The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

My friend started a new site... giving it exposure

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I'm pretty sure all three of those were during track events. But what good is modding a sports car for performance if you can't take it to the track? "Form follows function" and "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right" come to mind.
i believe form w/o function is refered to as Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements....
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Über User

even though this thread is now off topic, and what im about to add is not helping, i feel its somewhat necesary.

rota's are cast and not forged, however through much research, not using rota sites but forums and the distributors of many wheels including rota's that use those forums, there seems to be only about 5 cases of rota's breaking, all were in the first generation rim design where there was an excessive amount of material removed to save weight, i haven't came accross another post about a broken rota later than 2003-2004. all the wheels were broken at track days except one that hit a 4by4 or 2by2 doing 80. but the dealers all agree on rota having the exact same testing standards as volk and SSR etc. and the only real problem i found doing this research was a company that no longer carries konig because of one rims design flaw and konig saying that that rim isn't meant to withstand track conditions and refused to offer any refund to the customer, that guy then posted about 10 other cases with pictures of the exact same konig rim failing in the exact same place. also, on these forums the rota company themselves posted an apology and to fully replace any damaged rims, and to one guy a slight nominal shrinkage that occurred during casting (not technically a defect) just to keep him happy. so, in the early years i seems on specific rim from rota had some problems. not a problem now. also, on distributor posted a picture of his bent volk and a HRE wheel that he broke the hub through, neither replaced by the manufacturer and both done at track days then he posted he has yet to do this with a rota wheel. also, he DD's a 600+whp car on them no problems and theres a few fully legit (professional) tarmac racing cars that use rota. so bottom line, they are a kick *** rim now. problems back in the day, but their customer service is amazing and will fully replace any damaged rim, so you can't really go wrong there i guess.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
The Evil Twin

Thanks for the research Snwy

Now I wish Rota made the RB or RB-R in 18's.... maybe 20's!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

lol rotas ftw nice little write up snw
Old 03-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

OMG STICKY THIS!!!! cudos snw!!! whatever that means
Old 03-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

No offense, Eric, but to say that there are only 5 cases of Rota wheels breaking and that you came across every instance of broken Rotas by searching the internet is kinda ridiculous... but that doesn't even detract from the fact that Rota shamelessly copies high-end wheels and manufactures cast versions of them. AMS comes to mind with their knock-offs of Z32 performance parts designed by other manufacturers.

I also never said a forged wheel couldn't break, just that cast wheels aren't as strong... that can't be denied. If it's between two wheels, one cast and one forged, I'd spend the extra money for the forged ones. Leave the knock-offs to the ricers.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Über User

sorry, i shouldn't have put it into terms that those are the only cases! they are however the only ones i came across in a few hours of searching. surprisingly most of them on the subaru forums. one on a mazda forum. and one on a canadian forum so some of it was in french haha. however i the latest ones i came across were several years ago, so i believe with the problems they made improvements. and they do steal some/many designs, but, thats kinda typical in the automotive industry, and especially wheels, how many designs can your really come up with that are both stylish, sturdy, and light weight.

also, when did AMS sell Z32 parts? they for the most part do amazing work now, have some amazing records, smart people and so on, they do custom work, and obviously re-distribute stuff, so far they don't have any R35 stuff of their own for sale and are mostly just redistributing exhaust parts from amuse. but this interests me... when and what did AMS do this stuff with the Z32?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The most recent and blatant example is the "AMS" manifolds which are essentially Mike Smith (MSP) manifolds, just sold for less because they're manufactured in China. There's active protesting on TT.NET against purchasing any AMS products because of this type of behavior. Of course, the problem is that it's hard to prove since (as has been said in this thread, though erroneous) people think "there are only so many ways to make a given product." Searching TT.NET will yield many responses of this sort, I'm sure:
"I think AMS should be ashamed of themselves for what they have done."
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...&forum=general

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-20-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Über User

ic.... and is this the same AMS im thinking of? the on here in west chicago? known as the best DSM engine builders? with the quikest and fastest evo8 in the world? and i think fastest KA24DET in the world?

also on another side note, after a long night of sleep i also remember rota posting on one of the suby forum's where people were starting to get a little bashy on them that out of the 25,000 rims they sold that year in the US i can't remember the exact number of complaints they got back but i think it was between 1 and 25..... i'll see if i can pull that up again. though i don't want to say hey stealing ideas and designs is cool, it always happens, and if it were a true performance part and not just a wheel i'd have a problem, but everyone seems to copy everyone else in the world of wheels, you can even look at designs between high end companies and you will see alot of similar designs if not the same. that stuff happens. ANYWAYS!!!!!

your buddy doesnt seem to hate them to much

follow the link : http://fakewheels.com/2009/02/262/

or am i just simply missing out on his sarcasm?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

No, not the AMS that builds DSM's, the AMS in Canada (www.AMSMotorsports.com). I figured we were mixing those up, but I didn't think anyone would think of the DSM tuner when I mentioned Z32 parts.

