240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

FOR ALL TO READ

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Banned

Re: FOR ALL TO READ

Thanks ZBeGone,

I constantly spend a ton of time working on this site but me myself have rare time to respond to the posts.If people were to interatct more with the site it would be nice. I mean there are so many poeple that come to this site for information and so many that come that could share information and assist others.

I know I am always willing to help fellow zer's =)

Kyle

Old 01-18-2002, 01:08 AM

Replying to Posts

I've posted here, at zcar.com and at 240z.org just to name a few. I've noticed that some of you guys who are asking questions, will ask the same question in all three places. I understand that, when I look for answers I don't just look in one place, but when you post in all three places, by the time you've seen the 3rd post by the same person (because the log-in name is the same), you kind of think, why bother? Figuring he'll either read it at one of the other places where you DID post the answer, or if he doesn't it's his problem for having posted the same thing three times.

Many of us, ALSO go to all the other places, and no doubt we also miss places. No one ever wants to tell others about these other places so you pretty well find them little by little as people, oops, post them.

I think the idea of the Denim Shirt is great! That way people at meets will at least see the name and in turn log in and check the place out. Should there be more activity, probably. But that activity isn't going to happen if all we are doing is copying from another site and re-posting the information here simply because people are posting the same question all over the place.

Additionally, (While I'm up on my soapbox.) if you guys are looking for GOOD answers, part of it is in asking GOOD questions.

Asking, "I wanna put 60" woofers in my car, what do you think?". Obviously makes one think a) the guy posting the question is a total idiot; b) this is a prank and they're seeing how many idiots will answer. c) He really has no clue, is absolutely convinced that that is the only way he's going to get rid of the road noise, and no amount of discussion is going to dissuade him from the fact that he has no clue.

That also goes with other questions; "I want the BEST seats for my car. Which ones do you guys think? OH, and I also don't want to spend more than $100 and they should be Leather and not need recovering."
Yeah, sure, a pair of seats, under $100 in Leather and he wants Recaros or something out of a Lamborghini, whatever you are smoking....stop, you've already gone too far.

I'm sure others will say that I'm just griping and if I don't like / want to answer these questions then don't. Well, that's what this whole posting is about. The lack of people posting. If we get people to post then the communication walls break down and people interact.

OH, one last thing. It helps when you post back at a later time to tell people that replied to you that what you found out from their posting was INDEED the answer to your problem. This is part of the communication cycle. People who know, either know it from getting a degree from the school of hard knocks, or have paid close attention to those people who went to that school and got a PHD. When I get a thanks later because the guy figured out his electrical problem on something I posted, or adjusted his window / door /hatch / hood and it's now working properly based on the instructions I posted, I feel like helping him some more. When I get no reply, then the next time I see "NEED HELP, PLEASE READ" I'll rethink looking and also posting.

Just my 2¢

Old 01-19-2002, 04:27 PM

Re: Replying to Posts

Skaitan: Thank you. No my posting wasn't intended for any one individual or group of individuals nor even a given defineable sector of the population, in any manner, fashion or form.

There's a saying that says: If the shoe fits, then wear it. Apparently Neochron has chosen to do just that. I don't know this individual, nor was I addressing any one specific post by anyone, nor was I addressing people who choose to play their music loud, ("Many times I find myself turning down the stereo to find out if my Z is ok") but apparently this person feels that I've singled him out specifically. I'll apologize even though as you pointed out, I was making a general comment. Neochron remember this: Just because the shoe fits, doesn't mean it's yours to wear.

What I was addressing is the type of question where a little bit of thought by the poster would give him the answer. Think about it before you post! A 60" woofer is TALLER than the 240Z, it is AS WIDE as the distance accross the width of your hood from fender flare to fender flare. How in the heck are you going to get a SINGLE 60" woofer into your car, let alone more than one? Unfortunately, the point I was trying to make isn't that people who put woofers into their cars are idiots, but rather that questions such as the one I posted ("I wanna put 60" woofers in my car, what do you think?") are stupid. I could just as easily asked, "Since concrete is such a good insulator, what do you think about filling my fenders and doors with it to avoid the road noise that's driving me crazy?" or "Sun glare through my windshield gives me a major headache, what do you think about painting my windshield with black paint so the glare doesn't bother me? Do you think I should use Satin Black or Flat Black?" The answer to these questions is to ignore them. That's why they don't get a post from those of us who have some knowledge on the matter.

Skaitan said it best:
"I think the real point was if you want a good answer, ask a well worded question. I see tons of questions on this site that don't actually make any sense and you have to ask several more questions just to find out what the person wanted to know in the first place. "

EXACTLY! Sometimes the question just totally befuddles you, and you must spend several minutes or days probing and asking for those items that were so "obvious" as to not be posted, only to discover that had the individual posted them he could have had an answer in a short while. That's what the 60" woofer question was about. Go out and measure your car, ANY CAR, and tell me if you can get a 60" woofer into it, and still use it as a car and not a rolling boom box. Sometimes the questions are so obviously stupid as to not merit an answer, othertimes they appear stupid because the poster ommitted so much critical information. So, people WITH the answers ignore those posts, and then everyone gets mad because no one is answering his / her or other's posts.

So Neochron in answer to a question you posed: "but seriously must YOU call guys like me idiots cause we want to find out if it can be done?". Neochron, SOMETIMES the answer to that question is an ABSOLUTE YES, other times, NOT AT ALL.

If you want to see if you can jump off the Golden Gate Bridge and do a belly-flop, go for it, most of us would agree that there are other ways of commiting suicide. The Darwin Awards are given to those individuals who best exemplify failures in attempting to see "if it can be done". Then again, the successes are listed in the Guinness Book of Records or in the annals of the Patent Office.

Just my 2¢