Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

How to mount shoulder harness?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 04:40 PM

How to mount shoulder harness?

I've got a '76 which I hope to start autocrossing this spring. I've been working on it for a few years and its almost ready. It'll be a track-only car and I just put a pair of Corbeau seats in it and need to install some harnesses. I don't really want to put a rollbar or cage in it, and I need some way to mount shoulder harnesses. Anyone have any ideas on some way to mount a bar behind the seats to bolt the shoulder harnesses to? I've install camber plates on top of the struts, so I can't bolt anything there. Guess I could weld a bar in somehow.

Help please....
Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 AM

A strut tower brace is a must do on any competition Z. I beleive in any stock class or maybe BSP, you cannot weld a bar across the towers, but you can weld one across the down tubes for the roll bar. Even if you are able to mount some kind of tower brace, it's not the best spot to mount a harness because of the offset. Once in a while I'll see a car where the shoulder harness is bolted to the floor, DON'T do this.

Any of high speed track events (not autocrossing) will most likely require at least a roll bar.

If you definely don't want to put any kind roll bar in, such as an Autopower, you'd probably be best off fabricating some kind of brace which connects behind the seats. Just a thought, there's three 8 or 10mm threaded bungs on each side in front of the towers that are actually there for a factory roll bar. They would make a great place to start.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:09 AM

thanks

ya know, as much as I've worked on this car in the last four years, you'd think I would have seen those holes. I think that would be the perfect place for a bar.

thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM

FloridaZ,
Schroth racing harnesses had an execellent web page on how to
install racing harnesses . They even listed the mounting points ,
styles and angles. The site is under contruction right now , so I couldn't
link to it. I am trying to locate a copy of it , so you will have a better
idea of the locations and styles. Preith suggested the factory pick up points
by the rear packaage shelf. I will tkae a look at mine this evening and
see how that will work.

Mike