Other Cars Discuss any info on other vehicles in here.

My '75 Firebird has a Pontiac engine again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Cool My '75 Firebird has a Pontiac engine again.

Yeah I recently got a 400 big block Pontiac engine from my brother's friend for $50. It also turns free, and is rebuildable. It came out of a '77 Trans Am, which was a rust bucket, and ready for the junkyard. sigh. Anyway the engine is out of a '67 Bonneville or Catalina. Either way it is a high compression motor. That can be made to produce some awesome horsepower for my baby.

By the time I do what I want to do with it. It will cranking over 500hp or so. It comes stock with over 265hp. And because it is an old block. It is easily achievable. I am turning my '75 Firebird into a '75 Trans Am, that is what I have decided to do with her. I will post here, when I have more updates for all of you.

This will be come after I restore my '82 T-top 280zx. (Bluestreak) I still love the muscle cars. And in our family we cling to them. So I just couldn't get rid of my baby that I have had over 10 years.

I will be probably selling my '69 Buick Skylark engine with 350 tranny, and the rare Hooker competition headers. To fund my other projects. I am not sure what kind of price I am looking for at the moment. If I figure it out, I will post it here. Feel free to comment, and ask questions.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Finally got around to cleaning off my Firebird. I hosed her down tonight also. And I got 5 gallons of fresh power premium. And put that in her. And sprayed the carb. So I am going to run her tomorrow. And also take some pics of her too. I am kind of stoked, I haven't ran her in many months. Will be nice to hear a good old American V8 again.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 PM
eff good grammar

you has the pictors of this car?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:38 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
you has the pictors of this car?
Later today, I should have some new ones. I don't much care for the old ones I have. Sit tight, should be later today. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM

FYI...technically all Pontiac V-8's aren't truly small or big blocks, but all are intermediate, as the basic engines are nearly completely interchangeable between 301-326-350-389-400-421-428-455 (just referencing more common, newer V-8's, not the 50's stuff). You can take 455 heads & use them on a 350, use a 428 cam in a 350, etc. Although there is a journal size difference with the 421-428-455 being large journal engines. I'm sure you already know all that though. Wikipedia has a decent article on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_V8_engine

Too bad I no longer have my old 1970 Buick Skylark, I would have taken all that Buick stuff off of your hands...

Best of luck with the build, the older F-bodies are going to be worth a bit in a few years, as it's getting hard to find clean ones these days.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I know the pics are overdue. And I apologize for that...I need to replace my air shock lines..Because the rear end practically sits on the ground..lol Anyway I will eventually here..put the new lines on..clean her up. And take some modern pics of my baby. Anyway I have decided to get historic plates for her..She is over 30 years old. And would never again..be a daily driver. Also never have to worry about smogging her ever again. That way I can straight pipe her. Because she has Hooker competition headers. And take her out once in a while. And eventually when she is restored..take her to a car show. It will happen some point in my life..lol Just figured I would update on my Firebird for the ones that care..That is all for now..hopefully soon..I can get some recent pics of her..
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well the next update on this thread. Will be pictures I take when I am selling my Firebird. I have decided...that I am selling her to catch up my mortgage and then some. I hate to see her go. But I just have to be in reality. So my mind is made up. Unless by some miracle...I come up with a good sum of money. Yeah right...
Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Über User

could always sell your girlfriend in mexico or something.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
could always sell your girlfriend in mexico or something.
Dude..what are you on? And what girlfriend are you referring to? Were you drunk or smoking crack when typing this? lol Anyway going to work on the Firebird this Saturday. And hopefully have some recent pics of her. Stay tuned.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:02 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright..didn't want to mess with my Firebird last Saturday. My heart was just not in it. But now the fear of losing my place. I have changed my tune. I am going to work on her today. And try to get some pics of her. To show here...and on Craigslist.org

