240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

mechanical fuel pump instalation

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:24 PM

mechanical fuel pump instalation

I had a mechanic working on my car and i got totally ****ed, he removed and lost the front fuel pump and also my keys, so i need to replace them. I bought a new mechanical fuel pump but i never actually saw it installed, so i dont know how to put it on. There is this large black lever thing that blocks it from being mounted the way it looks like it should be, does anyone have any photoes of a 240z engine with the mechanical fuel pump that i can look at to see how it goes. Also, how do i remove the lock cylninder to see if it has 6 or 7 tumblers so i know which part to buy for replacement. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:01 AM

I can't help much with the fuel pump (my stuff's EFI). But for the missing keys: a *good* locksmith should be able to just make a key for you to match the ignition, on the spot. Of course, then you'll be left wondering if the third-rate mechanic really "lost" the keys, or if he's got plans to liberate your Z...
Locks and keys on first gen Z's are so worn that a lot of them work in different cars, anyway. A hidden kill switch is a good idea.
good luck,
Dave
Old 08-21-2006, 09:01 PM

I found this picture I took of a 1970 240z engine compartment. I hope it helps. My service manual says to install the fuel pump by screwing the three mounting bolts to the block. The big black lever thing should be the rocker arm/link assembly. You won't see it when properly installed.
Attached Thumbnails mechanical fuel pump instalation-dsc_0066compressed.jpg  
Old 08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
I have a present for you...

The ignition switch is installed with special screws that shear off at the head when tightened at the factory. You have to drill them out, a real pain. Easier to have a locksmith make a new key. You should have a kill switch anyway.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 PM

Smack that dude in the head....

The fuel pump had a 1/4" spacer installed with it... DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT... install the new fuel pump without a spacer... good luck finding a spacer...

Smack that dude in the head again...

You can get rid of the mechanical pump altogether and install an electric pump in the rear near the tank... MSA and others sell block off plates for the mechanical pump... fuel pressure should be 2.5-3 PSI....

Smack that dude in the head again...

Smack him once more for good measure...

Then go smack his mother for raising such a worthless slob...

About the keys... DO NOT DO NTO DO NOT... remove the ignition switch or key cylinder... you are being grossly mislead by whoever wanted to know the number of pins... There is a key code on the passenger side door lock cylinder... remove it carefully and read the code... any locksmith who hasn't been drinking the same water as your mechanic can reproduce an original key from this code...

For gods sake dont start drilling out screws and such...

Go have your lead levels checked for good measure if you have been drinking the same water as your mechanic...

Last edited by bjhines; 09-14-2006 at 11:47 PM.