The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

The official post whore thread..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100
I've never had a chevy trans go out on me, unless i was doing 5k RPM nuetral drops or something retarded like that. the 4l60e/4l80e's and the t56 have proven themselves to be one ****in tough trans.
4l60e?? dependable?? Tell that to my neighbor that has 96 impala ss's stuck up his backside, none yet have made it past 55k on a tranny. Being as you brought it up, take a look around on the net on the subject of trailblazer and 454SS tranny/transfer case failure.
I will go along with the 4l80e for the most part though.(which I don't believe either of those use)

Last edited by bojo68; 07-23-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Ruff Ryder

I have 50k on the 60e in my GTO and with all the abuse it's taken it still works and shifts
just like it new, but I also have the line pressure turned up and the shifting points changed around. The 60e seems to be the norm around my little group for anyone with an lt1 ls1/2. now I've gone through quite a handfull of stock TH350's and muncies though.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I have a TH700 In my Chevy truck. Its not too bad tho Occasionally the Torque Converter seems to be really loud... and From 1st to 2nd it seems to slam into the next gear (like popping the clutch in a manual) Other then that it works fine lol
Old 07-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Ruff Ryder

thats it! going dashless in the z...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Hey Hoov, sense your such a Chevy nut, would would cause hard shifts in a TH700?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Hey Hoov, sense your such a Chevy nut, would would cause hard shifts in a TH700?
i dont know, I'm not a chevy guy.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ok that a load of crap. Sense you keep blabbing about sticking chevy **** all over a Z car
Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Ok that a load of crap. Sense you keep blabbing about sticking chevy **** all over a Z car
Hehe, I'm gonna be a LOT more guilty than he is, my parts pile currently has German, Italian, Japanese, Mexican and more or less by accident some American stuff in it... Liable to have some Chinese before long too.(wheels)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Mexicans made cars? I thought they got all the second hand stuff from like VW lol
Old 07-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Ruff Ryder

which is all common sense to anyone who even has the tip of their finger in the car world, because GM has put ALOT of R&d into the LSx series which has made it almost a bench mark in major manufactured v8 engines.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Ruff Ryder

woot, bought the first piece of my new exhaust!!!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 AM

which is all common sense to anyone who even has the tip of their finger in the car world, because GM has put ALOT of R&d into the LSx series which has made it almost a bench mark in major manufactured v8 engines.
LSx, a bench mark?? well maybe, took them 10 years to catch up to Ford though, and it's debatable that they have yet.(show me a mid 90's 300+ hp gm car that get's 27~28 mpg.) Yeah, they're a benchmark if ya want a big gas hog that will make a lot of power, but the world is full of those. I will give them credit for a physically small package though.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Mexicans made cars? I thought they got all the second hand stuff from like VW lol
Volkswagon, Ford, and the never ending pain in the butt Tremec transmission all have Mexican factorys. I THINK Tremec is manufactured exclusively in Mexico.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Nice cross over pipe hoov lol Now wheres the rest?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by bojo68
LSx, a bench mark?? well maybe, took them 10 years to catch up to Ford though, and it's debatable that they have yet.(show me a mid 90's 300+ hp gm car that get's 27~28 mpg.) Yeah, they're a benchmark if ya want a big gas hog that will make a lot of power, but the world is full of those. I will give them credit for a physically small package though.
GM released the ls1 in 98, and the LT series from GM is questionable, great for a cheap engine swap, if you need it to pass smog, but opti spark can go **** itself. and the only reason ford gets better gas mileage, is because they run what? a 4.5L now? hell the only ford car in stock form thats capable of keeping up in even a strait line is the 03 cobra with the blower and even then you have mod the hell out of there suspension to keep them from tearing themselves apart.

the best ford has to offer car wise (ford GT) is to expensive for the working man, the mustang, is well, just ugly, slow and full of plastic and have HUGE reliability issues. catch up to ford? please, ford needs to catch up with the rest of the world and atleast build a car in a respectable country. (not mexico) what next, you going to tell me edelbrock is better then holley?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Ruff Ryder

Nice cross over pipe hoov lol Now wheres the rest?
its an x-pipe, cross over pipe is an H-pipe. and theres really nothing left, just a couple feet of 3 inch pipe and some clamps, already have the long tubes installed.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Same diff but they both do the same job
Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Ruff Ryder

Same diff but they both do the same job
no, they both do different things, google it, if you want to get into detail.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM
The Evil Twin

does a Honda Civic HX have both an H-pipe and an X-pipe?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by Bleach
does a Honda Civic HX have both an H-pipe and an X-pipe?
only if it has the stage 7 chip first.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM

GM released the ls1 in 98, and the LT series from GM is questionable, great for a cheap engine swap, if you need it to pass smog, but opti spark can go **** itself. and the only reason ford gets better gas mileage, is because they run what? a 4.5L now? hell the only ford car in stock form thats capable of keeping up in even a strait line is the 03 cobra with the blower and even then you have mod the hell out of there suspension to keep them from tearing themselves apart.

