Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Porsche VS. G35 w/ Vortech S/C

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by roneski
Damn, decisions, decisions...

Anyone want to help pe install a Stillen SC?
Welcome Brother Ty! (Mike - call VRT, tell them a G is on the way for the full treatment)
Old 02-02-2006, 08:56 AM

I'm having trouble deciding. The TT is real nice, but I can install the Stillen SC myself for half the price.

Stillen SC

Pros-
Linear power band.
Relatively easy install.
Cheaper.
Warranty.
Easier to remove in the event of sale.
No Tuning.

Cons-
Less power.
Belts tend to break.
That damned hood.
No Tuning.

JWT TT

Pros-
More power.
Stealthier install.
Expandability.

Cons-
Cost
Less linear power band
Downtime to get it installed (driving it to CA)

*sigh*

Last edited by roneski; 02-02-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:06 AM

You could be the first Turbonetics in town!!!??? Supposedly pretty easy to install...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 AM

there is the possibility of overboost with the turbonetics - if you have an aftermarket exhauast. i think they might have the fix out for it, but im not sure. i just know there was like 7 pages of people talking about overboosting. some even overboosted up to 12lbs

the powerband of the JWT is pretty linear. Full boost comes on really early and holds till redline.

there are lots of FI choices out there. Its all personal preference really. if i was going to go SC i would go vortech or hks. i like the hks powerband alot. I am pretty set on a turbo now after seeing mikes dynos and how early the boost comes in.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Forget the Stillen SC, JWT TT, HKS TT, etc.

One word: Turbonator

Old 02-02-2006, 05:30 PM

I love the sound of the Stillen sc, but not so sure about the hood. How fast do you want to go? Stillen with the small pulley ( stage 3, no warranty?) might be good enough.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 PM

Forced Induction

I'm having trouble deciding. The TT is real nice, but I can install the Stillen SC myself for half the price.

Stillen SC

Pros-
Linear power band.
Relatively easy install.
Cheaper.
Warranty.
Easier to remove in the event of sale.
No Tuning.

Cons-
Less power.
Belts tend to break.
That damned hood.
No Tuning.

JWT TT

Pros-
More power.
Stealthier install.
Expandability.

Cons-
Cost
Less linear power band
Downtime to get it installed (driving it to CA)

*sigh*
I have decided on Stillen. Find a good body shope. Get the new Stillen fiber glass hood installed/painted. Get the Stage two for carb certification. Put stage three pulley on for more power. Oh, last but not least. Get separate credit card to put on so wife doesn't find out!

The nice thing about Stillen is warranty and good power at relatively low rpms. I won't be racing just driving around town. 98% of time rpm between 3,000 to 5,000 root system puts out good torque and horsepower. If you are racing or running on track go turbo.

Thats my two cents. Oh, belts can be replaced.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by 350PYE
I have decided on Stillen. Find a good body shope. Get the new Stillen fiber glass hood installed/painted. Get the Stage two for carb certification. Put stage three pulley on for more power. Oh, last but not least. Get separate credit card to put on so wife doesn't find out!

The nice thing about Stillen is warranty and good power at relatively low rpms. I won't be racing just driving around town. 98% of time rpm between 3,000 to 5,000 root system puts out good torque and horsepower. If you are racing or running on track go turbo.

Thats my two cents. Oh, belts can be replaced.
For those of us that are married and decide to go F/I, the most important part of the entire process is the seperate credit card! No warranty, no returns, & no refunds if you're dead because your wife found out that you spent $4Gs+ on your car when she thinks you could've used it towards a new house or something.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM

I dunno, I don't need ludicrous power, but doesn't mean that I won't want it tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the TT, but $10k is a chunk of cash.

Last edited by roneski; 02-02-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 PM

I dunno, I don't need ludicrous power, but doesn't mean that I won't want it tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the TT, but $10k is a chunk of cash.

from my experience on my last FI car... power wears off fast. i would get a part and get retuned.... then a month or two later, i wanted more. I would probably still be in that cycle if the car wasnt stolen. It looks like i will be the same way with this one. I think i will go JWT TT... but it will be at least a couple months.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Ty - you need to take a ride in my car - my power is pretty crazy right now and I spent WAY less than $10k.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 AM

what is way less that 10k?? If you dont mind posting it. You can PM me if you would rather do that. Are you tuned? etc.... I am trying to do all my homework on FI kits right now.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM

