The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

D1 in Irwindale, CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Externally Wastegated

D1 in Irwindale, CA *pics added* 56K beware!

Is anyone going to the D1 event tomorrow? Just wondering. Should be fun, lots of drifting, a bunch of vendors and cars on display. Last I checked the estimated attendance is ~10K people. Well, I'll try to take some pics tomorrow, but it all depends on where I end up in the stands, and how crappy the weather is going to be. It looks like it's going to pour...

Last edited by lifegrddude; 03-05-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:26 PM

Man, wish I could be there.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Bad Speller

I HAD TO WORK!!!! I HATE MY BOSS HE'S A *****!!!! I HATE BEING ONE OF THE TOP WORKERS EVERYONE WANTS MEH BUT NOONE GIVES MEH A WEEKEND OFF!!!!

-Juanton
Old 03-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Externally Wastegated

Okay, I just got back in from the D1 event and wow it was a lot of fun. Thankfully the weather cooperated and it was sunny and warm till the sun went down. Anyway, there were a bunch of cars on display and practically every single car there had a major power mod of some sort whether it was a turbo, supercharger, nitrous, ITBs, or carbs. I didn't take any pics of the actual competition, I got sidetracked catching up with a couple of old friends while trying to watch the drifting. You can always buy the Option dvd when it comes out.

Here's practically all the pics I took before I sat down in the grandstands to watch the competition. I apologize for some of the whitewashed photos, but the sun was directly overhead, and I didn't have much time to play with the camera since it seems like common courtesy has definitely left the American attitude. People would walk right in on your photos and not care even if you asked them to move. There was one older guy with a nice 240z in the parking lot, too bad he was a *****. Can't even give a fellow Z enthusiast a compliment without him getting all pissy and defensive... Anyway, just had to vent a little haha. Enjoy the pics.

Falken's Z33, with some extremely wide tires, they were 355 in the rear!!!

The wheel with the deep lip. Seems like deep lips are the name of the game for now, I barely saw any stretch tired cars.

Your basic SR swapped 240sx.

A Vortech supercharged S2000.

I thought the wheels were pretty interesting since they were painted the same as the body.

And the rear.

Last edited by lifegrddude; 03-05-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Externally Wastegated

Nadine Toyoda's S13, simple, but nice.

Have no clue who owns this S13, but it was different because the exhaust flange on the turbo was a 4 bolt outlet like the 280zxt instead the of the 5 bolt that most newer Nissans use.

Wide bodied and turbocharged Avalon. Your grandma's ride on steroids!

You can barely make out the intercooler.

Recognize this motor? JZ series with a single turbo conversion.

The JZ swapped Lexus SC.

One of the few Imprezas I saw for the day and the only one that I took a pic of.

V8 powered FD RX-7, the guy did the install in his garage. Pretty nuts, but man it sounded mean when he cranked it up.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Externally Wastegated

Another S2000 sporting a fmic.

Weld Techniques Factory's insane S14 Silvia, this car had so much custom engineering done it took me 4 shots to get it all. I have the pics, but I'll post if you all really want to see some of the details...

Simple and clean S14.

Stretch tire S14.

Fat lip on an FD3S wheel.

Wide body FD3S RX-7.

R34 GTS-T Skyline with an RB26 swap, funniest part? It was a/t. I don't know what kinda stall it has, but it's gotta be pretty high to get that turbo to spool.

Closer look at it.

Holy big inlet Batman!!!

The intake manifold of this beast was just as impressive.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Externally Wastegated

Imamura's old FD RX-7, he drives a Z33 now.

Hard top Lotus.

R34 GT-R.

Side shot.

Rear shot with the carbon fiber lip spoiler.

Insane 10 sec street Civic, I didn't like the wheels at all though.

Evolution 8, it was nice, there was a lot of crazy body modifications to aid downforce.

Another purpose built Evolution.

NSX, can't say much more except nice.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Externally Wastegated

This FC3S RX-7 had a huge single turbo and direct port nitrous aiding the motor's output.

Carbon fiber parts were in abundance for the new Mustang. Seems the aftermarket industry is really embracing this vehicle.

Carbon fiber Elise parts!

Weber carbs, now where have I seen those before??? Oh yeah, 510s!

The carbed Levin front Corolla GT-S.

3SGT-E powered Levin (rhd).

That thing had a huge turbo for a 4 cylinder.

ITBs on a the 4ag motor.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Externally Wastegated

Thought this was cool, turbocharged Civic Si. This car is getting aftermarkets parts faster than my neighbor's hamsters can mate.

Clean G35.

Spoon modified S2000.

Q45 modded up.

Street legal F1 style car. Price: 95K dollars. Motor: 327 SBC w/ 4 spd a/t.

Very nice Corolla GT-S.

Rear shot.

Had to take a couple more pics of the S14s on display.

