Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

FP or the new XP

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 PM

FP or the new XP

Are any current FP folks with light cars considering the new XP? I saw you posted some new pics FPguy. You have the lightest FP car I that know of. With a Z up to 3.5 liters you could run at 1800lbs. (optimistic) with the engine setback to the firewall and unlimited wheel size... a wing is legal too. Oh, any engine is legal with weight increases corresponding to cubic liters. I am not trying to thin the FP herd, it just seems like a fun class.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 AM

If I were considering a new engine, I would definitely give XP a a lot of consideration. It basically gives people an option to run any engine they want without having to run E Mod. It is restricted to tub cars, so you won't have to compete with custom built tube framed cars. I think the weight factor for NA cars is 1200 +200 lbs per liter. Super/turbo chargers get you something like a 1.4 multiplier on displacement. So with a 2000 lb Z you could run a 4 liter engine or a 2.8 turbo.

If I were to start from scratch and chunk any allegiance I have to old Datsuns I would look for the smallest lightest chassis I could find and stuff as much power as i could get into it. I think a blown Miata could be very competitive at about 1700 lbs, or maybe a small potent V6 stuffed into an old Elan. Or... or... It won't be a cheap class when it's all said and done, but it should be fun!

Tom
Old 12-24-2005, 04:36 PM

Xp????

This is the first I've heard of XP - where have I been??

I'll check it out. I have all the parts to create a killer 3.2 engine. All I would need are the wheels.

Interesting...
Old 12-25-2005, 11:24 AM

XP vs E Mod

Hey Tom,

After reading over the rules (lack of) carefully. I like the idea of so few rules. But I can think of numerous e-mod cars that could jump into that class without any significant changes - other than steam roller wheels/tires and a wing from a 747. I know of a couple Europa's (one rotary and one V-6) lurking in garages here in CA - just waiting for a reason to come out and play.

My car would require much more significant changes to reach warp speed.

But I still like the concept and will watch the class with keen interest

Steve
Old 12-26-2005, 07:39 AM

Hey Steve,
Keep in mind that if any of those EM cars have done anything that exceeds the Prepared rules, they are "in excess" and are not allowed in XP. That should keep most serious EM cars away. That said, I think you will see that lighter cars with a potent but smaller motors will be the way to go here.

Tom
Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Re: "Light" is right...

Hey Tom,

I agree with you... the light cars will be the contenders in XP. Both the Europas I mentioned are actually OSP (Open Street Prepared) cars in No.Cal. It's a pretty fun class that had a tremendous following for many years. They only have one rule.... DOT approved tires! Wait... maybe the second was "licensed for the street."

Regardless - I like those kinds of rules. Simple and easy to monitor.

Are you planning any major changes to the car this year?

We're changing the diff gear ratio, fixing the clutch (slip), bracing the front engine bay and rewelding the tub.

Steve
Old 12-27-2005, 07:29 AM

No firm plans for the race car this offseason (which is short in Texas). I was hoping to build some new rear control arms, but I have been too busy building a new pit bike. Then I'm thinking about working on making a margarita blender out of an old starter... Are my priorities screwed up? Hard to say!

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 09:50 AM

Re: Turbo Blenders

Tom,

I like the way you think! A starter motor converted into a blender will get you from 0 to margarita in nothing flat!

Some racer in the bay area was actually marketing a gas powered blender with handlebars and a motorcycle throttle.

I wanted one in the worst way.... but my wife (at the time) threatened to cut off my supply. I thought she meant tequilla - turns out I was wrong!

Steve
Old 12-28-2005, 06:22 AM

I've seen those blenders... A guy had one at Nationals and someone challenged me to make a better blender for the pits. So, I guess I have to do it, right?

Mine will be better because it will be key operated. Pull start, Hah! This is the 21st century!!

Tom
Old 01-01-2006, 07:44 PM

Re: High output blenders...

Tom,

I believe you're really on to something here. A high output blender with a starter key is a brilliant idea!

Can I convince you to bring it to an event here on the wrong (west) coast?

I'll bring the tequilla!

Of course my strategy involves massive numbers of margaritas - which will limit your driving skills the next day. It's part of my plan to even the scales between our cars.

Steve
Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 PM

That's the secret to my success! Throw a party for the competition!

Tom
Old 01-03-2006, 06:56 PM

Just for God's sake make it big enough to make use of all the power a stock starter supplies. Maybe use a stainless steel bucket? Dont forget to make the blades razor sharp!