240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Clutch issues at high rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Clutch issues at high rpms?

Reposting as a seperate question from my fuel issues.

I think I have a clutch issue, and as this is my first manual vehicle, its not something I have been able to figure out.

At high rpms, sometimes I hear this TERRIBLE grinding and smell burning clutch, accompanied by what feels to be a downshift almost, the engine gets super loud like its under heavy load, and the car kinda shudders and slows a bit.

I wont lie, I probably destroyed the clutch the first few days that I got it and was learning to drive it, but I wanted some opinions on it before I take it to a shop to have it looked at. Is there any self diagnostics I can do there? I see some tests like the ones mentioned Clutch Drag Kills Synchros! – Jacks Transmissions, but my car is currently dead for other reasons, so I havent really had any chance to try it.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Yeah, sounds for sure like your clutch is shot. It was probably on its last legs when you got the Z. Plates slip and bearings wear out over time. They make noise and smell funny as you describe. But as long as the car can still be driven clutch-wise, take care of the other issues first. Once it's running to your satisfaction, have a new clutch put in. There are a number of clutch kits that will fit so check around to make sure you get one that meets your needs (pedal pressure, durability, etc.) Prices are all over the map too. You get to shop for it. Labor is a couple of hours. Best done on a lift.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 10-11-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Bad Clutch

if your clutch is going bad it should be pretty obvious, when you press the gas and your tach climbs but your speed does not, it will show up more often at higher speeds and going up hills. A burning clutch is a pretty terrible smell that will linger. Just learning to drive a manual should not ruin a clutch unless it was already on it's last leg. The PO could have very well know it was weak, and decided to sell because they were unwilling or unable to get it repaired. i would avoid buying a clutch off of eBay, any local parts store can get you one, and if you have fitment issues, because there are a few different choices, it's so much easier to return a part locally, will be much less of a pain and end the end you will be happier
Old 10-12-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

The car is drivable - well, once the fuel delivery stuff is worked out it is - unless I go into high rpms, which i really shouldnt be on a 36 year old car anyways. I will absolutely look into this soon, but I think zxguy1986 guy is right about addressing my other stuff first.