Upstate Z Club The Upstate Z Club is located in the Upstate of South Carolina and has members in Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson, SC.

New Upstate SC/WNC CCR SCCA Chapter Social

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:22 AM

New Upstate SC/WNC CCR SCCA Chapter Social

Hey, Peeps!

There is an effort to raise another chapter of the Central Carolinas Region (of the SCCA) to better serve the car enthusiasts of the GSP/WNC areas. Details are available through the link below.

Whether your interests are in Club Racing, Autocross, Rallys...or you just love cars...you're invited to attend a Social/Meeting set for June 14 @ 6:30 PM @ Ryan's on Laurens Road in Greenville, SC. We need a good showing, so help us spread the word and bring your friends!

Thanks, and hope to see you there!

todd owenby
taowenby@bellsouth.net
864-980-3162

http://ccrscca.proboards51.com/index...ead=1180697516

(Please, check the above thread often in case the location changes and don't forget to RSVP with Ted!)

Last edited by 1993 Civic Si; 06-05-2007 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:15 AM

In reading my previous post, I realized a fatal flaw. I know what I'm talking about, but the READER may not. So, here's a more detailed explanation.

The "SCCA" is the Sports Car Club of America. "CCR" is the Central Carolinas Region and is based in Charlotte, NC. The Upstate of SC and Western NC are in CCR's geographic territory.

Under the SCCA's guidance, insurance, and authority, CCR operates much as any other car club. There are monthly meetings and socials, an annual banquet, elected officers, and many sponsored events. The events include Club Racing (road racing track events), Solo (autocross), and Rallys (timed drives), etc.

We are a very social bunch! Even at competitions, members are always willing to lend a hand or offer advice. Many members are also enrolled in their respective car make clubs, as well.

The reason for starting an Upstate/WNC Chapter is most CCR events are in the Charlotte area. While there are many of us who commute, we feel there is MORE than enough local support for a local chapter. A local chapter would mean events closer to home!

If you have any questions, please contact me, or another member. You can post here, PM, email, call...whateva! Hope to see you on the 14th!!!

todd
Old 06-06-2007, 08:37 PM

This was brought up on another board and I thought it was a GREAT idea.

For those interested, but unable to attend the meeting, you can send me an email or PM for a petition, of sorts.

Please include your name, screen name and forum, location, and interests (autox, track days, road racing, socials...whateva!!!).

taowenby@bellsouth.net
Old 06-07-2007, 04:43 AM

Todd I sent you an email. I am a CCR member. I think the local club meeting is a great idea.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by jmark
Todd I sent you an email. I am a CCR member. I think the local club meeting is a great idea.
Thanks! I sent a response also. Gotta love the older Z's. I had a 1983 Turbo and a 1985 +2. The '85 is what I started autocrossing. Too bad it was an automatic.

Hope to see you there!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM

If you don't mind...

if indeed you honda guys are such hot shot organizers how about organizing your own web site?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 AM

Not at all...

Originally Posted by slalomskz
if indeed you honda guys are such hot shot organizers how about organizing your own web site?
Although a bit off topic, I'll gladly respond to your...question.

First and foremost, the SCCA is not a Honda Club. It's for ALL car enthusiasts and ALL makes of cars and encompasses a wide variety of motorsport and social events. An additional Upstate SC Chapter would bring all of these possibilities right to our backyard.

The reason for this thread, as well as the 5 other threads on other boards, is simply to spread the word.

If you, Sir, are not personally interested in any of these, I see no reason for a personal "jab." A simple, "No, Thank You," would've sufficed marvelously. Or better yet, no response at all. Further, your comment stands alone as the single degrogatory remark I've received thus far.

Secondly, I'm reasonably sure your stereotypification of me contains huge errors, as most stereotypifications do.

We (my wife and I) do own (and race) the little Si in my avatar. The car is not only an able autocross competitor in it's class, it's 40+ MPG is a great asset in my commute to Greenville for my second job.

In addition to the Si, we own a 1991 Miata and a 1999 Durango (the antithesis to good MPG!). During my nearly 41 years, I've also owned the 2 Z cars mentioned, which I loved and miss, 2 X1/9's, an MGB, a Z28, and a 1966 Mustang...to name but a few.

As for Honda sites, there are TONS. I have no less than 14 bookmarked in my browser, not counting CarolinaHondas.com.

Besides, "organizing" a web site isn't that much of a logistical challenge. However, organizing an active club is. Factor in the challenges of hosting succesful motorsports events and you DO have quite a river to cross.

This challenge, along with friendly competition, is what I love about grassroots motorsports. People from all backgrounds and passions work together and enjoy socialization, friendly and safe competition, and have a GREAT TIME!

To you, Sir, as well as anyone one else, the invitation remains fully open. Come share stories and a meal with people of like mind and let's establish a home for all types of grassroots motorsports, here, in the Upstate.

todd owenby
Old 06-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Why so long winded and defensive?

Tons of Honda sites, very nice, use them. You have no idea who it is your talking to. Irish Hills, Mid-Ohio ect, factory backed (BritishLeyland) Triumph GT6+. When what used to be the scca considers a civic (spelled any way it's not a sports car) anything but what it is, one can understand why the present day scca is the shell of what it once was. Perhaps I'll find some way to put a black hood and some clear tail lights on my weedeater out in the garage and call that a sports car, it'll sound just like a civic...Best to you and your efforts to do whatever with your "sports car" and the scca.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:07 PM

Dude quit being an *******, I don't usually talk, but ignorance like this just disapoints me. First off, this guy is coming out spreading the word to ALL racers about the events, and you shoot the man down for no reason. Secondly you're making fun of the mans car, to me a sin, calling his Si a sports car when he said nothing of the matter using a sterio type he stated he was clearly not a part of.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 PM

Quick Update...

Turnout for the Social was great! I'd say 40-50 people were in attendance. People expressed interest in autocross, road racing, and rallycross. Many area car clubs were represented. Thanks to everyone for your support, whether in person, or response here.

We'll have another Social next month. I'll post the details when the arrangements are finalized.

We've taken a positve first step with the strong showing tonight. Help us keep the forward momentum by attending our next Social. With a little luck, and a LOT of work, we may well have our first local event in December!

t