The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

red bull air race. anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Über User

red bull air race. anyone?

so idk if any of you know what the red bull air race is but basically, its freaking SICK! and its finally going to be "close" to me. a section of it is coming to detroit, the only other stop in america is san diego. im sooo going to go for the 3 days its there, plus its right on the boarder of canada so i can hope over the boarder and get trashed! any one here going to go? also, if you havent ever checked it out, do so here theres videos and everything to learn what its all about, pretty damn amazing stuff: http://redbullairrace.com/

it is a world series race but mostly exhibition if you ask me, but it is world class pilots and stops in abuh dabi and stockholm etc. so usually only onces a country so for it to come to detroit im phsyced!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

makes me wish i was still in San Diego. i would LOVE to go see that. they still do those pylon races down in Reno too.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

i saw the ads on tv looks sick as hell.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

oh yeah, and Su-26 FTMFW. those planes are nuts. suck it, Edge 540.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Über User

model wise i have an edge 540 its great but i like my yak better. im thinking about trying an Sukhoi next, that or an extra. not sure which extra though prolly a 260.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

ya, the yaks are pretty kickass too. if there is one thing the russkies can do right, it's aircraft (most of the time).
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
ok, boyzzzz- i saw it last year--i have no choice--they buzzzz down the channel wherein i keep my boat on a mooring.....this is not a show---it is a race, and not even using the best in the field----the racers are paid by red bull to do this just to advert tthe drink. it was not exciting. it was not fun. the funnest part was dressing in movie star sunglasses and black sexy clothes and watch the pilots dive over the moorings ot see who it is .........if the pilots were not corporate paid and corporate owned, the races might be actuaLLY fun----but the pilots, although decent, are not the cream of the crop. overall, very disappointing. we will be forced ot see it again this year, also, as they are coming baaaaaaack.............
Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Originally Posted by z-hag
ok, boyzzzz- i saw it last year--i have no choice--they buzzzz down the channel wherein i keep my boat on a mooring.....this is not a show---it is a race, and not even using the best in the field----the racers are paid by red bull to do this just to advert tthe drink. it was not exciting. it was not fun. the funnest part was dressing in movie star sunglasses and black sexy clothes and watch the pilots dive over the moorings ot see who it is .........if the pilots were not corporate paid and corporate owned, the races might be actuaLLY fun----but the pilots, although decent, are not the cream of the crop. overall, very disappointing. we will be forced ot see it again this year, also, as they are coming baaaaaaack.............

Negative Nancy.

Lol, kidding, I like it - I want to see it!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
the pilots i know were disappointed in the quality of flying done----it was unimpressive----they do not do stunts---they only run through a simple course with no extra flourishes......i wante dto see the funstuff----i love airshows and air rtaces----but this is not that, friends----watch it and tell me ......
Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Über User

i think you were watching the wrong thing. it is a RACE but the most intense kind of race, the pylons are not high and during turns wingtips are only 2 meters off the ground at +200 KTS which is very intense and full G turns in these planes. its very impressive, also the race consists of certain stunts after certain pylons. also, they aren't owned, some get sponsored by red bull which is why they have a red bull plane but they are ALL world class pilots look up their names and that says it all. even in interviews they say this is the hardest part of their career is the red bull air race more intense than their usual aerobatic routines. whoever your pilot friends are, aren't very good ones.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Queen of Yachts

snowy----there is no way i could have been watching the wrong thing---get freeeeking real----this is a sham race----you will see when you watch it---boring, disappointing, and the only thing good about the entire thing was the airplanes the pilots were not allowed to have fun with----they only fly the way red bull wants them to fly----the funnest part was playing with them as they flew very low over our boats. as we are in the flight path, there is NO WAY i was "watching the wrong thing".........VERY DISAPPOINTING .......have fun----and we are stuck with the mess again this year in may------oh, well---maybe it will be bettert his year than last--but i am not holding hope for that----the airplanes ae cool---too bad red bull does not allow the flyers to show off.....they are stunt planes and they are not doing stunts---merely flying around cones on the water...no big deal......
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Über User

its a big deal if you understand the physiological stress and intense precision they are under. and during the race they are confined to a specific course and set of stunts st each lap end as part of points scoring. like i said in the first post it is more towards exhibition but they do make money off of how they place as well so its not a sham. it was put together by pilots and red bull picked it up in 2002 i think. and the end of their run they are allowed to show off in celebration if they want.if you want aerobatics only go to an air SHOW not an air RACE. thats why i go to Oshkosh the worlds largest air SHOW. those are key words when understanding the type of flying displayed at air events. plus for me, it would not be disappointing at all even if it did turn out to be boring, which i know it wont, because there is a bridge to Canada in detroit where i can hope the border say aboot and get wasted legally. sounds win win to me
Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Doesn't post much...

