The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

What would you say to your mom?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 PM

Lightbulb What would you say to your mom?

This may be off topic, but what the heck.

Before I bought my 1977 280z, I wanted that car soo bad so I bought it for $300 with out my mother knowing . Now, the car is just sitting at the older owner's place (the older owner is nice enough for letting me leaving there for a month), I am working on the car at his place, trying to make it go. I am thinking what to say to my mother, I want the car but... what I should say? Any idea?

What would you say to your mother to convince her to keeping your imported car?

I used to have a salvage 1971 VW bug with out a motor before, I bought that bug for 100 buck, and drag that car for about few miles to my place without my mother knowing. Now it gone, some one bought it. I am hoping it will not happen to my datsun.

Look at the photos below, isnt she beautiful for $300?
Attached Thumbnails What would you say to your mom?-imag0162.jpg   What would you say to your mom?-imag0160.jpg  
Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 PM
eff good grammar

thats alota wax
Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 PM
ダットサンマニアック

Whats would be her reason for not wanting it in the 1st place?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
ダットサンマニアック

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
thats alota wax
yea , nothing a little wet sanding and buff couldn't handle
Old 04-14-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ASA240z
yea , nothing a little wet sanding and buff couldn't handle
Yes, she could need to be sanded and buffed out. So it look newer. What kind of sand paper I sould use? 800 grit?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Man that's a steal for that price. Props for finding one that cheap. I still someday want an S30. Anyway how old are you by the way? And why wouldn't your mother let you keep the Z?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ASA240z
Whats would be her reason for not wanting it in the 1st place?
I know she won't want it because it might be too ugly for her. But like you said a little clean out would not hurt.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Man that's a steal for that price. Props for finding one that cheap. I still someday want an S30. Anyway how old are you by the way? And why wouldn't your mother let you keep the Z?
Haha I know, that why I bought it. I am sure you will find one, they are mostly located in the salvage yards recked up, it would be a total project. My best geuss is because it might be ugly for her, or thinking it would be alot of work. I am just trying to figure out what to say to her about it.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 PM

I am 16 almost 17 tho
Old 04-15-2008, 12:25 AM

if you want it bad enough and she just will not budge on you not having it, then work out a way and a place to work on it where she can't see it. make it run good and look good, then she won't be able to tell you no.

just for clarification, your mother wont let you have the z because its ugly? (i assume she means dirty/dingy/needs-cleaning.) need to elaborate a little on why exactly she won't let you have it.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JPerkins
if you want it bad enough and she just will not budge on you not having it, then work out a way and a place to work on it where she can't see it. make it run good and look good, then she won't be able to tell you no.

just for clarification, your mother wont let you have the z because its ugly? (i assume she means dirty/dingy/needs-cleaning.) need to elaborate a little on why exactly she won't let you have it.

I probally was not clear, if I just drag the 280z and put it on the driveway, she sould be pissed. Now, I think she will get mad because, it take up too much space, ugly, to much work, problem with the coppers (it is not regisered and dose not run at the time), or will be complaing about the smog. But for me leaving it somewhere and making it new again should not be a problem.

Is there any tips still? Like avoiding the problem with the cops?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Über User

id say "with all due respect ma'm, go **** yourself" lol. no just get it runing then there is nothing to say but. look mommy i found a cheap daily driver that i will enjoy and is good on gas! as for sanding, do wet sanding with 1500 but make sure you wash it as you go otherwise it starts to settle and dry to the sanded surface also you dont want to go to far. then rubbing compound, nice buffing, and a wax job
Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
find out if mom likes old cool cars and what her favorites are....
then go borrow, beg or ---steal----a buffer, pads and compounds for buffing and polishing and waxing----sometimes the polishing compound will work better than buffing, as it is a finer grit compound and will leave some of the paint on your car after the job is done----then have the car brought home and repair it with a protector under it for keeping the floor clean --or mom WILL kill you--i know---i am a mom, ok??----and then take mom for a gentle ride in her---let mom drive her, also-----and be proud of your work, but not overly so----mom will back a project she sees come to full completion.....and will actually be happy her kid can ultimately fix HER car......ok?????? btdt.....try it.....
have fun and good luck----make sure it is polished and waxed at least in part before you bring her home and find out about mom's hidden love/hate for cooler cars.....you may be surprised........ps---if you steal the buffer and stuff, i am not responsible for your jail term, ........(disclaimer).....there should be a recommendation added to your sentence that you are only able to speak with tof and snowy for the rest of your formative years------.

