240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

260ZT vacume finding thread, lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Über User

260ZT vacume finding thread, lol

ok, so ive been driving the car short distances liek to work or my friends house both like 2-3 miles away, and sometimes she will let me tear it up and sometimes not, NOW, im able to hit full boost according to my boost/Vac guage, so if i can do that then is it still possible to have a vacume leak significant enough to only allow 1-3 inches of mercury (inHG)..... that doesnt make much sense to me, and yeah what is that stuff to help you find vacume leaks and how does it indicate? i think shady said somethign like brakeleen, thats not a canadian thing is it? lol/
Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
i think shady said somethign like brakeleen, thats not a canadian thing is it? lol/
Nope... it's an AutoZone / Checker / Kragen / Napa thing. It's a brand of brake cleaner. How about posting a good pic of your engine bay...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Über User

fine... i will go out today and buy the shizzle, couldnt monday cause of teh holiday and i worked yesterday.... and i guess ill get some panorama of teh engine bay but anything you guys want to see specifically?

ps. i change teh injectors O-rings.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Über User

well, today my vacume decided to increase to 5inHG so it was running a bit better, i was actually able to floor it from time to time, it was nice.... well heres teh engine and stuff

Old 05-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Über User

and why not the rest, my stoopid hood has stains in teh paint though

Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Über User

Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Über User

oh and i was mistaken, the tires are 225's
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
The Good Twin

Isn't that tube you have running from the Jpipe to the front of the manifold supposed to actually hook to the back of the air regulator???
Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Über User

the NA and turbo airregulators are set up different ive noticed.... pretty damn sure its hooked up right, but i think id rather just eliminate it and end that thought. but today its vacume is better for some reason seems if i let her idle a few minutes and start to warm up some her vacumme goes up a lil, and she is pulling good today also so if my friend comes over i shall make a video i think.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Über User

one other question, i want to get an oil cooler, the zx turbos have a stock oil cooler correct? just curious as to how the plumbing is routed? like where is the supply and the return? pictures help. lol
Old 05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
The Good Twin

one other question, i want to get an oil cooler, the zx turbos have a stock oil cooler correct? just curious as to how the plumbing is routed? like where is the supply and the return? pictures help. lol
The auto turbos came w/ an oil cooler. I installed one on mine, check my cardomain for pics. It's a simple install on S130's, but S30's might be a bit harder (cutting / fabbing).
Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Über User

bah, wont be to bad. ummmmmm, and yeah, car is down already, lol, with actually being able to hit boost and using the synthetic oil my main seal errr.... well my timing seal (same difference right) is leaking oil like, stupid quick, its almost a stream, its probably a drip every 3 seconds.... a bit to quik for my liking.

edit: to shange that seal i gotta remove the main pulley dont I ? that SUCKS if i do...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
The Good Twin

How about running some normal oil first?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I have a present for you...

A source of vacuum leak is shown. A 1/8 hose connects the two fittings (arrows). Circled is a temp sensor but I don't think you have a turbo intake right? You also need a one way check valve on the brake booster. I am going to wait and use a megasquirt cause all those old sensors are at best weak.
Attached Thumbnails 260ZT vacume finding thread, lol-vacuum-leak.jpg  
Old 05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Über User

its an NA intake unfortunatly, hmmm, dint know about the one way ont eh brake booster, i'm going to try to find an EGR less mani with teh air regulator blocked off. still would need a one way check valve though? thats for when its like under boost correcto?

and i dont want to run normal oil, lol, its at teh point where i dont think just switching will fix this problem. im a pretty big fan of synthetic oils. but still, main pulley has to come off doesnt it? thats gonna be a bitch, i think i might check all teh bolts first to see if they are any loose
Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 AM
I have a present for you...

The damper pulley has to come off. It's a slip fit but may need some help cause it's been on there a long time. Don't pry against the timing cover. You will have some difficulty getting the old seal out with the cover on the engine so be prepared to remove it and the pan.
I don't see a knock sensor on the side of the block or a oem boost sensor. Without all the sensors, water temp too, the ecu will not function correctly. Another thought is you could be blowing pressure into the block and forcing oil out.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Über User

i know im probably blwing into the block but its should force any leaks, im sure it helped though. also i i dont have a boost sensor but i do for my own safety have a boost guage, and there is no plug on the ECU harness for the sensor ive noticed so that probably isnt doing anthing, i do have it hooked up to a temp sender though so that should be alright there, and the knock sensor according to nismo will only retard the timing if it senses knock, so its a good idea, but not a big deal
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow snow, that Z is friggin' sweet bro'! Thanks for the pics to add to my screensaver. You have a great looking 260z, I am envious. I still want an S30 someday. I think I will end up having one here in the near future. Need a break from the 280zx's. And work on something different. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z's. I am just ready to tinker with an older one. Anyway keep that thing looking nice. Just spruce up the interior after you get the mechanical working how it should. After that that Z, will look 10 times better.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Über User

interior, i will make my own so it will be cheap, and im gonna go cheap on one thing, dash cap lol, but you honestl cant tell when its capped, as for seats, idk what i want yet, and im going to paint it within the month of june. thanks though, its pretty nice for finding it in IL but it shall be better

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 05-31-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM

yeah you dont need the boost or knock sensor for the ECU to operate properly. Boost sensor is only for the stock electronic boost gauge.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Über User

rut row..... well i fixed one of my oil leaks i though it was teh timing cover it appears to just have been this block off plate on teh front of the head, the bottom bolt was missing and it leaked from under it out of sight making it seem the freaking water pump was leaking oil lol.. stupid thing, so to make sure i got int drove it, it was mostly warmed up, and went for a full 1st gear pull so it was boosting and then a 3/4 2nd gear pull, and when i can to this stop sign, my idle was GONE! even with a little throttle it seemed to be missing like a turd but at actually giving it some it runs good again, so im HOPING thats jsut the vacume leak showing itself and not something worse, my fears a BHG or fried rings, but id imagine it would show more than just at idle, plus if it was a BHG it should be smoking, IdK but its a little scary, so im letting her cool down and im gonna start her again becuase this happened once before and seemed to be gone after she was cold.... oh jeez....what have i gotten myself into.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Über User

never mind, turned out my brake booster just blew off... PHEW!!! lol, but that leads me to think i must have proper vacume, so wtf is up with my guage???? wierd...
Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM
The Good Twin

so wtf is up with my guage???? wierd...
Maybe nothing?
Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Über User

lol, well when there IS a vacume leak it runs like it should when there is a vacumme leak, when there isnt one i know of it idles and runs basically fine, but the guage only reads 3-5 inHG soooo idk, thats totally wierd, and i know the turbo cant be spoolin THAT much, and it doesnt have an aftermarket cam, at least to my knowledge, idk..... its stoopid, but i guess ill just go with it. lol
Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 PM
The Good Twin

Where do you have the vac tube hooked into for the boost gauge?

Quick Reply: 260ZT vacume finding thread, lol