240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 07:40 PM

Jack stands

I'm going to have to put the Z on jackstands, and was wondering where the best place to put them. Is the unibody strong enough to hold the weight of the car without bending it ?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:13 PM
The Good Twin

Don't put them on the frame rails. The best spots are on the rear suspension arms & the engine cradle support. If she's gunna be up for a long time (say longer than 2 or 3 months), you should have the tires still touching the ground a little, to make sure the struts aren't fully extended. That way they will stay in good working condition.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:25 AM

It depends on what you'll be doing to the car.
and how high you will have the car of the ground.
If you just want it so the tires dont touch(say for brake work/new tires etc)
argh just remembered this is in the 240-280z sectoin....(sorry just woke up)
and I dont own one.I use the front crossmember and rear cross member for such work on my 300zx (not sure if its actually called a crossmember but the semi bent rail that attaches the trailing arms to the unibody?)

but if you want to extend the jackstand as far as they will go.. then you want to place the jackstands as close to the outside of the car as possible, so its has more sturdieness.
Also when putting a car up on stand,you want to keep the jackstand in sort of a evenly spaced rectangle shape,it ok if they are not perfect but say,the 3 jackstand are placed under the car on 3 corners of the car and the fourth is kind of off center from the rest,like placed closer towards the center of the car,thats fine,but you have to becareful as to not put too much weight on that corner,becuase a car falling off jackstands is something i would wish on nobody....

GL with your car man.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a present for you...

I had mine up on stands for months while I changed the trans, diff, shocks, springs, steering rack, bushings and brake setup. I used 5k rated stands and suported it on the rear cross beam that the swaybar mounts to. The front I put under the frame rails just behind the front support. I put 2x10 blocks under the stands to help prevent slipping. Before I got under it I pulled on jerked on it side to side just to be sure. I didn't have to reposition the stands. Don't raise or lower one end all at once. Be safe, good luck.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:23 PM

If I am working on the under side and can leave the tires on . I use a set of ramps in the front and another set on the rear wheels . I use the floor jack to raise it high enough and slip them under the tires with the ramp part facing out . this has the car well in the air and it is solid. If the tires must be removed then I use stands.