240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Keying a 240z

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:44 AM

Question Keying a 240z

OK - who can help me here??

I purchassed my 70z without keys and was able to get a locksmith to make a key for the ignition (problem solved there). The problem I have now is that my exterior locks (lock cylinders) will not accept the key produced by the locksmith. I have been busy restoring the exterior and have not worried about this situation, but now I am ready to install my lock cylinders I need to figure out if the early zs used two keys, one for the ignition and one for the external locks. I recently spoke to a friend of mine with a 72 model and he told me that his car uses only 1 key for the ignition and locks. Sooooooo, can anyone tell me for sure if:

* The 70 model uses one or two keys?? If they use only one key, then the key that the locksmith produced is just a little off (it will work only in the ignition)
* Can I go get a key to match my locks (I have the lock type code) from the dealer? Either have them cut or buy them over the counter?

I know I can buy all new locks, but if my solution could be simply buying a key, saving some denero would be good!!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 AM
The Good Twin

The car originally only had one key for everything, but many times the reason the ignition key won't work on the door locks is because someone changed the ignition.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 AM

keying a 240z

That makes sense. Do you know if I can get new keys made or I could purchase them for the exterior locks using the code I have?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 AM
The Good Twin

If that locksmith can make a key for the ignition, I'm sure he can for the door cylinders too. Though, I'm sure he's not cheap.