Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Buying a sport bike for the time being...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

Picked up my friends SV650S yesterday. I have to say that it's a fun bike. It's got a very linear powerband and is just friendly to ride. I'd tend to agree with everyone that says this is a great starter bike.

It contrasts quite a bit with my SV1000S which is just a torque monster. Hit the gas and the bike pretty much yells "WE GO NOW!" The 650 on the other hand is very smooth and is more like "We're get to accelerate? YAY!" Didn't get to play in any corners really, but the weight difference is also noticeable.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 PM

I just checked insurance with Geico for the SV650S and their quote was almost as outrageous as the Ducati: $2648.00

Is there any company that has lower motorcycle rates than others?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Progressive , farmers and of course check the company you have your car insured thru . Its best to have bothg of your vehicles insured thru the same company.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Political n00b crusher

Originally Posted by crabbey1
I just checked insurance with Geico for the SV650S and their quote was almost as outrageous as the Ducati: $2648.00

Is there any company that has lower motorcycle rates than others?
State Farm has always been pretty reasonable as far as bikes. For one thing, they only rate bikes as far as cc's.....they don't take into account whether its exotic or a cruiser or a sportbike etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:09 PM

Got Progressive on my ZX-9... $189/yr. for liability with one ticket. Would be $144 without the ticket. Would be even lower if I didn't have the high limits and instead had the minimums.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Progressive , farmers and of course check the company you have your car insured thru . Its best to have bothg of your vehicles insured thru the same company.
Yeah I have Geico for my car, but they told me that their motorcycle dept. is treated as a different company...
Old 05-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Yeah I have Geico for my car, but they told me that their motorcycle dept. is treated as a different company...
Ask if they have a "Caveman Reparations" discount. Then tell them you're a Caveman.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 PM

Also, take the class before you buy a bike. Borrow someone else's bike to get some of the basics. Get your license, then learn some more on borrowed bikes. Then get your own.

just understand that, the way you drive is likely the way you'll ride.

If you drive horribly... you'll likely ride horribly. I knew someone who was a mediocre driver (read: typical lousy vegas driver) who wanted to ride. This person will likely crash their bike quickly once they get it (if they ever do... they have financial problems affording a paid off car, let alone a bike), unless they take some extreme care.

I drive pretty aggressively, I ride pretty aggressively. I'm also an idiot and have come close to killing myself a few times because of my aggressive riding.

So, take note of that. It's not EVERYONE, but of all the people i know who ride... they drive the same way and vice versa.

good luck, be safe... vegas drivers are out there.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Ask if they have a "Caveman Reparations" discount. Then tell them you're a Caveman.
hahahhaa Geico has some of the best commercials...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Driven
Also, take the class before you buy a bike. Borrow someone else's bike to get some of the basics. Get your license, then learn some more on borrowed bikes. Then get your own.

just understand that, the way you drive is likely the way you'll ride.

If you drive horribly... you'll likely ride horribly. I knew someone who was a mediocre driver (read: typical lousy vegas driver) who wanted to ride. This person will likely crash their bike quickly once they get it (if they ever do... they have financial problems affording a paid off car, let alone a bike), unless they take some extreme care.

I drive pretty aggressively, I ride pretty aggressively. I'm also an idiot and have come close to killing myself a few times because of my aggressive riding.

So, take note of that. It's not EVERYONE, but of all the people i know who ride... they drive the same way and vice versa.

good luck, be safe... vegas drivers are out there.

Makes sense...

I already took the MSF class and I just got done with the Dirtbike calss this morning... It was fun as hell... My first trail. Reminds me of snowboarding a bit... The soft sand = powder....

Anyway, I know I am gonna get some flac, but after today, I am confident that I can handle the Duc... I agree with the idea that how you drive tends to be how you ride and truthfully it seems that I am a fairly safe driver... And I understand the risks involved with dropping a new bike like that... They seem to be more of a financial risk (which I am willing to take) as opposed to a health risk...

