240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Where this wire should go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Where this wire should go?

Hey Z people,
I was wondering where this negivage wire termail from the coil should go, first I thought it was a grounded wire. Could this be the problem that my car was not sparking? My car WAS running when I bought it, and now it not since when I messed with the coil. I got the coil tested and it is fine, but there is no spark out of the coil? I uploaded some photo for you z drivers.
Attached Thumbnails Where this wire should go?-imag0227.jpg   Where this wire should go?-imag0228.jpg   Where this wire should go?-imag0229.jpg   Where this wire should go?-imag0230.jpg   Where this wire should go?-imag0233.jpg  

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
The Good Twin

What is this funky white block??? Looks like an old school ceramic fuse holder. Definitely not original... nor proper.

My suggestion: get out the multimeter and start testing for power. There should be a main power wire to the coil harness. Download the manual from Carfiche or buy a Haynes manual...
Attached Thumbnails Where this wire should go?-imag0233.jpg  
Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 PM

I have no idea whit it is, it out of the negative wire of thr coil that lead to nothing. that is not the olny od little white block there is some under the coil. the car has a electronic ignition inside the distubior.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

I just had a nightmare with wiring and ignition lately, lol.

Follow where it goes and take a picture of that. Also, check your cap. Mine was burnt out and it wouldn't let it start. Also needed a new relay...oh and don't forget to tighten the spark wire from the dist to the coil. Sometimes it won't let it start because the pos and the neg part of the coil are sparking and yeah....to sleepy to write or formulate thought been at school all day doing tests.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Über User

nightmare? you replaced a relay and cleaned a few connections. lol. you did more i guess but only HAD to do the 2. your just noob to the car still so you havent learned its quirks
Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
nightmare? you replaced a relay and cleaned a few connections. lol. you did more i guess but only HAD to do the 2. your just noob to the car still so you havent learned its quirks
Duuuuudddeeeee, I changed a cap, relay, coil, reconnected a loose ground, cleaned connections and messed with fuel cause I thought it was clogged lol.

And it's a nightmare cause I didn't have tools and I was always working on it at night lol.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Über User

why did you loosen the ground then? and the coil was brand new!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!! you never told me that. brand new, brand new!!!!! only 300 miles on it!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by raythenegr0
I just had a nightmare with wiring and ignition lately, lol.

Follow where it goes and take a picture of that. Also, check your cap. Mine was burnt out and it wouldn't let it start. Also needed a new relay...oh and don't forget to tighten the spark wire from the dist to the coil. Sometimes it won't let it start because the pos and the neg part of the coil are sparking and yeah....to sleepy to write or formulate thought been at school all day doing tests.
Same here, but I did thought it was clogged, it wasent. I spent 8 hours trying to figure what the problem with a single god dam wire. There is no spark out of the coil.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
What is this funky white block??? Looks like an old school ceramic fuse holder. Definitely not original... nor proper.

My suggestion: get out the multimeter and start testing for power. There should be a main power wire to the coil harness. Download the manual from Carfiche or buy a Haynes manual...
Really not original....... There is power in the coil the, pos and neg when put together. But no spark out of the main coil. I have no idea where the neg wire should go, I been told it has to go to the ign module but I can't find it. I just ground it, but nothing happens.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Originally Posted by NismoPick

That goofy white block was on my friend's 240Z that he bought, I'm not sure what exactly it does, it's kinda just a coil of wire - more like a resistor. Either way we needed it for it to start?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Also, doesn't the coil itself need to be grounded too? so when you clamp it down it should be grounding so it might not work just chillin there?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

I just threw up a little. I just went through this too. Turns out MY whole electrical system was fried.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:07 AM

I dunno, like I said before, should the wire go to the ign module? I am new to these Zs. I really need you guys help me out here, now I miss it when it was starting up
Old 04-18-2008, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
Also, doesn't the coil itself need to be grounded too? so when you clamp it down it should be grounding so it might not work just chillin there?
I try to put the wire on the metal part of the car, I put it every where and it just won't spark at all, there no spark out of the coil....
Old 04-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
why did you loosen the ground then? and the coil was brand new!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!! you never told me that. brand new, brand new!!!!! only 300 miles on it!!!!!!
Change of weather?

It was more like the plug from the coil to the dist, lol. I just swapped out coil I still have yours for later.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil
I try to put the wire on the metal part of the car, I put it every where and it just won't spark at all, there no spark out of the coil....
You sure?

Got anything to test electricity? Try hooking up the coil directly to the battery with a wire just to make sure. I don't think the coil's bad.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 AM

If you don't already have the factory service manual, you need to get it (search for FSM, or factory service manual on here, there's a link and info somewhere). It'll make all your repair, upgrade, and modification work much easier. And if the POs messed with the wiring in one spot, you can bet they screwed up a lot of other places that you'll discover, too. With the manual, you can start testing and tracing the circuits. Here's an example, from the schematic for the '76, and from the Ignition Circuit part of the Engine Electrical section.
Just a matter of tracing the wires, testing with your meter, and cursing whoever messed it up before you got it.
happy wiring,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Where this wire should go?-ignitioncircuit.jpg   Where this wire should go?-distribcoilschematic.jpg  
Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM

I might do that coil wire trick, just putting the neg and pos wire to batt will start up the car? I hope so!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 AM
The Good Twin

Um no... unless you want to blow more stuff on your car. The coil is supposed to spark 6 times per cycle (1 per cyl). Hooking up + & - to the battery will not only fry the coil, but it will not create a spark in the needed cycle.

Use the wiring diagrams Dave just posted and trace down your prob.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 PM
I have a present for you...

Uh, coil neg to ground? That's how you hook up a KILL SWITCH!!!!. The only wire to the neg side of a coil should be the blue wire. Only exception would be an after market tach or a switch to ground for a KILL SWITCH!
Before you ask, the white wire with the black stripe goes from the resistor (just below the coil) to the + side of the coil.

Last edited by theramz; 04-18-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:55 PM

Ok thanks Nismo, I haven't done the coil to battery trick. Thanks Dave for wire diagram, and thanks theram. I will be trying to deal the wire tomorrow, hoping the car would start.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Nope, the white block below the coil don't do, I tried to put the black neg coil wire on any connection on the white cube, nothing... my car is not made in california tho, it is made in oregon. It wiring system differ between cali? The neg coil wire dose get spark when on contract with metal, but don't start up the car... Man this is confusing, all I wanted the car to go go, geuss it aint gonna happen. I did studied what dave gave me, and did wht theram suggested. but... nothing.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Ahahahah! I need to line guys up and give you all a high five! She running because of you guys. that not all, she runs smooth! Thanks a lot for your help! Now for sure my mother would let me keep a running machine. But guys, this is the beginning!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil
Ahahahah! I need to line guys up and give you all a high five! She running because of you guys. that not all, she runs smooth! Thanks a lot for your help! Now for sure my mother would let me keep a running machine. But guys, this is the beginning!
lets just hope its not the beginning of the end..
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100
lets just hope its not the beginning of the end..
Yeah, what I mean by that is the car is going to be alot better than it is right now. Like it will pass smog in californa, new body kits, drag wheels, 18 wheeler's troubo, and etc. Lot of fun, since I almost bought one for $3,000. But with the remaining $2,700, I can make it happen.

Quick Reply: Where this wire should go?