Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

solid motor mounts

Old 12-30-2003, 06:00 AM

solid motor mounts

Have any racers out there experimented with solid motor mounts. I have a pair made up, but just wondering what I'm in for....
Old 12-30-2003, 06:36 AM

You're in for a little more vibration and noise. Other than that, no great down side. I've run them for about the last 3 years and was kind of surprised how minimal the change was... Now solid tranny mount... that's a dfferent story! I could have sworn my trans was on it's last run when I put in the sold cross member a year or so ago. It still whines like a spoiled kid!

Tom
Old 12-30-2003, 09:50 PM

Hi Phil,

I have the entire drivetrain mounted solid in my car. The motor isn't really noisey once you get past the idle, which seems to shake everything. You do need to check all bolts and invest in 242 threadlocker (or whatever the green self-wicking number is). I seem to always find things that loosen up if not lock tighted.

Other than that the car will feel a little more responsive when you accelerate. I also think it helps in autocross when you slalom as the motor isn't moving. For kicks take your hood off and video the motor during a run and you'll be in for a big surprise. I couldn't believe how much the thing wandered around the engine compartment. I had to check to make sure stuff wasn't broken.

And if you do mount solid make the mounts horizontal rather than angled (like the stockers). This will help a lot when you put the motor in/out. Don't ask how I know this

It's also important to mount the engine and tranny solid as a unit. Otherwise you'll put a lot of stress into the one that is solid as the other will move.

Cary
Old 12-31-2003, 07:00 AM

Thanks guys.

Cary, do you have any pics? Actually I planned on doing exactly what you said not to. When the motor is moved back, I was going make entirely new perches off the crossmember, and fill the void where the mounts would be. But I can see how this would be a pain when pulling the motor out. With that said, I'm kinda in limbo as to how these will look now...

Phil
Old 01-02-2004, 10:41 AM

I have used factory motor mounts in all of my CP and GT-2 cars. I currently have the same ones in the original car I built 18 years ago and it has many SCCA and vintage races on them. Now tranny mounts and rear end mounts different story. gotta have those. The gain from solid motor mounts is negligable. Remember KISS,, (keep it simple stupid) )
Prowrench
Old 01-02-2004, 01:24 PM

I have used factory motor mounts in all of my CP and GT-2 cars. I currently have the same ones in the original car I built 18 years ago and it has many SCCA and vintage races on them.
Do you have the motor set back per GT2 rules? If so, what did you do to acomodate this?
Old 01-02-2004, 02:32 PM

NO the motor is in the original location. I have never seen the need to change it. I have only broken 1 mount as well(when I flipped the car 4 times) I have built cars for customer that requested this but they were no faster than mine. Mine turned a 29 flat at Road ATL in the old configuration and can run 12's at savannah I have just relocated out west so i have no times out here but will be running nasa and scca ,hsr west . It ran faster than most GT-1 cars so i never saw the need. You can spend your efforts in other areas to be competitive and have greater return. The oleZ's dont stack up against the tube cars out there but I race a Z not a sillouette on a chassis. I am in what is a "real" car and can pick off those guys and it ticks'em off. Specially some guy in a T/A car!
Again the best policy is to keep it simple and be consistant and look at what mods will bring the greatest benefit. Wheel offsets,brakes and brake bias and set up give bigger gains. learn the chassis and undertstand its dynamics and relation to the brakes etc, and you will go plenty fast. The time spent on that you can devote to something more productive.
Prowrench
Old 01-02-2004, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the insight. It never fails, you get an opinion from one person, and the exact opposite from another. I suspect that a good part of your success is the driver. Any pics of your car?

Phil
Old 01-05-2004, 01:40 PM

No problem, thats what these forums are for. I wish i had this resource 25 years ago before I spent the $ and made the mistakes I did. What helped me was showing up to an autocross 20? years ago with a tricked out Z I thought was "the ticket" well this guy in a plain jane z with a good set of tires waxed my buns! I learned the value of not having gadgets from him and leaned how to drive. I finally beat him and we had many knock down drag outs on the cone field but it helped. I went from there to now and I always preach consistency and setup and simplicity for reliability. I am no Mario A or PLN but I know my cars and what they do all the time and know the relationship on if you change this how it affects that. I aint rocket science..just common sense
Thanks for the positive comments I hope i can get my head in my car!!
Prowrench