Upstate Z Club The Upstate Z Club is located in the Upstate of South Carolina and has members in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, SC.

ok ZDOC - I need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Question ok ZDOC - I need your help!

I don't want to admit this in front of my friends:

No. 1 - I don't know the answer to this question.

No. 2 - I need your voice of experience.

Nevermind, ...what is the possibility of carefully easing the intakes from my 240 without removing the exaust manifold and replacing the gaskets? Am I fooling myself that this can possibly happen and if it does, what is the possibility/probability of damaging the head or putting undue stress on the exaust manifold by placing having uneven torque on the bolts that hold both the intake and exhaust manifold? Any advice short of going ahead with removal of the exhaust and replacing both together?

Havin fun! gettin greaZy...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 PM

On my L24, the intake and exhaust shared the same gasket. Not sure if they make a two piece gasket. It's pretty easy to remove the exhaust, it's 5 extra nuts if I recall correctly. If you've never taken it off, make sure to soak nuts in penetrating oil first.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:41 PM
East Coast Style

Originally Posted by EZ350Z
I don't want to admit this in front of my friends:

No. 1 - I don't know the answer to this question.

No. 2 - I need your voice of experience.

Nevermind, ...what is the possibility of carefully easing the intakes from my 240 without removing the exaust manifold and replacing the gaskets? Am I fooling myself that this can possibly happen and if it does, what is the possibility/probability of damaging the head or putting undue stress on the exaust manifold by placing having uneven torque on the bolts that hold both the intake and exhaust manifold? Any advice short of going ahead with removal of the exhaust and replacing both together?

Havin fun! gettin greaZy...
I'm Not Z doc but I'm pretty sure you can just buy another gasket and just cut off the exhaust section and replace the intake only. Dose it have a header or stock manifold?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM

you right...as fast240 says it shares the same gasket AND BOLTS. Its a stock maifold but if i get this involved, I may just go ahead and put a header on it. As I think more about it, I probably should pull it off. If I rmovethe bolts that hold the exhaust and intake (with the special washer) I dont want to screw up the head by trying to peice it back together. wonder what the risk is? if its' simply a manifold leak, no problem, just fix it over. If I mess up the head ....
Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Sounds like good advice already.. The gasket is a one piece unit. After getting the intake off taking the exhaust manifold is easy. The best way ,and the only way I would do it, is to replace the gasket and make sure all your bolts or studs and in very good shape. The end ones are prone to break anyway. Be sure what ever exhaust you install back on is straight. Heat loves to warp them.