240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

just when I think I can fix something!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 AM

Question just when I think I can fix something!

1. I drained my fuel tank
2. Added a (FI) filter after the tank and before the FP used new F.I. rated fuel line
3.Took the cap off (BA fuel pump)and looked for any yuck (none found) put back the seals and spinner put the cap back on tighten the bolts.
4.Changed the fuel filter
5. changed the pressure regulator.
made sure everything was tight and sealed.
Now I can not get the car to start it turns over but nothing tried to cough (almost start) a couple times at first but not since and yes I put gas in the tank about 2 gallons.

Need some help.

The only thing I can think of is that I did not put the fuel pump back together correctly but it looked like it only went together one way.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 AM
The Good Twin

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to ON or start it?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
The Evil Twin

Turn key to on, test power at the fuel pump with a volt-meter.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Unhappy

OK here is what I am thinking.

I know that I could get it to idle all day if I wanted before I touched anything.
So I know I had power to the pump. I know the pumped worked.
now comes the lesson for me.

since the last time I have:
1. Added more gas (about 5 gallons in the tank now).
2. Taken the outlet house from the FF (under the hood) at the rail and hung the end it into an empty anti-freeze container and turned the key nothing just a drip (probably left over).
3. I unhooked the inlet house to the FP removed the pump took the head off (my pump looks like the one in this link

(http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuelpump/index.html)

its the one with impellers at the bottom.
everything looks good seals and such. get the head on nice and tight.
4. Slowly fill the pump with gas by pouring it in the intake opening until she is full.
5. Get gas moving thru the added filter in the rear and flowing out the house.
6. Re hook up the fuel pump.
7. Nothing still will not start.
8. Getting no sound from the FP when the key is turned to start. (realized I was killing my battery so I disconnected my starter to lessen the energy draw due to all the cranking over).
9. I do not have a meter to check for power at the fuel pump terminals at this time but I will when I buy one later.

I took a picture of the wire and how they hooked up to the FP before i touched anything and I have put them back exactly as they were.

So....
IF I find I have power(which I anticipate I will) Did I somehow break the FP?
1.If I did is it spent?
2.What could I have done to it?

I thought my FP had a screen inside the cap Like the first one in that previous link but it did not. Had I known it did not I would of never got into it in the first place

Any thoughts my fellow Zed's?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a present for you...

That screen in the pump keeps the big chunks out. Yes, the pump will go back together in at least 2 different ways. The ports have to line up correctly in the gear section. Take it out and mark the pieces before you remove them. After they are off you can check the pump on the bench for rotation, the black wire is neg. Now you can try to figure out the oreintation. The center piece can face 2 ways plus different rotational positions. Good luck with that. With it on the bench you can check the flow before you put it back on. If the pump motor spins fast it's good.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 AM

I have the multi-meter and I am going to check it tonight will update after that.

Thanks for the help guys:-)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:15 PM

How can I provide power and how much (12V?) to the fuel pump some might call it a "Hotwire"? I need to run the pump to get it primed but I do not want to kill the battery using the starter.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
The Good Twin

Use a cordless drill battery, or you can just run a 12V+ hot wire right from the battery, & use another wire to body ground it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 AM

To avoid damaging any other circuits disconnect the battery neg cable. Run two wires to the pump. Disconnect the harness wires to the pump to avoid back feeding power to the ecu (not sure if that would hurt anything since the fp relay is open with key off). You really should get a voltmeter to make your Z experience easier.
If you're not getting power to the pump it could be the fp relay. When you turn on the key you will hear it click. That's the relay turning on the ecu circuit. Next open the afm flap, you should hear it click again as this turns on the pump. Most of the info on the web does not mention this. Just because you hear the first "click" doesn't mean the fp relay is good because it has two coils inside.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 AM

Update:

I can hear the clicking of the relay I checked with a multi meter and I have power to the pump. I heard the pump whine. No start.

next I am going to hotwire the pump like theramz said and disconnect the fuel line under the hood after the Fuel filter at the rail.
Put the hose in an old gallon anti freeze bottle and try to get he gas moving in to the container by running the pump.
Hopefully I will get the system primed then re-hook up the hose and donezo

Does this sound like a wise plan?

I am going to take a picture of my tank,filter Fuel pump set up and post it tonight so everyone can see it. Maybe I did something wrong like hose to long or not low enough or something a novice like me would not catch.

I appreciate everyone's help and drinks on me when I work thru it.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM
The Good Twin

If you have power to the pump, you don't need to mess with the pump wiring. Indeed you should pull the fuel filter to rail hose & see if any fuel comes out when you activate the pump. If so... you need to be diagnosing else where.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM
The Evil Twin

an idea: just disconnect the return line. It would be the hose right by the fuel filter but of course, not the one with the filter on it. That way you're seeing fuel after it goes through the fuel rail.

Prime it up and this will also confirm you have fuel going through.
After this, if it won't start, try using some starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body (while holding the throttle open) Then quickly connect the throttle to AFM hose up and do a test start.
if it spudders and fires at least you know you have spark. If it still won't start then you know fuel isn't a prolem, but spark or timing is.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bleach
an idea: just disconnect the return line. It would be the hose right by the fuel filter but of course, not the one with the filter on it. That way you're seeing fuel after it goes through the fuel rail.

Prime it up and this will also confirm you have fuel going through.
After this, if it won't start, try using some starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body (while holding the throttle open) Then quickly connect the throttle to AFM hose up and do a test start.
if it spudders and fires at least you know you have spark. If it still won't start then you know fuel isn't a prolem, but spark or timing is.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Maybe run a piece of hose to a 5 gallon gas can to check for flow over a longer period of time. It's suppose to flow 2 liters per minute. If it doesn't then you won't get enough pressure to the injectors to keep it running.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Here are some pics
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/t...8r/FliterZ.jpg

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/fuelpump.jpg
Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Taste My Rainbow

have you even tried swapping the hoses that connect to the pump just in case they are backwards? Make sure your filter before the pump is facing the right way as well most filters are not backwards compatiable.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Talking

I managed to fix the issue it was my impeller. I took apart my Fuel pump and put it back together and whoopee it was fixed!

Everyone thanks for your help!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

another ZDrive sucess story...