Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

280ZX Racer

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 06:44 AM

I guess I'll be brave and try to help out. Lots of issues/questions.

First, you mentioned SCCA racing. What class would you like to race in? Its been a while since I've looked at the IT rules, but I beleive you need to have all the interior panels in it. Also, you'll need to keep the stock bumpers. Plus the days of having a street/race car in IT are long gone. Its easy to say I just want to have fun, but as soon as you start racing it's how can I get further up the pack and before you know it, it's no longer a street car. A full cage is required as well. It sounds like you might be best suited for solo I autocrossing.

As for the bare metal, personally I like it either the same paint as the exterior, or trunk (speckle) painted. In my car I put bed liner on the floor as well.

I'm curious as to how your going to keep the car emissions legal? First when you change to carbs, there was another post on here recently about not passing with triples. Second, I beleive IT is the only class where you can run the stock tank, but all the emissions equipment including the vapor tank and charcoal canister must be removed.

With all this we're just skimming the surface!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:59 AM

I'd suggest using POR-15 on the interior. It protects well and it looks nice when its done. You also should pick up an SCCA rule book for road racing and one for solo(autocross) racing and decide what class you want to build the car for. If you gut the interior you're looking at a faster and more expensive prepared class to begin racing in. If you are new to racing I'd suggest autocrossing to begin with. It will help get you involved in racing, get experience before you're door banging, and its easier on the budget to begin with. I did my first real track event not long ago and believe I'm gonna graduate from autocrossing soon to pursue that...man was it a blast!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:59 PM

I agree with Gary, get a rule book and solo II autocrossing would be best to start with, maybe in BSP. I also agree a gutted interior puts you in a more expensive class but even BSP cars aren't cheap. With that said, I can't think of another class other than stock for the Z. The bed liner I used was some left over which I bought from JC Whitney a while ago.