240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

HVAC vacuum pressure measurements

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:37 AM

HVAC vacuum pressure measurements

I have searched the HVAC troubleshooting guides and the service manual for this answer, but can't seem to find it.

Essentially I have an issue with my 1977 280Z mode door or my selector valve. I replaced all the vacuum lines about 6 months ago and the system has worked fine, now I have the dreaded cold air from the vents problem. As part of my troubleshooting to determine the likley cause, I want to determine the vaccuum throughout the system. This will not only tell me if there is a leak, but will also help me figure out where the leak is and if a component has failed.

My question is, what vacuum should be read throughout the system? The service manual says the acuators work at 8 in HG, so I know I need at least that amount. Should I expect the vacuum to be the same as the engine vacuum or is there a loss as you transition to all the tanks, hoses, and connectors?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 AM

The vacuum in the HVAC system will probably never get to the same level as the engine vacuum. However, the engine vacuum will go well below -8mmHG. It just won't necessarily stay there long. Between the bottle and HVAC panel, there shouldn't be any appreciable loss.

What is the condition of the vacuum bottle? I believe there should be a check valve, too. Could any of the replaced lines have been nicked? Are you missing any firewall grommets? Did any of the vacuum lines get damaged by being near a hot part?

One way you could test components is to use a vacuum pump like a Mity Vac. See how well the components hold vacuum, moving toward the intake manifold. When you see the vacuum decaying rapidly, you found the problem.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:11 PM

Well...its fixed. 4 hrs of frustrating under dash work. I started by reading the vacuum in the engine compartment. It was ~12 In HG all around. Then moved into the cabin. Pulled the mode door actuator which wasnt working right (no vacuum). Check and no leaks between the selector vavle and the acuator. I then pulled the HVAC selector valve, cleaned and re-lubed it, fiddled with it for 2 hrs, but coudnt get it working right. D1 was always low. It didn't occur to me that D1 has a side tap for the actuator that controls the hot water to the heater core. Getting to that acutator is a major pain, but after tearing half the car apart, I found a cracked vacuum hose near that actuator.

Needless to say, now it works...kind of. I think I put the selector valve in a tooth or two off. Defrost works correctly, recirculate works 1/2 inch right of the detent, heat just blows cold air from the vents, and A/C works correctly.