The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

New to site.....awesome information.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:00 PM

New to site.....awesome information.

Hi all,

I really like what I see here so far and I just joined. I’m an older goon who, when picking up my date/wife in the 1980s with my 1971 AMC Hornet, would say “I’m here in my poor man’s ZX”. I decided I’d better get one and relish the 5-speed driving of it before I do really get too old. I found a nice Cali car with absolutely no rust which ran well with 138k miles on it. It needed a paint job which I had done with the original color and it had a leaky rack and pinion which I had to replace. It is a true joy to drive.....in nice weather only. I do not want it to be a trailer queen and will drive it/cherish it/ do meticulous cleaning to it. I replaced, but kept the old, spare tire and air can with a new full sized spare on new 14” rim since I’ll be driving it on hwys. Also picked up a car hauler w electric winch to use in case it needs to be taken to a specialty shop and is not drivable. Like with all my trucks/cars, I also put with this car a tool kit, spare belts, spare mini battery spare....one of those shaver sized power packs, and a few other odds and ends. The weather is just now getting nice and I find any excuse I can to take it for a spin. Even the wife likes it now that I’m driving the real thing which was a bucket list item for me as I’ve drooled over these cars ever since I saw them on the roads back when.

Here she is after a new rack and pinion, set of tires replacing the 20-30 year old ones, headlight covers, front end alignment, and a paint job.

Last edited by bgarthe; 03-30-2021 at 11:48 PM.