Anyway, I hope you guys can support this decision and maybe help me out with tips and tricks about riding... Hope to see some of you out there...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 PM

You'll be fine on the 695. You might miss the fairing once you hit the freeway though.

Check out:

http://www.scsportbikes.com/forum/portal.php

And

http://www.702sportbikes.com/index.php

Both are really good local rider forums.

Last edited by roneski; 05-18-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Anyway, I hope you guys can support this decision and maybe help me out with tips and tricks about riding... Hope to see some of you out there...
hey, gotta support other riders... we're all trying to avoid being squashed by SUVs

tip number 1: get good gear.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Driven
hey, gotta support other riders... we're all trying to avoid being squashed by SUVs

tip number 1: get good gear.
Tip #2 , wear the good gear you buy. For some odd reason most people crash on the day their gear is sitting at home.
Sweat washes off , road rash doesnt. You probably dont want to destroy your tats either.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Über User

get frame sliders, just incase you do that OOPS and let the bike tip over, they only do so much though if you dump the bike
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Are you guys worried about me dropping the bike at a gas station or in a curve? That is what I don't understand...

ANyway, thanks for the support, and maybe we can have a lesson day on the bikes somewhere? people can show me what they have learned over the years...
Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
get frame sliders, just incase you do that OOPS and let the bike tip over, they only do so much though if you dump the bike
Frame slider?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Über User

they are solid metal cylinders that bolt to the frame and the rear fork end where the rear wheel axle mounts i believe, they are life savers sometimes if the kick stand doesnt get kicked down all the way you let go it goes down, you most likely wont have to replace much of anything, maybe a lever or mirror.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:55 PM

they are solid metal cylinders that bolt to the frame and the rear fork end where the rear wheel axle mounts i believe, they are life savers sometimes if the kick stand doesnt get kicked down all the way you let go it goes down, you most likely wont have to replace much of anything, maybe a lever or mirror.
I will look into that... Man how did people find out about **** 20 years ago... Did they actually have to talk in person? hahahahah
Old 05-18-2007, 07:44 PM

there was phones back then too...lol

but yeah when you get good gear wear it all times....dont get into that mindset "**** wont happen to me" you dont know what the cars around you are going to do, or when that deer can jump out...stay safe
Old 05-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Über User

if you wanna go crazy you can get a cage for your bike, lol but that is for stunt riding.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM

Actually there delron or Nylon , the solid metal ones do more damage than good.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Über User

i never analyzed the material, lol, so i just made up something strong. wouldnt have guessed nylon though. not at all. the point wasnt the material though, just what they are.... well... idk, he gets it.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 AM

i never analyzed the material, lol, so i just made up something strong. wouldnt have guessed nylon though. not at all. the point wasnt the material though, just what they are.... well... idk, he gets it.
I do
Old 05-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Tip #2 , wear the good gear you buy. For some odd reason most people crash on the day their gear is sitting at home.
Sweat washes off , road rash doesnt. You probably dont want to destroy your tats either.
GUILTY!

I need to get a mesh leather jacket or something. I got a leather jacket I picked up in england and it's very stout. but, damnit it's heavy. in the summer, I only wear it at night or when I'm traveling on the freeway for a distance. Need to really change my mentality about it.

Tip #3: First mod, frame sliders. The first time you drop your bike (and you will), it'll help save a lot of money in fairing (or other type of) damage.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM

Well it is official! I am the proud owner of a 2007 Ducati Monster 695 Matte Black... I signed the paperwork today and take delivery on Tues... I also put a Ducati jacket in there with the bike... Leather/Nylon with hidden elbow and shoulder guards

Didn't dig their helmets though. Where do you guys recommend other than Cycle Gear?

Also, I got insurance through progressive for $1300 (much better than Geico's $3350) lol

Quick Reply: Buying a sport bike for the time being...