Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

steering column

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 AM

steering column

jderson mentioned an alternate steering column in the brake post. I'm intrieged by this as well. Seems like a good spot to shed some weight and simplify things a bit. Did some searching and found Borgeson. I like their intermediate colapsable shaft. This seems like it would be better than the column.

http://www.borgeson.com/home2.htm

I'd like to see what kind of fabrication and mounting others have done. How would one adapt Borgeson's ujoints to the stock steering rack?

Phil
Old 02-03-2004, 08:54 AM

I am going to use the intermediate collapsable shaft that came in the Z-Cars. No point in spending money where I don't have to. If you have ever taken a Z column apart, the shaft inside is pretty nice. cut it down to fit, turn the ends to fit, weld the rest on. I will be using some stock car heim joints, u-joints, support brackets, quick release and some 3/4" tubing to make up the rest of the parts.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:53 AM

Sorry, I meant to say you, jburge01, mentioned the column. So what your saying is your going to use the colapsable portion from the column, and modify it to fit the intermediate (rack to column) portion? Do you plan on adapting an aftermarket u-joint off the rack?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:33 AM

Yes. Modify the internal collapseable part of the Datsun column to fit into the DOM tubing I will use as shafting. I'll use standard high quality aftermarket ujoint at the firewall. Is there one at the rack too? Probably, I don't remember. I think I will modify the stock splined ujoint to fit the DOM tubing, unless I can find a nice new aftermarket joint with the right spline. I have everything but that ujoint. I need to measure the old one when I get it off. I don't hold much hope for calling up a vendor and getting any positive responses for a ujoint that fits a 240Z spline, but I've had good luck with specifying dimensions.

That spline on the steering rack is also an area that could promote project creep if I don't watch it - the leg bones connected to the ankle bone sort of thing - I might need a brand new race car rack and pinion with choices of rack gear ratios, and then you need some nice race car tie rods to go with that, and some nice adjustable LCA's and adjustable radius rods ......
Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM

I figure the rack is the largest hurdle as well. Borgeson sells smoothbore joint with the intent on mounting them with a double pin. Perhaps this might work?

Also, I was under the impression that a solid, but smaller bar like the stock one would be better. What's your theory on the hollow one?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:43 PM

That would be an option too. I would want to pull the rack and drill it on a drill press though so the holes are nice and round and straight. After installing the pins, weld over the holes so they can't fall out?

Tubing is a lot lighter than solid bar, and it is standard size for fabricated race car steering so there are a lot of inexpensive circle track parts available that fit.

Oops. Almost forgot, I think I have one of the splined universals that slip on the rack shaft somewhere (off an '83 ZXT). I will see if I can find it tonight so I can see if it is the same as the 240Z and measure it.

Oops again. As I am now thinking about this more, I think there were two standard sizes for shafting, 5/8 and 3/4. I may have bought the 5/8 stuff. It's been months so I'm not sure. I'll take a look at what I bought again. You can find lots of steering goodies in Catalogs like Coleman and Lefthander.

Last edited by jburge01; 02-03-2004 at 01:59 PM.