240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

260z turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Ok double tripled and quadruple checked. Still no spark, I can still get spark if I manually unplug the wire to ecu, and my injectors fire. I am not getting signal from the ECU to the igniter telling it to fire. I got a friend coming over a little later and we are gonna try to pull it and see if it will fire that way. I love this damned car. I`ve never even driven it. (old motor had carb problems and no compression on 5 and 6.) I miss my camaro....
Old 02-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Über User

hmmmm... check that you dont have the wires on backwards for when you made the ignition harness. did you ground that inhibitor switch wire like i suggested?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hmmmm... check that you dont have the wires on backwards for when you made the ignition harness. did you ground that inhibitor switch wire like i suggested?
Yeah I did. My wires are good. I`m still not getting a signal from my ECU to interrupt the coil to make spark. This is getting real old.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Über User

theres no reason it would send every other signal and not spark if it werent wires... or a dead ecu.... idk.... try cleaning all the connector plugs (not the ones you made) re-bending them, and also clean out the dizzy and stuff.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

theres no reason it would send every other signal and not spark if it werent wires... or a dead ecu.... idk.... try cleaning all the connector plugs (not the ones you made) re-bending them, and also clean out the dizzy and stuff.

I`ve done that, The dizzy is brand new and the rotor to match. The condenser on the coil. Not the igniter, where does that hook to? Wanna snap a picture of that for me?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Über User

didnt use the condensor, it doesnt do ****. well, not techincally, but w/e
Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

ITS ALIVE!!! Redid all my wiring, and figured out why my wiring was wrong. Someone had already rewired that plug to suit their needs. So following the yellow white wire and yellow wire on the schematic didn`t do ****. Because it was wired wrong. I had to chase wires, all the way from the ecu out. My harness is laid open and its guts are everywhere, I`ll have to fix that tomorrow, And get some better connections made, but it is alive! And sounds so mean. Can hear the turbo through the exhaust, SICK!! I can`t wait to drive it. I`m gonna take some sleeping pills so It can be tomorrow.!!!! Snw If we ever meet in person I owe you a weeks worth of car fixing beer!

Now to fine tune the timing, how do I do that? Where should it be? Anything need disconnected first?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Über User

really? promise? lol! i knew it was connection somewhere. but didnt expect it to be that! where do you live again?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

really? promise? lol! i knew it was connection somewhere. but didnt expect it to be that! where do you live again?

Boise Idaho. And I promise. Like 5 cases of beer for you. And me of course. I am thinking about MSA next year if money and car permit. There are still some bugs to work out, My number six is missing. I can pull the injector wire and it makes no difference but its all corroded and nasty so I`m gonna clean it and re bend it and my downpipe is leaking, I think its not tight. I gotta tighten it up. I gotta take the heat shield off it so I can get it in the proper. But it sounds so mean. 2 1/2 inch exhaust into a 2 /12 inch cherry bomb. Sounds awesome cept the missing and exhaust leak. I`ll get some video after its going. I can`t wait. I have put almost 1500 dollars into it in the last week getting it running. (counting tires) I just can`t wait..... So giddy....
Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Über User

idaho ehhh... UGH. i want beer now! take a vacation to chicago and through a hotel party. lol
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

idaho ehhh... UGH. i want beer now! take a vacation to chicago and through a hotel party. lol

I love chicago, I was born here and spent the first 4 years of my life in chicago. I`ve been back twice since then. It`s my favorite city in the world.

What do you think of a tattoo thread, wanna see my art? I know I would love to see everyone elses.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Über User

that would be great actually. i want one for my self but cant figure out what yet
Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

She`s registered. I got school today so I gotta put off the finishing touches till tomorrow and then I`ll have video for you.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Über User

booo. just do it now. clean, scrape, and bend the connectors and contacts. got new wires and plugs and cap and rotor? if not go now and order that stuff so you can have it by tommorow

also change all the oils/fluids if you havent yet and oil filter.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

booo. just do it now. clean, scrape, and bend the connectors and contacts. got new wires and plugs and cap and rotor? if not go now and order that stuff so you can have it by tommorow

also change all the oils/fluids if you havent yet and oil filter.
All i need to do is clean the connectors. I got new cap, rotor, wires, and Bosch Yritium Plugs. Or however thats spelled. New oil. Royal Purple. And even new anti freeze. Be patient, I know you got almost as much time in my car as I do snw, but you must wait.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Über User

bosch... no bueno bro. order yourself some NGK platinum's at most, regulars will do fine though.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

bosch... no bueno bro. order yourself some NGK platinum's at most, regulars will do fine though.
I got a brand new set of ngk platnums also, I wanna try these bosch though. I been runnin a set in the wifeys car and it does great. So I`m gonna give em 100 miles in the Z and see where I`m at.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Pictures

Engine in the car.

More engine in the car. Sorry for the crappy pictures I didn`t feel like moving the tractor.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Über User

you dont need that voltage regulator thats on the pass side if your using the ZX alternator. ill try to get you the removal instructions via my dad he has them somewhere. the 260 is a complicated one. need a diode otherwise the car doesnt shut off once running lol!

also, DUDE! you didnt clean/paint the engine or engine bay when the engine was out??? wtf?!?!?! thats like rule number one!

and i hope your recording a vid of it with that camera you just posted. lol.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

you dont need that voltage regulator thats on the pass side if your using the ZX alternator. ill try to get you the removal instructions via my dad he has them somewhere. the 260 is a complicated one. need a diode otherwise the car doesnt shut off once running lol!

also, DUDE! you didnt clean/paint the engine or engine bay when the engine was out??? wtf?!?!?! thats like rule number one!

and i hope your recording a vid of it with that camera you just posted. lol.

No didn`t clean and paint. I had one week to do this swap, Have to have the car for to get to school. I`ll make a video, but I`ll use the digital not the film camera. I`m gonna go put the hood on it now, and get it timed, Also I`m using the 260z alternator cause the zx alt was bad. Give me 30-60 minutes and I`ll have vid for you.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Über User

i hope 30 cause i gotta leave around 5 ish....
Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Mkay videos are uploading slowly... Its still missing on number 6, determined its an injector, Need to pull it out and test. Am going to swap it with another and see if it works then, if so then bad wiring, if not working still then bad injector. We will see. I`ll get the video so you can hear its miss. Stupid slow youtube....
Old 02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Über User

you got spark on it? did you check to see if the plug is giving off the signal?? (simple LED in the connector will suffice) also, you shoulda removed that PS bracket lol. you left allotta crap on that motor that you can use anymore.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

you got spark on it? did you check to see if the plug is giving off the signal?? (simple LED in the connector will suffice) also, you shoulda removed that PS bracket lol. you left allotta crap on that motor that you can use anymore.

Yeah I got spark, But I can pull the number 6 injector and it makes no difference in my engine. Plus I pulled the coil wire off crank it a bunch and pulled plugs one by one. Number 6 was the only dry plug after that. It seems like it sometimes fires though. I think It may be gummy. I`ll know tomorrow. I did drive it today though. Like 1/2 a mile. Longest I`ve driven my Z so far and I`ve owned it since November.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Über User

try the LED test like i said. get an LED and disconnect the injector plug and stick the LED in the clips contacts it should pulse. if it doesnt its not getting signal. mostlikely it will, if not though, wire on a new pig tail if still no. try foolin with the wire on the ECU itself. where the vid!?!?!? and did you get that timing up to 20-25?

Quick Reply: 260z turbo swap