240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

*Lighting Problem* Tail lights not working!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 PM

*Lighting Problem* Tail lights not working!

ok guys so I'm fairly new here so i appreciate you guys stopping by trying to help me out here.

My problem is my taillights.

The headlights work. turn signals and even brake lights work great!

Only thing that doesn't work is my park brake lights. when i turn on my headlights the rear lights don't turn on.

ive checked fuses,ground,replaced fusible links, and yet nothing....

I've nearly given up. I figured id ask and see if someone can steer me into the right direction!

Any help would be much appreciated guys! And again, thanks for Stopping by!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

if you would really like answers that would help you and avoid flames give the following info when you post: year of car, n/a or turbo engine, stick or slushbox. Most of us can tell by the year what model you have ie 85T is a turbo z31. Z cars come in many flavors and they are all different. example 84,85,86 Z31's pretty comparable. there were changes in 87,88,89. in addition 300ZX can refer to two completly different cars the Z31 and the Z32. No mindreaders here the more info you can post the more likely you get a cogent useful answer. The cars with L engine (straight six) changed almost yearly from their introduction. A 240Z and and a 280Z have similarities but they can also have wide variance.

you didn't say what you have tried or is this a "i've tried nothing and it still doesn't work situation". Fuses are always a good thing to check when encountering electrical issues.
another possible is that the multifunction switch on the steering column has issues. my 83 burnt a connection and had to rewire around it to correct.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:49 AM

Do your dash lights work? Side markers? Those are on the same circuit.
Headlights - Controlled by the same switch but completely independent.
Brake lights - only share a ground with the running lights in the back. If those work, it's not a grounding issue.
Fuses - You don't say how you checked them, so that hasn't been eliminated
Fusible links - Unless you have other electrical problems in the car, you're throwing money at the problem.
Download the FSM. Look at page BE-13. Inspect the connectors under the steering column. The wires like to burn up there. Use a meter to look for voltage along the circuit.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 AM

I'm assuming you are speaking of what Nissan calls the Clearance and Tail Lamps. I'm also assuming you have an S30 since that's where you've posted.

As another poster said, all those lights are basically on a single circuit.

1) Are your clearance lamps working? These are the lights on the side panels of the vehicle, front and rear. If they are, your problem is likely in the rear wiring.

2) If none of the clearance lamps are working, check the fuse again (there's only one for all those lamps). If that's good, make sure there's voltage there. If there isn't, work back toward the combination switch on the column. If there is, work forward along the wiring. It shouldn't be far as the circuit splits to service the front and back lamps.

3) If only the front clearance lamps are working, I'd start looking at the body harness which runs under the carpet along the right side of the vehicle. There are some connectors, near the seat. Check them. Note: Most problems can be traced to "interfaces", i.e. where two parts come together. If the connectors check out (voltage is there), go back to the harness behind the rear fascia and inspect. Are there broken wires? Are the sockets for the lamps corroded (another "interface problem")? Are the lamps good?

Hope this helps!

Last edited by beg3yrs; 08-22-2014 at 09:52 PM.