240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

My first Z project, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:14 PM

My first Z project, need advice

Hi everyone, I recently acquired a free 73 240Z from my grandpa. The car has been sitting for a long time, at least 5 years.

I have been reading as much as I can about the Hitachi carbs, my question is this. I live in Utah and we have required emissions testing, should I try and get the vehicle to pass the test with the hitachi's, or do I get replacement S.U. carbs and do the test with that?

Also, it looks like someone drove over a huge speed bump and dented up the floor pan and the sub-frame right below the firewall. The passenger side is also rusting a bit, i think from a leaking battery. Can the sub-frames be replaced? There is also some rust on the driver side rear fender and the area where the fender meets the rocker panel, how difficult are those to replace?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
The Good Twin

What the Billy Goat! I'm in Utah! Me... help... fellow... Utah... Z'er! Welcome to ZDriver! Where you is?

Also come to our Z Club of Utah website... www.zclubofutah.com

EDIT... I guess I should try to answer ya question... The SU's should be emissions friendly if they are tuned right. The rust is gunna be a pain.

Last edited by NismoPick; 10-01-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:45 PM
User Friendly

Welcome, Pokey! Congrats on your Z! That was really generous of your grandad!

Originally Posted by pokeyYJ
I have been reading as much as I can about the Hitachi carbs, my question is this. I live in Utah and we have required emissions testing, should I try and get the vehicle to pass the test with the hitachi's, or do I get replacement S.U. carbs and do the test with that?
I would toss those flat-top carbs and replace them with the 70-72 240Z bell-tops. The flats are nothing but trouble.

Also, it looks like someone drove over a huge speed bump and dented up the floor pan and the sub-frame right below the firewall. The passenger side is also rusting a bit, i think from a leaking battery. Can the sub-frames be replaced? There is also some rust on the driver side rear fender and the area where the fender meets the rocker panel, how difficult are those to replace?
Yes, they can be replaced with some cutting and welding. There's a company that sells a kit, and it's not cheap (sorry, can't recall the name of it right now). You can usually find body parts at a junkyard or on eBay. The fenders are fairly simple to remove, but if there's rusted bolts, you may have to drill them out.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM
User Friendly

Oh, and, Pokey, these two companies are gonna be your new best friends for 240Z parts (click on the links):

Black Dragon Automotive (Victoria British)
Motorsport Auto
Old 10-01-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
What the Billy Goat! I'm in Utah! Me... help... fellow... Utah... Z'er! Welcome to ZDriver! Where you is?

Also come to our Z Club of Utah website... www.zclubofutah.com

EDIT... I guess I should try to answer ya question... The SU's should be emissions friendly if they are tuned right. The rust is gunna be a pain.
I am in Bountiful,,, haha, which it looks like you may be as well.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Welcome, Pokey! Congrats on your Z! That was really generous of your grandad!

I would toss those flat-top carbs and replace them with the 70-72 240Z bell-tops. The flats are nothing but trouble.

Yes, they can be replaced with some cutting and welding. There's a company that sells a kit, and it's not cheap (sorry, can't recall the name of it right now). You can usually find body parts at a junkyard or on eBay. The fenders are fairly simple to remove, but if there's rusted bolts, you may have to drill them out.
Thanks for the advice!

I might take the car down to a body guy that I know and see if he can do something with the sub frame. I am just worried that it might be structural
Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
The Good Twin

That's awesome bro. I grew up in Bountiful... just east of the Bubble. I'm livin in Holladay now, but use my parents garage all the time. I'll be up there tomorrow workin on my bro's 240sx. If ya want me to look at it, I'm more than willing.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM

That's awesome bro. I grew up in Bountiful... just east of the Bubble. I'm livin in Holladay now, but use my parents garage all the time. I'll be up there tomorrow workin on my bro's 240sx. If ya want me to look at it, I'm more than willing.
Cool! I have got to work until 8 pm, but if you are still in B-town, that would be cool if you wanted to come look at it. send me an email pokeyYJ@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 AM

Thanks in advance!
http://www.baddogparts.com/bdp.htm
http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html (scroll about half way down)
http://www.datsunzparts.com/Summary.htm
Old 10-02-2006, 09:18 AM

In addition to MSA and Black Dragon / Vic Brit mentioned above, you can get replacement floor pans and "frame rails" directly from Zedd Findings, who's been making them for a long time for S30 Z's (and 280 ZX's, too):
http://www.datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm
There are some other vendors, too. Z Man in Seattle is advertising some:
http://www.zspecialties.com/cat_exterior-1.htm
And I think there was a guy out of New England somewhere that was called Bulldog Parts who was making some. Haven't seen a link to it in a while.
Edit: oops, looks like I posted overtop of J. Baddogparts, that's who I was thinking of.
good luck,
Dave

Last edited by BoulderZ; 10-02-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Sweet! Thanks guys!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:34 PM
The Good Twin

Word homie. Gimme a call tonight when ya get outta work & I'll check out the Z. What part of B-town you in?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM

Word homie. Gimme a call tonight when ya get outta work & I'll check out the Z. What part of B-town you in?
I am up near the Bountiful temple
Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
The Good Twin

I had a gander at Pokey's 240z tonight... dah, now that I say that, I shoulda taken some pics! I had my digi-cam in the car.

Anyway broski, the car looks good! It will be a good winter project & be ready to drive in the spring. Yippie!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
User Friendly

How bad is the rust, Nismo?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
How bad is the rust, Nismo?

Rockers have a lot of rust at the door jams, left quarter has been bondo'd, and some idiot mechanic prolly tried to jack it up on the frame rails so the floor boards are bent up. The right inner fender under under the battery might need to be mended (the seams are splitting).

The engine is the main focus tho... the guy that owned it before his grandpa (I think in that order) did some nasty aftermarket fuel line... the carbs need some work, and overall needs a tune-up.

Sounds like a lot, but it's deffinately a keeper! Can't beat free!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
sounds like a good learning tool--and then a fun ride. can't beat the initial investment amount!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:36 PM
User Friendly

That doesn't sound that bad. It'll be a good project for him. I think he really should toss those carbs (if he has the stock flats - did you look to see?) and get some bell-tops in there. The flats are too difficult to keep tuned and are commonly known to catch fire. Wish I had a pic. to post of the fire damage to one of my 73's due to the carbs - wasn't a pretty sight.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:09 PM

Yeah, hopefully its going to be a fun winter project. I picked away at some of the bondo on the left quarter and found a good sized hole with a bunch of rags stuffed inside it! haha

I think that I will just look for a new rear fender that includes the dog leg and then replace the rockers.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Über User

replacing a rear quarter is a job.....
Old 10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
replacing a rear quarter is a job.....
It does suck... I know from personal experience

Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Big Poppa

i did the same thing, both sides, sucks donkey
Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Well, I pulled the front fender off on the driver side..... I think that in order to get this vehicle where I want it to be I will strip the entire vehicle and repair the rusty areas and then paint it and begin reassembly. Which means I will not be driving the vehicle anytime soon. But I think that if my grandpa could see the finished project he wouldnt even know what to think (he passed away recently).
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Big Poppa

sorry to hear dude, it just makes it more worth while to finish it for him
Old 10-04-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
sorry to hear dude, it just makes it more worth while to finish it for him
Thank you very much

Quick Reply: My first Z project, need advice