The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

The new Metallica album....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

The new Metallica album....

I got it yesterday...and all I have to say is.. It is the best album since And Justice For All... It really hooks...and has some killer riffs..crazy solos. And Lars just beats on those drums...with some crazy and amazing rolls. Not bad for a groups of old farts. They can hold their own with the best of them. Props to Metallica for getting back to what they should be. "Death Magnetic" get it when it comes out in stores. It will be well worth it. The whole album is great from beginning to end. And has a lot of their old style mixed in. With even progressive type melodic thrash. See for yourself...and be the judge. The WildmaN says...it kicks a$$!! And I am a picky person when it comes to metal..especially with a band. I used to worship in my teenage years and my early 20's.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
hay---even i like it-----so it has to be good......been hearing it on dago radio and didnt cringe---is realluy quite excellent, actually--they have a gooood driving drummer and some most excellent guitar...........
Old 09-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Über User

def a good album since they IMHO havent cam out with a song i would rate even close to good since their whole napster BS'ing in the late 90's. but i still dont like them just because of the kinda people they seem to portray. used to but once they bitched about napster got lawsuits setup blah blah blah (they are pretty much the main reason file sharing is illegal) and just to make more money... as if their true fans werent going to keep buying anyways. im almost 99% sure their income didnt change with the debut of napster. i just bothers me how materialistic and just whiny they were about that crap and then how horrible their music became. haha.

but i agree ive heard a couple of their new songs and a huge step up
Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 PM

I agree man. And St.Anger...oh god I'm a drummer that snare drum lars was using was horrendous =/.

I miss the good old stuff like One, Battery, Enter Sandman, Whiskey in the Jar, Wherever I may Roam etc.

The only complaint I have about the album is that it seems the are trying some new stuff with time signatures and the like, and it doesn't suit em as much as the old grass roots stuff they did.

But definitely better than their last ones.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

i DL it two days ago.
I drove around listening to it in my car yesterday.
They got fast again. Lars found his bass again.
It honestly thrashes. I like it.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
NisTuner

People have been complaining about the new album, saying that audio wise it's not on par with their older albums. That theres extra noise and stuff that shouldn't be there. People have been downloading the Guitar Hero rip of the album and saying that the quality of the tracks is way better. My friend then downloaded the GH rips and he said it was noticably better.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 AM

Well....I gave them a shot. I too downloaded "for evaluational purposes" the Guitar Hero version of the album (Flac) and listened to it in foobar. Well, it's definitely not - KILL 'EM ALL, Garage Days Re-Revisited, Ride The lightning, Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All. I must say that I am let down again with MetallicA. I hate to say it but they just aren't what they used to be. Back in the day I thought they were pretty damn good and in my opinion, back in the day, were one of the BEST cover bands...case in point Garage Days Re-Revisited...awesome.

It is my thought that if you are going to be "metal" as MetallicA once was in the early days then you shouldn't change how you make your music i.e. drinking, drugs and parties. It just makes for better metal music. You also shouldn't turn on your fans. MetallicA should have stayed one of these two ways...James, Cliff, Lars and Dave or James, Kirk, Lars and Cliff (r.i.p.) That was MetallicA and they were stupid, partying, alcoholic, drug addicts and they rocked!! They should have stayed that way until they all died from the drugs and drinking instead of dying like they are now with everything from the black album till now. They are just dragging it on and on...I would have pulled the chord a long time ago and remembered them as a kick *** metal band and not as what I see them for now...in it for the money and not the fans.

I did have the chance to see them in concert in ST. Pete Florida and they rocked...they played all the old stuff...Pre Black Album. Hell, even Kid Rock rocked.

Concerts I have been to:

Megadeth - Testament - Judas Priest (1990 Columbus Ohio)
Marilyn Manson (Club 5 in Jacksonville Fl)
Lords Of Acid (Club 5 in Jacksonville Fl)
Megadeth - Coal Chamber - Life of Agony (2000 Jacksonville Fl)
Motley Crue (2000 Clearwater Fl)
Metallica - Kid Rock - Sevendust (St Pete Fl)
Kiss - Aerosmith (Tampa Fl)

Old 09-22-2008, 10:44 AM

The tunes are great. But the recording engineer and mastering house used way too much compression/limiting on the final mix. Alot of people are saying the Rock Band mix is better. Thats because they use less compression/limiting on mixes which go to video games and radio for that matter. Radio stations use extreme compression techniques. That way they dont have to sit there and raise and lower the volume of each song. Let a piece of equipment do it for you. Now if they used the same mix they put on the consumer cd on rock band then the sound would be very bad. Consumer CD mixes in the past 10 or so years have been getting louder and louder. To the point where the dynamics of the music suffer. The "Black" album sounds great on a hi-fidelity stereo system, the new CD hurts your ears after a while (no dynamics). Do a google search on "Loudness Wars". People think louder is better. Sad to loose so much fidelity and dynamics when all you had to do was turn up the volume ****.

