The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Dam..I was surpised

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Ruined By Spudz

Dam..I was surpised

Yah just messing around a while back with my sister's car, a 96' Eagle Talon TSI AWD (turbo, hellz yah haha) i found it was considerably faster then my Z, well its only rated at 12 less horse at the crank at stock then a N/A Z, but AWD acceleration is like...WHEW! haha I did a AWD launch with a friend in the backseat (watching him in the rearview mirror) i rev up to 4 grand and drop the clutch...haha funniest **** to see his head hit the hatch glass haha. N/A Z can't hit 60 in 2nd ..im guessing gearing..i could do 0-60 in about 100 less feet in the Talon over the Z. My love still goes to the Z tho. Gotta love them glass headlights .
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 PM

Weight plays a big factor.......if im correct even a 2+0 NA is considerably heavier than a TSI is it not.......plus isnt the z notorious for a bad rear end squat on launch........But your right TSI's of all years have the power to plant you in your seat. Gotta friend with a 92 16g turbo manual boost controller and other goodies.......snaps you back real good
Old 09-16-2004, 08:42 AM

I used to own a 97 Eclipse. The curb weight on a gsx(tsi) is roughly 3600, and the rest of the model is around 3200-3300, so its close. I have done all sorts of work on eclipses. Very stout engines. Very mod friendly. Fun cars to drive.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Ruined By Spudz

Thumbs up

Yah i weighed my N/A Slicktop on a scale at a weigh station,(i think half tank of gas) it weighed 3300, my sisters talon I thought was gunna be really heavy but it turned out to be just over 3400 lbs
Old 09-16-2004, 02:49 PM

well do a few launches like that with your AWD car and your driveline is not gonna hold up well. a buddy of mine has a 2002 wrx and he kept launching over and over until he ended up with a broken tranny... it's a fun launch and all but it's not worth the price. Thats why i wanna RWD car....
Old 09-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Ruined By Spudz

Thas why most who race seriously with AWD cars disconnect the front drive...so its RWD but still have the option to put that AWD stance in..
Old 09-17-2004, 06:24 AM

Yeah i heard that...too bad it doesn't come as an option from a factory
Old 09-17-2004, 08:41 AM

In the years I spent working and learning on those cars, I never once heard of anyone who was able to disconnect the front drive on the cars. They use a center diff, and I never heard anyone make it so only half the diff works . Switching from all wheel drive to Rear wheel drive doesnt make sense as I would rather have an AWD launch than a RWD launch. Plus, even if you did convert it, your still carrying all the awd components(weight). But I guess anything is possible with no limit to money.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I believe that you just remove the front driveshaft from the center diff
Old 09-17-2004, 09:06 AM

I went back to my old haunt (dsmtuners.com) to read up cause I didnt remember seeing anything. Apparently with those cars you have to swap the transmission, weld part of the diff, and turn the engine 90 degrees. According to the moderators who were replying to the threads, claimed that it was very difficult, very expensive, and overall not worth it. I would rather just learn to drive the awd rather than switch to rwd and no have any improvements in quarter mile. I think people would do it more out of having a novelty i.e rwd dsm. Not worth it in my opinion. Of course the idea of doing it never crossed my mind so i never really looked into it. I could see switching from fwd to rwd being worth it.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Ruined By Spudz

haha yah i suppose you could keep AWD...but i hope when you get into serious draggin' and start doin AWD launches with 1000+ horsepower you like replacing your driveshaft every other run
Old 09-17-2004, 10:03 AM

I must've made a wrong turn somewhere. I thought this was a Z site. I knew I shoulda made that left turn at Albuquerque.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:19 AM

Ha Ha Ha. Good call. Were just trying to help people understand how lucky they are to drive a RWD vehicle.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Moved to Off Topic.