Last edited by z-hag; 04-15-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
West Coast!

hey thats no fair sea-hag... i mean z-hag but where in cali do you live cause i have a friend who is letting me work on my z at his place and he has plenty of space for another maybe 5 or 6 cars hit me up
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Dude....you gotta cut the umbilical cord sometime. Just grow a pair and tell her. You're talking about $300 bucks here. If she gets pissed, then wait until you do grow a pair and don't care that she gets pissed. The solution seems pretty simple.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks every one, I know this might be too silly to ask, but it helped me alot. Again thanks, I am planning to leave the car at the older owner place with a car over covering it. And do alot of work on it. Making nice and shinny again is a great Idea, and keep it clean too. And to tonsoffun300zx, thanks alot bro for your offer, but too bad we are really far apart. Z-hag, thanks for a huge hint there this will help me alot thanks , but I don't just steal, I just use my skill to use them, just like what I did to buy this car for this cheap. snwbrderphat540, lol I wish I could say something like that, but bad idea lol. Just like the other say will be good enough for me keeping it.

Again thanks everyone
Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
Dude....you gotta cut the umbilical cord sometime. Just grow a pair and tell her. You're talking about $300 bucks here. If she gets pissed, then wait until you do grow a pair and don't care that she gets pissed. The solution seems pretty simple.
Yea dude, but it was worst when I got my old vw bug, she has the power to take it to the dump and get it smashed. So I thought just asking for some help would not hurt.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Über User

not really. if you got the title in your name only and she takes it and gets it smashed you can have her arrested. i'd do it to my mom. i love her and all but thats my hard earned money and property she just stole. **** i bought a 260Z for 1k off ebay that was a rolling chassis try explaining that to your parents. oh hey i got a car so ima need 1k from my savings and we gotta go get a trailer to pick it up tommorow. thanks dad!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
not really. if you got the title in your name only and she takes it and gets it smashed you can have her arrested. i'd do it to my mom. i love her and all but thats my hard earned money and property she just stole. **** i bought a 260Z for 1k off ebay that was a rolling chassis try explaining that to your parents. oh hey i got a car so ima need 1k from my savings and we gotta go get a trailer to pick it up tommorow. thanks dad!
Haha, yea thats true. This thing will be a huge surprize to her, but when its running good and look good I hope she will go ah ok, and walks off being damned.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Originally Posted by amanofgreatevil
Haha, yea thats true. This thing will be a huge surprize to her, but when its running good and look good I hope she will go ah ok, and walks off being damned.
she might even like it......
Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 PM
West Coast!

she might even take the keys when you are not home and take it around the black a few times who knows
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Queen of Yachts

Originally Posted by tonsoffun300zx
hey thats no fair sea-hag... i mean z-hag but where in cali do you live cause i have a friend who is letting me work on my z at his place and he has plenty of space for another maybe 5 or 6 cars hit me up
i do a great mean older sibling----because i have had a lot of practice---as number one child----and chief princess......i am great at mean....dont even get me started.......is toooo much fun.........and i am in san dago
Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
West Coast!

oops i forgot my comma i was asking amanofgreatevil where he lives but i already found out sorry sea-hag
Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Ruff Ryder

if she doesnt let you keep it i will take it! i need a car to drive around base in during training.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

where r u located in CA, LA perhaps?!?!