300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

It's going to be a long road...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:20 PM

It's going to be a long road...

Hello ZDriver Forum!

I'm sorta new here. Posted about a problem I couldn't figure out. Since then, I simply stalk the forums and find answers, not really needing to post. But, this time I wanted to reach out to the community, and tell my story, even if it is currently a short one.

Back in March, I purchased my second car, after the first car died, it was a 1985 300ZX N/A 2seater.

$700 100k Miles, and plenty of rust.
I went into it with hardly any mechanical knowledge, a haynes manual, and a mechanical friend.
A month of driving the car, and I completely fell in love with it. The body lines, the interior, the t-tops. I began reading everything I could, and finding a few people to ask questions. It was reliable..Okay on gas. Most of all, Mine.
We started with some simple things: Getting the Foglamps to work, Removing Power Steering, Removing A/C, Changing the CHTS and Pigtail. Upgraded to a MSD Blaster 2 Coil, changed Spark Plug Wires. It began running better and better, and I had so many people backing me up. Telling me it's a great car, I made the right choice, and am in a great community.
Sadly, it began having issues; Fuel pump, ECU, Brake master cylinder, Brake booster, Brake caliper, plus a few other minor issues. When I couldn't find answers, and got stuck, I was met with discern from the FB Z31 Community. Telling me that I made a stupid choice, because I'm to young and don't have lined pockets, and that I should have gotten a turbo. Already from the wide car community, I was being constantly reminded how my car is slow, ugly, and not as good as their -insert random car here-.
Having problem, after problem, plus being annoyed by any community rejecting due to age, or car. My friend and I set out to solve the problems with no help. It ended up off the road for 7weeks, and is finally driving again today.
I'm currently now running a 87Turbo ECU, 85Turbo MAF, 92N/A Auto TPS, Gabriel Struts, and have great brakes, now with steel braided lines.

It's my Z, it's rough around the edges, has problems, but is running and driving again. I have pride in the fact that my friend and I were able to get it up and going by ourselves.

I am young, and don't make a lot of money. But I love this car, and plan on getting a new shell and going turbo. I'm glad to mountains of knowledge on this vehicle, and am glad of the friends I've made because of it.
It seems to often that we relies solely on others, to tell what to do, how to do it, and then look back for approval.
I hope that this next time around, having more knowledge, I'll be more welcomed. But this car has helped me grow, and made me realize that when it comes to it, I can figure it out myself.

There's still so much to learn, and I look forward to it. And I can truthfully say, I am addicted to this car.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Good job, Tyger She's lovin' you back and will keep on doing that.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Good job, Tyger She's lovin' you back and will keep on doing that.
Thanks! Though sometimes I have to question that.
It's been a journey though...and i plan to continue. =]
Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Be thank-ful you have a helping hand. I couldn't get anyone to help me from the people I know if I pleaded begged and paid. I took the trans out and reinstalled by myself with the car on jackstands. Sure hope I don't have to repeat that again. I bought my first Z31 a year and a half ago and now have 3 including a turbo. BTW....the turbo is awesome. I've learned a lot and please if I can help let me know. Jim
Old 01-01-2016, 06:19 PM

Thanks! ^_^

Sorry about not having anyone to help teach you. If it hadn't been for my friend Roy, I wouldn't even have a running car. He has basicalkly every tool needed, whereas I....have a ratchet set.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

why are you running a turbo ecu on an n/a car? there is no such thing as a turbo MAF all z31 MAF are identical. you probably should change out the clutch hydraulics when that goes you no go. master/slave around 40 bucks for the pair. did you put new pads on your brakes? lines make no difference except for looks. the master cylinder and pads are what stop you. here is some general advice that will save you down the line.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
why are you running a turbo ecu on an n/a car? there is no such thing as a turbo MAF all z31 MAF are identical. you probably should change out the clutch hydraulics when that goes you no go. master/slave around 40 bucks for the pair. did you put new pads on your brakes? lines make no difference except for looks. the master cylinder and pads are what stop you. here is some general advice that will save you down the line.

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone so are the rears. if car squats when you jump on the gas the rears are gone. If you have the electro adjustable shocks they are DEFINITELY GONE.
The MAFs are all the same? That's something I wasn't aware of, though good to know. Thanks!

I'm running a Turbo ECU due to my Ttops leaking and shorting out my N/A ECU. The turbo ECU was the only option to get the car back on the road, and running.
Car has fully poly-bushing all the way around from the owner before me.
Once the prices drop after income tax, I'll be getting another Z31, and doing an engine swap as this current engine is in very healthy condition.
Having learned even more since then, and meeting a few people, this next go around will be a bit easier. And the car will be getting...Basically everything new.