the best ford has to offer car wise (ford GT) is to expensive for the working man, the mustang, is well, just ugly, slow and full of plastic and have HUGE reliability issues. catch up to ford? please, ford needs to catch up with the rest of the world and atleast build a car in a respectable country. (not mexico) what next, you going to tell me edelbrock is better then holley?
That's a nice bunch of mostly irrelevant bluster, but you sorta conveniently forget to address the question, imagine that. And yes, Ford runs a 4.6 litre. because they have more brains and know how, something GM couldn't even approach until they come up with their valve deactivation system. That is in fact one of the reasons WHY the fords are better. Fact of it is, Ford came out with a 4.6 dohc in 93 that gm can't touch yet. Like I say, show me a 300hp+ gm that gets 27~28 mpg, even if you do, it was nowhere near 93.
While we're throwing all kinds of irrelevant stuff, how many stock production casting v8 engine blocks, that weigh less than a sbc, does GM make that can be made to hold up to 2500hp??? So, now we've got GM losing the mpg, power, weight, and cost, the only thing left is dependability, and these dohc's run a LONG time....(WITHOUT rear main leaks too)
I know, it's hard to think of Ford as intelligent,(they're not, they sub out most brain work) kinda tends to make ya wanna throw up, but they got gm beat, especially now that GM is govt and auto union people owned.
Just think, one of the campaign promises of the guy that now reigns over GM was to inflate our tires to cure the gas price problems. This is the level of IQ of the BOSS.

OH, bye the way, your t56 came from that same plant in Mexico.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by bojo68
That's a nice bunch of mostly irrelevant bluster, but you sorta conveniently forget to address the question, imagine that. And yes, Ford runs a 4.6 litre. because they have more brains and know how, something GM couldn't even approach until they come up with their valve deactivation system. That is in fact one of the reasons WHY the fords are better. Fact of it is, Ford came out with a 4.6 dohc in 93 that gm can't touch yet. Like I say, show me a 300hp+ gm that gets 27~28 mpg, even if you do, it was nowhere near 93.
While we're throwing all kinds of irrelevant stuff, how many stock production casting v8 engine blocks, that weigh less than a sbc, does GM make that can be made to hold up to 2500hp??? So, now we've got GM losing the mpg, power, weight, and cost, the only thing left is dependability, and these dohc's run a LONG time....(WITHOUT rear main leaks too)
I know, it's hard to think of Ford as intelligent,(they're not, they sub out most brain work) kinda tends to make ya wanna throw up, but they got gm beat, especially now that GM is govt and auto union people owned.
Just think, one of the campaign promises of the guy that now reigns over GM was to inflate our tires to cure the gas price problems. This is the level of IQ of the BOSS.

OH, bye the way, your t56 came from that same plant in Mexico.
did you forget about the lt5? the reason GM doesnt go with a SOHC or DOHC v8 in their muscle cars, is because they want to make power, isnt that the entire point of a muscle car, go fast and make *** tons of power? who gives a flying **** about a SOHC or DOHC 4.6L ford, they suck, they break alot, they dont make **** for power, the one 4.6 they made right, was only made for two years, face it, ford couldnt hack it with their push rod motors, so they dumped half a liter and went SOHC, couldnt keep up with the real cars, so they went DOHC and added a blower, couldnt market it at a reasonable price, so they dumped the blower and, dropped .1 liters and added an ugly *** body with an even more hideous interior, 4 years later they are just now getting around to re designing it. in all honestly cry me a ****ing river you hippy ford loving piece of ****, go drive your hybrid off a cliff and die.

(the t56 has proved itself, unlike the ford)

Last edited by hoov100; 07-24-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
The Evil Twin

What is this 300hp engine you're talking about anyway?

The Thunderbird and Mustang didn't have over 300hp in 1993 and none of them even touched 27mpg highway. Are you talking about the Police car engine?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 PM
NisTuner

This car is driving me nuts. It's taken so much longer to get it running than I've wanted. Set backs, getting stuffed polished, the fact that I don't always have access to the car. Anyway I plugged off the N42 PCV valve, drilled and tapped a new section on the N42 for the PCV so it fits pretty much perfect now. Well I've found some interesting crap. The head I bought, two of the holes for the valve cover have stripped out threads preventing the valve cover from being tightened. We tapped one to a standard size and that fixed it, didn't do anything for the other side. I get the exhaust manifold on and go to put the intake on, well one of the bolt holes for the intake is stripped out so that can't be tightened. What should I do, drill it larger and tap it, can it be helicoiled or something? Most of the threads are there, but basically it gets to the end right where it would start tightening then slips and is loose again.

I've got the wiring in and pretty much done, the downpipe is bolted up(the holes for the MSA downpipe needed to be drilled larger so it would fit, then there was the fun time of getting the nut to tighten down past the welds.) Refilled my tranny and diff with redline. I have my tokico struts/springs in, painted pretty much the entire suspension, finished putting in the entire energy suspension bushing set, got patch panels welded up for my driver's floor pan. Had my gas tank completely cleaned and redone. There's very little left to do...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 PM
i felld offa mai trike

Got my leaky header on, and took a vid! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29dHX...eature=channel

I've given up on trying to fix the leaks, because all of the nuts are uber tight as it is, and it's still leaking, albeit nowhere near as badly lol

Next for her, I think, is going to be building my high-comp flat-top filled N42 block/shaved P79 head motor (just got the head today, lotsa work for me to do on it! I plan on porting the exhaust ports out to square-port size, and gasket matching/bowl work on the intake runners, along with major work done to unshroud the valves, and I think I'm going to try those "cylinder head grooves" that I read about just for $hits and giggles, along with high rpm valve springs, chromoly retainers, SS swirl valves, and probably a .500"+ lift cam )

Last edited by PurePontiacKid; 07-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: The official post whore thread..