I am going to change the oil. Flush the cooling system. Tighten the driver side header. Because I am sure it is loose. Clean her out..fix the air shock lines. Hose her down....to take pics. Also I need to figure out why my battery drains. When it is hooked up for a short time. Anyway that is all I can think of at the moment. Will keep you all updated.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:54 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I got her running again. And cleaned her up some. Might put her on craigslist this coming week. I didn't get a chance to do a few things. But at least I started on it. Here some pics for you to enjoy. Thanks. Oh...I know she is rough looking. Been sitting for quite a while. And I just put her on the jackstands today. I need to do a few more things..before I put her back down. Anyway..more to come. Feel free to comment.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM
i felld offa mai trike

that's odd... that front end is DEFINITELY not a '75 Firebird nose... that's a '77-'78 nose piece... 0_o

And at least you put a Pontiac back in her! I absolutely hate it when morons put SBC's into these cars... And don't say that SBC's are any better/faster, because my dad's low-9 second '65 GTO will prove you otherwise [/rant]

lol, sorry about that...

I've got a '69 Firebird that will be my casket :P (my first car, my dad gave me when I turned 14, then we did a full 2-year restoration on it )
Old 02-08-2009, 02:39 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid
that's odd... that front end is DEFINITELY not a '75 Firebird nose... that's a '77-'78 nose piece... 0_o

And at least you put a Pontiac back in her! I absolutely hate it when morons put SBC's into these cars... And don't say that SBC's are any better/faster, because my dad's low-9 second '65 GTO will prove you otherwise [/rant]

lol, sorry about that...

I've got a '69 Firebird that will be my casket :P (my first car, my dad gave me when I turned 14, then we did a full 2-year restoration on it )
Close...actually it is a '76 Firebird Formula front nose. And I wanted to put the '67 Pontiac 400 back in her. She has a '69 Buick Skylark 350 rebuilt with only just over 6k on it. It is a great engine. But the big thing was...I couldn't put the original shaker air cleaner with scoop. Because the dizzy is in the front. And the carburetor sits too far back. Oh I hear you on the SBC. Talk about too common of an engine.

Anyway I am going to miss her when I do sell her. But if I do....it will help me buy back my place. Which is much more important right now. Thanks for the comment. And props on having the '69 Firebird. Would like to see some pics of that beauty.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
i felld offa mai trike

cuz I'm too lazy to post the pics individually, here's my CarDomain :P

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3082464

and my Youtube vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ynVKu6g7g
Old 02-09-2009, 04:48 PM

I just sold the `69 WZ motor from a GTO that someone put in my `78 TA. The `67-`69 blocks are different from `70+, and I actually wanted someone with a proper year car to have it instead of bastardizing it in one of my builds. So now I'm back to a `78 Z block.

I do miss that ridiculous torque... but I'll be getting that out of this motor eventually
Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I just wanted to update this thread. So it wouldn't get too lost in the shuffle. lol Anyway, I decided quite a few months ago. That that Firebird stays in my life. I just can't part with her. This month will be 14 years, that I have owned this sweet muscle car. And I just can't bring myself to sell her. Besides all that, I couldn't get much for her anyways. She is still pretty rough looking. And the economy is still shaky.

All aside, I just wanted to resurrect this thread. I am going to start working on my Firebird here in the near future. At least change the fluids, get a new battery. And get her running again. I am also going to rip out the cats, and the exhaust to the back. And just keep straight headers for now. I know it will be loud. But that is okay, she will never be smogged again. Going to be a classic car, when I am done. That is all for now.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Cool She's alive again!!

Yep I revived my Firebird two or three weeks ago after sitting for 5 years or so. And I am not going to let her sit anymore, unless I prepare to put her down for restoration.

I alternate 3 of my vehicles weekly. I am driving my Firebird this week, then my truck the next, and the week after that my Z.

After I rebuild the engine in my '83 280zx, and get it running. I am going to start rebuilding my '67 Pontiac 400 big block, and reach my goal of 500-600 horsepower when I am finished. It will not be hard to achieve, as the engine came stock with close to 300 from factory. And with that I will be attaching behind it a 400 turbohydromatic transmission I just got finished ripping all of my exhaust off, and putting just Thrush glass packs with chrome angled exhaust tips. With 2.5 inch exhaust diameter. And of course I am running Hooker Competition headers with the setup.

Anyway so much to tell, it would take forever. lol I just wanted to update for whoever cares to know.

Also I am running an Edelbrock 1407 750cfm 4 barrel carburetor, that I bought new at work.

Last edited by WildmaN; 03-23-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add another bit of info.