Last edited by BushM4; 09-22-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by thxone
It is my thought that if you are going to be "metal" as MetallicA once was in the early days then you shouldn't change how you make your music i.e. drinking, drugs and parties. It just makes for better metal music. You also shouldn't turn on your fans. MetallicA should have stayed one of these two ways...James, Cliff, Lars and Dave or James, Kirk, Lars and Cliff (r.i.p.) That was MetallicA and they were stupid, partying, alcoholic, drug addicts and they rocked!! They should have stayed that way until they all died from the drugs and drinking instead of dying like they are now with everything from the black album till now. They are just dragging it on and on...I would have pulled the chord a long time ago and remembered them as a kick *** metal band and not as what I see them for now...in it for the money and not the fans.
That's some extremely flawed thinking right there.
Basically what you're saying that if they all/partially died that would make their music better/legendary. So many bands/performers have gone that route and what do we get? A few albums of "legendary/iconic" music and that's it. What if those performers/bands had lived to give us more great music to enjoy? Would that make their previous efforts that less great?
I personally have enjoyed pretty much all that MetallicA has offered us. I like the variety they've provided so that i don't get bored of hearing the same thing album after album after album. A good example of that is Korn. Their sound hasn't changed at all imo from their first to last album and it's kept them from being an iconic band. They're good but experimentation and risk is sometimes needed to progress as artists. Not changing is just playing it safe and only appealing to your hardcore fans which as a professional musician seems to be limiting yourself dontcha think?
It's music and solely subjective but i think expecting anyone not to change at all over time seems unrealistic.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 09-22-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:06 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by thxone
Well....I gave them a shot. I too downloaded "for evaluational purposes" the Guitar Hero version of the album (Flac) and listened to it in foobar. Well, it's definitely not - KILL 'EM ALL, Garage Days Re-Revisited, Ride The lightning, Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All. I must say that I am let down again with MetallicA. I hate to say it but they just aren't what they used to be. Back in the day I thought they were pretty damn good and in my opinion, back in the day, were one of the BEST cover bands...case in point Garage Days Re-Revisited...awesome.

I did have the chance to see them in concert in ST. Pete Florida and they rocked...they played all the old stuff...Pre Black Album. Hell, even Kid Rock rocked.

Concerts I have been to:

Megadeth - Testament - Judas Priest (1990 Columbus Ohio)
Marilyn Manson (Club 5 in Jacksonville Fl)
Lords Of Acid (Club 5 in Jacksonville Fl)
Megadeth - Coal Chamber - Life of Agony (2000 Jacksonville Fl)
Motley Crue (2000 Clearwater Fl)
Metallica - Kid Rock - Sevendust (St Pete Fl)
Kiss - Aerosmith (Tampa Fl)

Dude...I have always thought you were cool and all that. But this post...doesn't really hold anything And kind of sounds lame. You don't have to do drugs...party and all that other lame crap. To be a musician..and such. And for somebody that did drugs. That it cost him to damage the nerve in his arm. Making him unable to play his guitar. Because of the Heroin he would shoot up. Yep..you guessed it...Dave Mustaine of Megadeth. After he went through therapy and such. He cleaned up..and even became a Christian. And in my opinion...is better than he has been musically in years. The System has failed...is pretty much the hardest album. Megadeth has ever put out in their existence. And United Abominations. Is one of the most melodic and progressive. Which both show...how the band has gotten better with age. Without all the stereotypical partying and drugs scene.

Now with MetallicA. I will admit...I didn't like them after they put out Load...etc. albums after that. And St. Anger was a horrible produced album. Mainly one..no guitar solos..and two. Lars sounded like he was banging on trash cans. Then of course the big stink with Napster and crap. Turned me off of them for a while. Over the past few months. I have learned to tolerate their less appealing albums. I now have everything they put out since the beginning of their career. But Ride The Lightning...will always be my favorite album they ever made. But anyway...I didn't like Death Magnetic at first. But after a couple of times listening to it. It grew on me...and then I was very impressed with what they have put into it. Very impressive to me. And nice to see Kirk playing that Gibson Flying V again. And ripping out his solos...with not a lot of wa-wa and crap..lol

Anyway not trying to offend or put you down man. Just stating my views and opinion on this. I just wanted to share how I felt..and where I was coming from on the subject and such.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

best Metallica song EVER=Whiplash. that is all.