240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

brake caliper not properly working

Old 10-29-2012, 05:00 PM

brake caliper not properly working

I am having withdrawls from my beloved 1970 240z. My brake lights have been out and ive been trying to figure that out(not main problem) and realized my front calipers havent been working. i will add my proportioning valve is leaking slightly from right side, but the front calipers havent worked since i bought it. so i rebuilt and honed the cylinders and they work slightly. every time you press the pedal one side goes in and once that side hits the rotor, the other one gets some pressure, and so on. I had put a new 72 or 73 master cylinder and rebled the whole system after rebuilding one wheel cylinder which wasnt working well either. i'm stumped beside it being the leaky proportioning valve. the brake light went on for the leak after bleeding system first time. also now the pedal gained a little pressure again if you press it too hard you feel the pressure give and it slams to the floor. i decided to become part of the the community here to seek help and possible contribute with the small problems i have found and fixed that was not on any forum. If anyone would like to hear the ordeal of my brake lights pm me or follow the link i will post after i finish that huge story on another thread.
Thank you for your time.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 PM

70 240 Brake light mystery

my 70 240z is currently up on jacks because of my caliper problem which i am trying to figure out on the link below, but it started with a friend telling me about my lights. this is right around when this mystery smoke stopped coming from my dash cover. and i had already had a problem with the grounding for the lights before and remounted it, and replaced my bulbs and that worked for a while. and its not the brake switch because when i connect the two wires nothing happens. there is no continuity to them either, neither are the lights. i had thought it was the wiring harness because it didnt work properly to begin with and i heard everything is wired through them. although my headlights work, and blinkers but no hazards. so i had gotten a two for one and the lights still dont work. i dont know what else it could be besides a chewed wire somewhere. i would like to figure out hazards also. flasher out or something? i can drive it without lights for a while but ill have to fix them eventually to get the cops to leave me alone.

also if anyone has extensive z brake knowlege please help me on my brakes not working please help me here.
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/fs-24...working-36416/
thank you