240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Springs And Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:43 AM

Springs And Coilovers

I'm looking for some performance springs and coilover. Cause every little bump in the street my Z starts bouncing. Some of you may be running some some set of coilover and springs on your Z right now. If you don't mind hit me up and let me know what your running and how they perform. Let me know what you think about bagging (airbags) a Z. That would be sick
Old 09-27-2004, 09:11 PM

Bags would be sick - as for springs / shocks, I think IceIce is running a good setup, check with him on how his performs. I blew a shock, tweaked an anti-roll bar, and obliterated a spring a while back when I was drifting - I mean, TRYING to drift - in the local K-Mart parking lot (I'm guessing everything under my good 'ol '81 2+2 is stock, which is scary) so the Z's overdue for some suspension upgrades.

Coilovers ... seems nothing fits the 2+2 - as if nobody drives one . I haven't even found a decent set of lowering springs for my 2+2 - and I recently found that I need a serious alignment on the frontend of my '81, and my auto-shop instructor told me that McPherson strut assemblies are a pain in the *** to align.

Which leads me into my questions: Is there even a coilover kit for a 2+2 ZX in existence? Or - I will assume here - everything is going to be custom? Speaking of which, anyone with any ideas of setups, shock / spring lengths and stiffnesses, etc.? I suppose I'll post a few sketches, and possibly a couple CAD drawings in the future, if anything good comes to mind. I was thinking of getting a coilover system designed for a second-gen Eclipse, and modifying everything to fit and work together, however, I can't find any measurements for the length of the coil / shock / collar assembly. If anyone has any ideas, info, or just want to tell me how hopeless it might be, let me know !
Old 10-03-2004, 03:12 PM

easy front end alignment

take it to a local brake shop! its less than a hundred dollars usually, and its worth it. they do a dozen a day.. and you'll be sure its done properly. if you dont have all the right gear for measuring the alignment of the wheels, its a pain. this is coming from someone who would mount and balance his own tires if he could.. so im not in the habit of running my car to a mechanic for every little thing.. (quite the opposite actually.. i cant afford that!)
Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 PM

ok first:
if your bouncing the problem is with the struts not the springs,
second:
if your thinking air bags then you don't mind abusing your kidney's
third:
coil overs will fit a 2+2 or a 2 seater, you have to cut off the factory spring pearch and weld the sleeve retaining collar onto the strut housing
fourth:
if you have an 81 you should be looking in the 79-83 forums
fifth:
the ZX uses a pearch thats a part of the reat strut, not a housing like the earlier cars so i would not recomend welding on it
sixth,
tokiko, eibach and everyone else make lovering springs for the ZX, you just need a stiffer spring rate to keep that heavy 2+2 back enbd from sagging
seventh:
macpherson struts align like any other suspension set up, by turning the tie rod ends (some older cars had turnbuckles that were a royal pain but worked the same way) but like most moders cars the caster/camber is not adjustable unless you buy special kits of cut out your shocktowers and install camber plates
eighth:
I am felling wordy tonight and should prolly go lay on my fat neck now
Old 10-09-2004, 10:54 AM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by OlderThanMe
first of all drifting is stupid but.......
check www.zcarparts.com and they will probally have what you need if you havent' seen it yet.
"Drifting" is a new name for something that's been done for years by the same type of people- squirrels!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:38 PM

I am in the middle of installing some Tokico HPs in my '83 2+2. Most places that sell them say that they are only for the 2-seater but they are wrong. They work in the 2+2 it just rides a tiny bit lower then the 2-seater would because of the extra weight. Anyway, I would highly suggest Tokicos they kick butt.