240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

260Z Fuel Pump Help! What's going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:09 AM

260Z Fuel Pump Help! What's going on here?

Hi everyone,

The saga continues...

Okay here's the skinny, purchased used/new to me Datsun 260Z, see this thread, New Z Owner

Now the gas gage is not working correctly, so I run the car out of gas a second time. As mentioned in the above thread, I've already replaced the electrical fuel pump shortly after purchasing the car and then attempting to drive the car home and the electrical fuel pump that went out also went out when the car ran out of gas.

Lesson learned here, don't run out of gas...

So after the fuel pump went out I was able to coast into a gas station and I was going to set about obtaining another electrical fuel pump and bolting it in when I noticed there's a mechanical fuel pump on the passenger's side front of the engine block.

I'm a little confused?

Is the Datsun 260Z supposed to have both an electrical fuel pump attached at the back of the car under the gas tank in conjunction with the mechanical fuel pump on the engine?

I'm kind of a Chevy guy and with small block and big block Chevy engines the mechanical fuel pump is all that's needed.

My first thoughts are that the mechanical fuel pump is either bad and the previous owner added the electrical fuel pump as a quick/cheap fix instead of replacing the mechanical pump?

Or,

The the mechanical fuel pump isn't strong enough to pull the gas to it and needs the electrical fuel pump to push the gas to it?

I would appreciate anyone that can shed some light on this as I really need to fix this problem one time, the right way and forget about it. I drive 100 miles each way to work on the I-15 Freeway here in SoCal and don't want to break down half way to work for something that should be a simple fix and a reliable process in the year 2006.

Here's some pictures,

Mechanical Fuel Pump - Everything is hooked up

I was able to get the car to run a little with starting fluid being spritzed into the air cleaner and right before the fuel pump quit, when doing so the front filter was empty while the rear filter appeared to be getting gas.

Fuel Filters

Generic electrical Fuel pump - 3-4 gallons per hour

I'm going to call NAPA right now to see if they have the mechanical one in stock, then I'll see what I can do to find a quality electrical fuel pump to replace the current one.

Again, anyone that can shed some light on to what's really needed it would really be appreciated. I need to get this car back on the road today. If you like, you can reply here and I'll check back from time to time today, or give me a call on my cell phone at 714-274-3276

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I have a present for you...

The 260 had both. The rear one is just a pusher to help prevent vapor lock. These cars were made to run hotter for smog. When you ran out of gas you burned up the pump and maybe pushed some debri from the tank into the rear filter. When the rear pump is bad the mechanical one can't suck thru it. You can by pass it for now and hope the mechanical one will suffice untill you can get a good after market pump and eliminate it. You could get a pump and brackets from a 280zx from the j yard and that will solve your problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Yeah just get a good AM pump and you can blank off the mechanical one on the engine...BTW SU type carbs dont want a lot of pressure 3-5 PSI is about max before they will overflow
Old 10-20-2006, 02:28 PM

***Update***

Called the local NAPA auto parts store and purchased the correct electoral fuel pump for this car, a Carter fuel pump that looks to be of good quality. I installed this and then installed two new in-line fuel filters before the pump and one after the pump at the gas tank location. Buttoned everything up and she's purring like a kitten again.

The filters that I removed were full of brown ick and lots of large particles of debris, so I would like to replace this gas tank and the sending unit if there are replacements available.

Thanks for the help...

Mike