240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

How do you install a deck in a S30?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 AM

How do you install a deck in a S30?

I have done a lot of searching and I cant find a mounting plate for my 260z. I've tried best buy, and other stereo stores etc. And they tell me the car is too old. And I don't know how I am suppose to mount my deck.

I have a Panasonic 8301 deck that I want to install. I don't mind pulling apart the console because I have other work to do. But without the mounting plate that you use on newer cars, what do you use on the S30?

I was planning on wiring the harness myself I don't image they are out there either.

I can't seem to find any information. If you can help me out that would be great!

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
The Good Twin

Just fab something up yourself. Take some plywood / thin MDF, cut it to your specs, mount it, remove it, cover it w/ some vinyl, cloth, leather, velvet, etc, pop in your radio & wal-la!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 AM

I mounted mine last weekend. Make it easy on yourself and remove the center console so you can do all the work on your workbench.
For me, I had a brand new center console, which has the cutouts for the original 2-**** + antenna switch configuration.
My new stereo came with the typical half-depth slide-in box with the million bendy securing tabs, and a bunch of slotted straps, etc. for mounting. I used the slide-in box as a template to cut the console opening out to the correct size, using some of the existing opening to help frame it (e.g. the top was at the right spot, just not wide enough). A hacksaw blade, dremel tool, and some patience was all that was necessary.
I then used the old brackets that mount the stereo to the existing cross-piece, lined up and marked the brackets, and slotted them out with the dremel and some file work. Result: stock cross piece and brackets, new box supporting the front and strengthening the stock console, and the plastic trim bezel that came with the stereo fits over that for a nice finished look. I'll take a photo this weekend, as I know this is confusing in text-only.
Wiring is easy if you have the directions for your new stereo, and the schematic for your car (search on here for Factory Service Manual or FSM if you don't already have one). Not all of the wires translate or are necessary (e.g. stock is a 2 speaker system, so you won't use the rear channels). The stock radio has a pig-tail about 6 inches long that you can splice and use so that your new stereo will plug right into the original harness. Stereo guys will probably want to bypass the stock harness, though, for power and sound quality reasons. I'm not into car audio, and just want my music to come out of two new speakers in the stock location, from either CDs or an iPod, so I'm keeping the stock wiring. Again, I'll take a photo this weekend before I put the console in the car, so hopefully that'll make this more clear.
It all fits, but it's tighter and a bigger pain than any of the usual we-install-it-for-you places are going to want to work on. They only want to do quick easy-interchange modern replacement so they can get the volume they need to make any profit at all (can't blame them). Some custom or high end shops will do it for you, and nicely, but you'll pay more for it, and some in some locales they're hard to find. For me, it was easier to just do it myself.
Dave
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Über User

its true, u gotta fab it up yourself, and usually cut away i believe at the centerconsoul where the stock stereo sat. me n my dad have done it like 3 times already, its easy peasy wood was the first attempt after that we got ahold of some flat black plastic giving it a stock look. like it belongs there
Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I was actually surprised, that MSA, didn't have those aftermarket wise. Anyway Me personally...I would fab up my faceplate out of aluminum and such. And then either have a brushed finish look. Or paint it with a decent paint. On what color I choose. And to me wiring is a piece of cake. Well for the most part. lol I love messing with wiring and such. Good luck to you on you installation. Whatever you decide.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Here is the cassette player that is in there now. I'm not sure what the previous owner used to mount it, but i may be able to use the same thing. This radio is old and half the buttons don't work.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM
The Good Twin

That's cake... just remove the old stereo, install new stereo. If the backing plate has holes for the tape deck *****, just cut the rectangle hole for your new stereo's retaining can... and bam!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
I mounted mine last weekend. Make it easy on yourself and remove the center console so you can do all the work on your workbench.
For me, I had a brand new center console, which has the cutouts for the original 2-**** + antenna switch configuration.
My new stereo came with the typical half-depth slide-in box with the million bendy securing tabs, and a bunch of slotted straps, etc. for mounting. I used the slide-in box as a template to cut the console opening out to the correct size, using some of the existing opening to help frame it (e.g. the top was at the right spot, just not wide enough). A hacksaw blade, dremel tool, and some patience was all that was necessary.
I then used the old brackets that mount the stereo to the existing cross-piece, lined up and marked the brackets, and slotted them out with the dremel and some file work. Result: stock cross piece and brackets, new box supporting the front and strengthening the stock console, and the plastic trim bezel that came with the stereo fits over that for a nice finished look. I'll take a photo this weekend, as I know this is confusing in text-only.
Wiring is easy if you have the directions for your new stereo, and the schematic for your car (search on here for Factory Service Manual or FSM if you don't already have one). Not all of the wires translate or are necessary (e.g. stock is a 2 speaker system, so you won't use the rear channels). The stock radio has a pig-tail about 6 inches long that you can splice and use so that your new stereo will plug right into the original harness. Stereo guys will probably want to bypass the stock harness, though, for power and sound quality reasons. I'm not into car audio, and just want my music to come out of two new speakers in the stock location, from either CDs or an iPod, so I'm keeping the stock wiring. Again, I'll take a photo this weekend before I put the console in the car, so hopefully that'll make this more clear.
It all fits, but it's tighter and a bigger pain than any of the usual we-install-it-for-you places are going to want to work on. They only want to do quick easy-interchange modern replacement so they can get the volume they need to make any profit at all (can't blame them). Some custom or high end shops will do it for you, and nicely, but you'll pay more for it, and some in some locales they're hard to find. For me, it was easier to just do it myself.
Dave
Did mine recently, sounds like almost the exact procedure. I used a small soldering iron to widen the console. The '77 oe power anteanna is a 3 wire, spdt switch circuit, so using the new stereo's power anteanna switch lead's to control the stock airial won't work. Option one:design and install some small relays and limiting switchs to create a control circuit. Option two: replace the oe antenna with one that is transistor controlled. Chances of a shop installing a deck and not breaking anything (tabs, plastic bits and pieces) and/or repairing their mishap and not charging you for it...............I would say slim to none. Yes get a copy of the FSM. I found a '77 FSM hard copy, orginal printing, on Ebay for $50. It has been the best money spent on my zee's. It is now guiding me through the "stuttering/no acceleration/sputtering/underload" problem.......Dont askthat's for another thread
AB