Went last year...

Going this year.

Rod.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Über User

personal opinion on it then rod? very cool? worth it? is z-hag being a negative nancy?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
caught the z fever

possibly going.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Über User

do it.... i sure want to.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
caught the z fever

depends on my roomate. he lives in kalamazoo, so if he goes, ill probably head up there
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Über User

tell him not to be a duesch then lol
Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Queen of Yachts

you ought to go ----watch and see if there isnt something missing from the alleged air races----there were no stunts done with the stunt planes---no fancy stuff----and the races are lame.....but you need to see it for yourself----i havwe seen real air races and real air shows for many many years and i loooove them---this is lame.....but go------you might find something less lame about it than i did.......disappointing......
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Queen of Yachts

Originally Posted by entropy31
makes me wish i was still in San Diego. i would LOVE to go see that. they still do those pylon races down in Reno too.

ok----the time trials for the time trial "race" of one airplane at a time---a la solo I or autocross, in car talk, or indy qualifying--only one single plane is allowed to pass at a time---therefore the "race" is against the clock. in reno, there are REAL air races----more than one plane in the course at a time.....this is not a real race----it ids a time trial.....ENJOY.....boring and noisey with no fun stunts or racing against other racers.......have fun-----they fly just north of my mooring field---so we are captive audience......seen it last year asnd know what is coming......there are FREE seats in th eVIP room today.....not tomorrow---but today is free.oh---and i have a video of the practice that was sent to me by someone i know in the midst of the course.......just ask and you shall see.....

i would LOVE to go to the reno air races-----THAT would be FUN........REAL races..............have a good weekend, boyzzzz.....
Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Über User

reno air races intrigue me but idk, they do a pylon style oval race, thats why they can stick other planes in there, if you ask me, its the NASCAR of airplanes lol. though correct and ill agree again its not an acrobatic show its still impressive the skill speed and cornering done at the air race, also, there is usually a transition or two that require a specific stunt to be performed inbetween certain air pylons.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Queen of Yachts

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
reno air races intrigue me but idk, they do a pylon style oval race, thats why they can stick other planes in there, if you ask me, its the NASCAR of airplanes lol. though correct and ill agree again its not an acrobatic show its still impressive the skill speed and cornering done at the air race, also, there is usually a transition or two that require a specific stunt to be performed inbetween certain air pylons.

upd is no tallowing the stunts in any way shape or form......prohibited.....totally------they do no twant the ghey bhey destroyed for the navey.........so they mase stoopit rools that make the solo 1 of air races boring.......poor pilots were talking aboput that on the air the other day-----they arent allowed to do any stunts in this bhey........pfooey-----thats why i sed this isnt any fun........just noisey----after the pilots are done on th ecourse, they are flying ovwer our boats doing some stunt work====that part is fun----i really dig that stuff----but the redbull show itself is a dud...here, anyway.......i like to watch them play with their air[planes and make them do fun stuff---i like air-crobatics and stuff----these are only one plane at a time only on the course and no stunts........oh well......video for those who want it......
Old 05-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Über User

sounds like CALI set some weak *** rules then, i guess i can understand a little more why you dont like it, but dont hate on the whole race cause of cali and its duesch baggery lol. post up the vid!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Queen of Yachts

so--they let the pilots play with the planes in other venues????? that could bwe a kick---but here there is no common sense---just idjits from granola land and there is no fun in life anymore unless ya makes it yerself......and it is only san diego bay that is so stoopit
the video is 25 seconds an d i need to be able to forward it to someone who will in turn post it, please.......

Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Über User

sure need to email it then? email it to me snwbrderphat540@gmail.com

Quick Reply: red bull air race. anyone?