Upcoming track / autocross events Post or see what upcoming track events are going on.

NJMP-Lightning Track With PCA

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:45 PM

NJMP-Lightning Track With PCA

I normally drive my Miata which is set up like a Spec except it's supercharged. Unfortunatly, I had a trans problem and SC related problem 2 weeks ago on track--my car is and was out of action last week. I took my 04-350 ZR down to NJMP-Lightning course. with PCA. I was committed to instructing, I had 2 students. My Z is a street car, only upgrades are stainless brake lines and Hawk pads. Unfortunately, my pads had less time left on them that I thought.

I made it through the 1st 2 sessions and then ran out of front pads. Best I could do was find a set of Advance Auto Ceramic pads during the lunch break. As I was removing my tires to replace pads I noticed a 2" long by 1" wide piece of my driver front tire missing. That accounted for the thunk I would periodically feel--I thought I had picked up some rubber on the track. Needless to say my day was done. Instructing 2 students left no time to hunt down tires.

I made a few calls and best I came up with were Falken ZE 912's. Got them mounted at 8am the next day. Got through 2 more sessions when what was left of my rear pads went. Between the street all weather tires and the Advance pads, I found myself slipping, sliding and drifting around the track in addition to having to brake early.

I was the only street car surrounded by nothing but Porsche track cars and 1 Z06 set up for the track. Needless to say I found myself looking at the rear end of a lot of Porsche's but I still had a blast.