borini63
You should have two pins in the bach of your steering wheel so the turn signal will cancel.If you don't then they will never cancel.
You can see it here from this post just look at the back of the steering wheel in the pictures and you will find out what am talking about.....

Momo Steering Wheels
Thanks so much! No, I don't have those pins in the current setup but now I know what to look for. Maybe there's something like that in my piles of "stuff". PO might have left it out and it's now in the pile.

Is it some kind of adapter?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
Thanks so much! No, I don't have those pins in the current setup but now I know what to look for. Maybe there's something like that in my piles of "stuff". PO might have left it out and it's now in the pile.

Is it some kind of adapter?
They just two pins and you can easy remove them from the old SW if you have it around.Do you have a picture of your SW?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by borini63
They just two pins and you can easy remove them from the old SW if you have it around.Do you have a picture of your SW?
Nope, original SW for this car was removed by a previous owner, it is long gone. That said, the SW from my parts car is currently installed on the car being restored while it's at the body and paint spa. That wheel is in terrible shape so I don't mind it being gunged up over there. I do need an excuse to visit the shop and now I've got one. I'll get over there in a day or so and see what's there.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 PM

Well That Was Easy

Decided to visit the body and paint shop today. The SW there is original and has what the guy there calls "cancel cams" on the wheel.

Looking at that wheel with new knowledge has led me to decide I'll go with the original. I'll have to refinish it and get it recovered but then it will look closer to stock and with a larger diameter, it will easier for my wife to drive.

Thanks for all the info!
Attached Thumbnails Do The Turn Signals Self Cancel???-img_3301.jpg   Do The Turn Signals Self Cancel???-img_3300.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Just make sure to clean and lubricate the hinges on the cancellation tabs so they don't stick.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve260Z74
Just make sure to clean and lubricate the hinges on the cancellation tabs so they don't stick.
Roger that!