Red face Violent Death

Originally Posted by ensmuns
For those of us that are married and decide to go F/I, the most important part of the entire process is the seperate credit card! No warranty, no returns, & no refunds if you're dead because your wife found out that you spent $4Gs+ on your car when she thinks you could've used it towards a new house or something.
Yea baby! Got that right!!
Old 02-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pope
what is way less that 10k?? If you dont mind posting it. You can PM me if you would rather do that. Are you tuned? etc.... I am trying to do all my homework on FI kits right now.
My kit and install and tune was in the mid $7ks... then again, it was the group buy pre-sale on the APS single.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by rob209
My kit and install and tune was in the mid $7ks... then again, it was the group buy pre-sale on the APS single.

thats a pretty good price. I am really digging into the FI section of my350z to see what everyone has to say abotu their kits. when does you boost start building and when is it full boost? can you post a dyno or maybe just email it to me at mikereggpope@gmail.com where did you get it installed?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:19 PM

Jwt Tt

Originally Posted by rob209
Hey Pope and Rob209,
I have a '03 6MT G35 and I am thinking of getting a JWT TT from san diego. I am not really a racer just a weekend warrior that want to be competitive or faster on a redline/mile w/ a Porche 911 carrera S or a vette Z06. I wanted to know if I want to compete with these two what do I need (hp-etc) in order to beat them with my turbo.

I heard the JWT TT does not have warranty?
How often is maintenance needed on the TT?
How is the reliability since it is a prototype?
How much total miles life can you get out from the turbo if you are not really a
racer?

I basically dont want to plop $10K or more and then after 50K miles or more it dies on me. If that is the case, then maybe a vette or porsche is a better buy if I want it to reach 100K+ miles or keep it for 10 years.

Thanks guys for your opinions!
Prvtman
Old 02-04-2006, 10:29 AM

I will answer what i can. I dont personally have the kit on my car. You would have to ask the other mike the rest (350znv) of the questions. Your questions suggest that you are pretty new to the turbo world, so my first suggestion would be to go to my350z and 350ztech and do as much reading as you can. Corky Bell also has an excellent book about boost that I would highly suggest you read. I dont remember the title right now but if it comes to me i will post it. I was in your shoes with my last car. I didnt know alot about boost, so i just read forums/magazines/etc every time i had a chance. Hope this helps you a little, its the best i can do with my limited knowledge of turbo VQ35's.

Originally Posted by prvtman
Hey Pope and Rob209,
I have a '03 6MT G35 and I am thinking of getting a JWT TT from san diego. I am not really a racer just a weekend warrior that want to be competitive or faster on a redline/mile w/ a Porche 911 carrera S or a vette Z06. I wanted to know if I want to compete with these two what do I need (hp-etc) in order to beat them with my turbo.

I heard the JWT TT does not have warranty?

How often is maintenance needed on the TT? Maintenence for a Turbo car really isnt much more than an NA car. You just need to check your oil level more often and change your oil every 3k miles. I used to check the oil every time i got gas.

How is the reliability since it is a prototype? the only reason this kit is considered a prototype is because JWT is attempting to get it CARB certified. Once they get the certification the kit will be released to the public. The reliability seems to be as good as any other kit so far.

How much total miles life can you get out from the turbo if you are not really a
racer? This is all relative to how well your car is tuned and how much abuse your car sees. Every motor is a little bit different and and every owner drives a little bit different. There is no real clear cut answer to this. If its tuned right, and you take care of the car well, then it should last a long time. If you push the limits of the turbo/motor then typically your car wont last as long. I know this isnt much help, but there really is no good answer for your question. If you wanted to be very safe with a turbo, you should just go ahead and build the motor for lower compression with forged parts and keep the boost at safe levels. That will cost you another 5-6k on top of the price of the turbo, but will allow you to go with higher boost and get more power safely.

I basically dont want to plop $10K or more and then after 50K miles or more it dies on me. If that is the case, then maybe a vette or porsche is a better buy if I want it to reach 100K+ miles or keep it for 10 years.

Thanks guys for your opinions!
Prvtman
Old 02-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Good post, Pope!

The Corky Bell pub you were referring to is:

- Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance) (ISBN: 0837601606 and/or 1899870237).

He also has the pub Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems (ISBN: 0837601681).
Old 02-04-2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ensmuns
Good post, Pope!

The Corky Bell pub you were referring to is:

- Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance) (ISBN: 0837601606 and/or 1899870237).

He also has the pub Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems (ISBN: 0837601681).

those are the ones, thanks ensmuns.