The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Targa Tasmania

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 AM

Targa Tasmania

Barbie has shown me that you guys dont know Targas! Your missing out dudes!

They close sections of roads to do timed runs. Lots of classes and different cars...This is our best, The Targa Tasmania

http://www.targa.org.au/Targa/Primar...ublic_day1.php

For instance...

The co-driver with his head down is a mate of mine

Last edited by Coolie; 01-16-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Targa Tasmania and New Zealand are great, Speed had some okay coverage of them this year (delayed of course, but still decent). The closest we get in North America is Targa Newfoundland, www.targanewfoundland.com, which is supposed to be great. Apparently, they'll televise some coverage on Global on the 27th.

In the U.S., I don't know of any Targa races, just the open road races like Sand Hills, Big Bend, Silver State series, etc. But they're not quite the same. Has anyone heard of a targa race in the U.S.? I'm sure it would be a huge effort to organize it. Newfoundland is just too far for me to drive, and I don't even want to think about how expensive it would be to get me, my car, and my co-driver down there for a week or more. Maybe Franck280ZX knows some good way to do that...

Dave

Last edited by BoulderZ; 01-16-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
pink cars and boys choose to drive them.....there is hope for the world, yet.............looks like they have the bomb sponsorship--all the donuts they can eat?????????leftover, of course?????

looks like fun.......never heard of a targa race.....please splain............
Old 01-16-2007, 08:52 AM

Yup Speed did have some coverage on it...I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Über User

HEY HEY..... i'm the REAL donut king.... posers
Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
The Evil Twin

Right hand drive!

I want a donut
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Donut King are the major sponsors for the team those guys were driving for and their colour is pink...You want the dough you paint the car.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:17 PM

I tried explaining it to Barbie last night...without much success heehee.

They set out a course around the backroads of Tasmania.
They split these up into stages.
They send the cars down at 1 minute intervals and time them
Then move on to the next stage

The co-driver in the car tells the driver whats coming up on the road
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Post whoring!

Some footage from last year's event including a co-driver reading pace notes

The guy in the silver daytona at 15-20 secs in the movie is Peter Brock, a racing legend here, he was killed in the car in September in another rally in the same week as Steve Irwin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp66wgSQwC8
Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Sounds alot like a road rally! I dunno if we do that here though, I forgot hahaha.

Also like Rally Sprint / Rally, except on the dirt. I have only done RallyCross (with the cones) but racing down a dirt road with directions from a co-pilot is what I want to do eventually!

The Targa sounds like a blast!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Über User

there are a few places that do rally, maybe some tarmac, but nothing proffesionaly really no WRC i dotn think anywho... which blows i <3 WRC!!!! i think they mostly take place around new york though.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
Sounds alot like a road rally! I dunno if we do that here though, I forgot hahaha.
Yep they are called a Tarmac Rally. We have a lot of local competition rally too especially in the forests around.
I used to do service for a friend who did it on the weekends.

Im really surprised you guys dont have rally events over there, especially as 240s and 260s are awesome rally cars. Surely you guys have some great roads for it.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Über User

dude, do you not see my post right abouve yours? we do.. just in seldomly places at seldom times.... and nothin huge
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
sheez--thats pro rally--friends of mine still do that----i never got into that part of racing.............but it does look like fun.......sports car club of america has a rally and pro rally division...........and that is what brock yates's cannonball run has become, by the way.......only modified........

Last edited by z-hag; 01-16-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM

Yeah I saw it Snowy, I mean like every weekend all round Oz a rally is on...and all sorts of cars driven by nutty guys like me that just like driving on dirt...none of this drifting crap
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Über User

drifting is reall precision driving though... lots o skill.. quite a few rally people get into it
Old 01-17-2007, 07:33 AM
The Evil Twin

I have donuts in seldom places at seldom times, but I never drove a pink car
Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 AM

Well, I guess that's what I'm wondering. Does any one know if it's just not possible to organize a Targa in the U.S. for a reasonable event fee, or has it just not caught on here yet, maybe no big sponsors? Some other reason?

We have tons of rally race events in the U.S.(though not pro or world class WRC stuff). For example, here in Colorado you can rally at least once a month all year round: http://www.coloradorallycross.org/ There are certainly regional variations, but generally there are lots of drag races, drift events, Solo2 races, off road stuff, and road-course track races. But public paved road race events are rare in the U.S..

We've also got plenty of rally drives which are definitely fun, but the roads aren't closed, and they're designed to keep speeds down to at or below the legal limit. Or they're celebrity media events like the Gumball and the others. As far as multi-day all-out races, Newfoundland is the only one I know of in North America (oh to have the Pan American race alive again). We've got a few more one or two day open road events than we used to have, and some hillclimbs, but where are the big multi-day events with open/unlimited class and closed roads? Just curious if anyone has looked into it, or knows someone who investigated organizing a Targa? I'd have to believe it takes a ton of time and staff, and an absolute pile of cash. Of course, that's kind of an obstacle right there...
Dave
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Queen of Yachts

yoohoo-------the SCCA does rally events-----check it out--------some of my friends from scca still do this--i didnot recognise the name targa---sounds like a touring porsche-------scca is online....................have fun.....they sanction all kinds of things from imsa to rallies to multiclass amateur road racing and rally events and soloI and II " and so on and so forth and dooby dooby doooo"*. please get in touch with them --you will enjoy them ...........

i understand some of the old crew are still there as workers.........and drivers...........

national headquarters for SCCA is engelwood, colo------contact them, please............

(*=sly stone)

Last edited by z-hag; 01-17-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM

Yeah, I've followed the SCCA stuff for years, and the ZCCC too (lurking until my car is done). Definitely great groups, events, and people. While they have a lot of different kinds of events, they don't do targa: multiple-day races with no speed controls on closed public paved roads. I'll be taking my 78 to the Solo2 events and the track events at LaJunta and the new East of Eden track and others, but I'm really hoping for targa type events. The closest we get is Sand Hills Open Road Race, Big Bend Open Road Race, and the Silver State series. But they're at most two day events, and about half of them choose very straight highways. Fun and challengin in their own right, but not the same thing. I'm just wondering why no targa in the U.S.? Newfoundland is a long drive from Colorado. Maybe the permitting would just be too ridiculous, or the insurance?
thanks,
Dave
Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Yeah, a girl I have been seeing does that kind of thing (rally-cross) we dont really have a name for it here. Its fun but not as terrifying at the same time heehee

Oh and Snowy, drifting isnt skillful...its learning one skill...powersliding. No rally drivers that I know here do it...its seen as not really a sport.

Its ironic that "Drifters" dont actually drift their cars...

Last edited by Coolie; 01-17-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Über User

umm... tanner foust? ever here of him? from WRC!!!! yeesh
Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 PM

one second-rate rally driver that wont be around in 2 years?
Snowy, please do better...you're embaressing yourself
Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Über User

foust is good....

what did whats his face start out as over in australie... rice millen or w/e hs name is...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM

I've always wanted a good sim software company to do a sim about the Pike's Peak run. That would be a blast. "Ultimate Race Pro" used to be a good racer for the PC, years ago. "Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed" was probably my fav...

Quick Reply: Targa Tasmania