I already said something to the owner of the site about his hypocrisy with some of the descriptions... his response was "heh... yeah, made a couple of twists here and there."
Old 03-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Über User

haha, couple twists. i didn't know there was an AMS canada, and yeah i figured it wasn't either but they have done some work with 240sx's and now the R35 so i thought maybe in the past before i cared they did Z32 stuff, so i figured I'd ask.... shhh.... we will just let that one slide for me this time.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

No need to be embarrassed to ask to let this slide - I was going to differentiate between the two because I remembered there was another AMS, but I thought maybe I was mistaken because a quick google search for "AMS" didn't show it... then when you mentioned it, I remembered that I had actually never seen their website but had seen the sign as I drove past on 294 and also seen videos of their cars on youtube.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Über User

amsperformance.com is their site if you have any interest. i recommend checking it out to see what R35 exhaust parts cost haha!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I don't need that site to show me how expensive GT-R **** is...
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...07.246.188.101
LO****INGL
Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

well i personally will never buy cast wheels i will always get forged. the white car had rotas and he was at the track when the wheel broke.

even though most cast wheels only break at the track. what is the point of having a fun fast sporty car if you cant do anything with it in fear that your wheels might break?

my buddy also had cast rota wheels with the double thin spokes on his bmw e30 and bent every spoke at the track the wheels almost broke i will try to find the picture when i get home.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I don't need that site to show me how expensive GT-R **** is...
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...07.246.188.101
LO****INGL

Originally Posted by Nismo *****
Sold as 1 Quart, 10 are required for complete refill.
wow so if your rebuilding the trans thats $680 just for fluid? ha...ha... mabe this whole r35 thing was a bas idea...

Last edited by 280zx2by2; 03-21-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Get outta my way.

I have a friend that has rotas on his 240sx. He drifts at tracks very often and has slammed his wheels pretty good, hasn't broken or even bent any of the four wheels to this day.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM

i had a set of rotas on my protege for about 3 years and i bought them used from a kid who had them for 2years already and never once did anything like that happen in fact the only reason i sold them was becasue i bought a five lug car and they were four lug. but seriously most of the time its the opposit the knock off wheels are heavier becasue instead of being made from forged aluminum there made from steel iron ect. so in most cases they wont bend or crack as easily as the real name brands would.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Ares
most of the time its the opposit the knock off wheels are heavier becasue instead of being made from forged aluminum there made from steel iron ect. so in most cases they wont bend or crack as easily as the real name brands would.
Wrong. Please do more research before posting again. There's a reason that nobody else in this thread tried arguing what you just did - they all know it's wrong.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1510
When forged and heat treated, the light (SG=2.7) and common aluminium alloys exhibit some mechanical properties comparable with many grades of steel. (SG=7.8). The strength to weight ratio is therefore far superior. For example, the alloy 2014-T6 has a typical UTS of 485MPa, exceeding that of many grades of steel, and all commonly used Al and Mg casting alloys. Unlike some casting processes, forging is always porosity free thus allowing relatively straight forward heat treatment processes that significantly improve selected mechanical characteristics. The lower cost 6061 Al attains typical values of 310MPa, which is also superior to, for example, A356 (or 601 type) Al casting alloy whether that alloy is semi-solid cast, squeeze cast or gravity cast. Further fabrication by welding is also available with 6061 aluminium, opening the opportunities for many other applications.
Forged Aluminum is used for high performance connecting rods (BME rods - used in Top Fuel dragsters - are forged aluminum), pistons (Wiseco pistons are 2618 Aluminum), etc, for a reason. It's both stronger and lighter. Heavier does not presuppose stronger.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Just a quick question about that wind test... don't the wheels need to be spinning for an accurate result?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
The Evil Twin

I wonder if my Rotas are made of iron!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 AM

SNW: Thanks for the little info on Konig. Any refusal to cover warranty is reason enough to boycott; even if we're not hearing the full story!

[with certain exceptions, of course]
Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Bleach
I wonder if my Rotas are made of iron!
Well... technically... Steel is made from Iron.

But my Stillen by Boyd Coddington wheels are Adamantium.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Adamantium? Did you really just say that?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Ain't nuttin stronger den Adamantium!

Quick Reply: My friend started a new site... giving it exposure