And that's about all the pics I have. Hopefully I don't run outta bandwidth, but whatevers. BTW, I heard that JGTC is coming back this year, you all should definitely try to make it to that event. It's friggin awesome is all I can say. There's rumored to be 3 venues for it, one on the west coast, midwest and east coast.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:26 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

wow!!!! rice galore!!! w/e.... to each his own....
Old 03-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Very nice pics........... I had my fill of carz last weekend at the Performance Nissan meet about 3 miles from there. The canyon run after the meet afterwards was the best part. I'm waiting for the real racing to start at Irwindale next weekend. :-)
Old 03-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Externally Wastegated

Rice? How? Every single one of those cars minus the Q45 could probably wipe the floor of 90% of the cars on the forum. I thought rice was looking fast or having body modifications but no engine modifications. Those cars had modifications which would easily put them on par with vehicles in a higher class of performance.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I definately agree, that rice is looking like your fast, but still stock with your fart cans. Those cars you posted, are definately not rice. A little fancy, and decked out for me. But to each his own on that one. All aside great pics dude.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:08 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

you guys are right, i was a little quick with my rice judgement. i see so much rice out there that it's kind of a unconcious reaction, big wing = rice. upon further consideration, those are some nice, if a little gawdy, cars. they are certainly capable of backing up their looks. that silver FC must be an absolute beast.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by entropy31
you guys are right, i was a little quick with my rice judgement. i see so much rice out there that it's kind of a unconcious reaction, big wing = rice. upon further consideration, those are some nice, if a little gawdy, cars. they are certainly capable of backing up their looks. that silver FC must be an absolute beast.
heck with that. most of those were rice. dont pu**y out cause most members say it will wipe the floor with most the members here.

Its just an excuse to be ricey.

and to clarify myself, there were some clean cars posted. but like that Weld Techniques Factory's insane S14 Silvia, even IF it does 8 seconds down the track, its still a ricer to me.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:59 AM

Funny, I didnt' see any rice. I saw a bunch of cars with a butt load of money and HARD WORK invested built exclusively for the track or show. Those are cars with a purpose. I think its sad that people can look at some elses hard work and then go and put it down. I think the term rice should be banned from this forum. It's overly used and overly abused. What happened to the day when rice meant neon sprayer nozzles and glowing license plate frames? Now just because a car is tricked out beyond belief people just call it rice. Almost ALL of those cars pictured above were built by respectable companies in the industry. Sure they're from Japan so sure they're ricers by simple genetics, but the way the term rice is used now days is lame. ESPECIALLY on this forum. And if you look around it's generally the conservatives (not in a political sense) that throw the term around most often.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 AM

Dang John, nice pics...send them to my hotmail account so I can show my bro. Jeremy and I miss Oki and Japan.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Funny, I didnt' see any rice. I saw a bunch of cars with a butt load of money and HARD WORK invested built exclusively for the track or show. Those are cars with a purpose. I think its sad that people can look at some elses hard work and then go and put it down. I think the term rice should be banned from this forum. It's overly used and overly abused. What happened to the day when rice meant neon sprayer nozzles and glowing license plate frames? Now just because a car is tricked out beyond belief people just call it rice. Almost ALL of those cars pictured above were built by respectable companies in the industry. Sure they're from Japan so sure they're ricers by simple genetics, but the way the term rice is used now days is lame. ESPECIALLY on this forum. And if you look around it's generally the conservatives (not in a political sense) that throw the term around most often.
yea, a but load of money and hard work to make their car look rice. any modifications to the car that has no purpose other then to make the car appear anything but factory is rice.

and about built by respectable companys, there is nothing respectable about any company what so ever. they build the cars so show off what ricer crap they have to sell to the public. they dont care about anyone but the buck.

if in anyones eyes the ugly bumpers, flashy paint, body remodifications and extreme engine mods that wont make the motors last long seem okay to you, then all to its own.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Ok let me change respectable to respected. That said, I didn't notice too many ugly cars in those pics. Like I said, some people prefer the conservative approach and those are the ones that go on to call the kinds of cars pictured above rice. It's a matter of taste. I prefer for my car to maintain a clean look to it. Nothing gawdy. But that doesn't mean I think anything flashy is ugly. I like almost every car pictured above. But would I ever build my car to look like one of those? No. But I still give respect to the person who built it. And trying to make a buck is perfectly respectable. It's when companies try to take advantage of us that they become unrespectable. They put in the effort to develop parts and build these show/race cars and we reward them with our money. Thats the way it works. Tell me how that makes a company not respectable? Whats wrong with Flashy paint? Those are show cars and race cars. The whole point is to draw attention to the vehicle. Of course it's going to be flashy.

Well I just went back through and looked at all the pics again and, well... I didn't see any rice this time either
Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Tell me how that makes a company not respectable?

like i said, they sell crap that they put on their cars to othe people who thinks its hotness when its really ugly and ricey. no company respects anyone unless you have the mighty buck. theres nothing wrong with making money dont get me wrong on that, unless its ricey crap.

Whats wrong with Flashy paint?

nothing... unless your a ricer

Those are show cars and race cars. The whole point is to draw attention to the vehicle. Of course it's going to be flashy.

wow...really?

lots of people put effort in a lot of thing. these people decided to put effort into making their car a peice a show/race car crap

and i went back even though god told me not to just to see if the cars are still ricer crap... and well, now im blind but i can still type without looking at the keys.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Externally Wastegated

I did say that those cars would wipe the floor with most of our cars on this forum. It's the truth. My Z wouldn't hold it's own against those machines out on the track. I'm not saying our cars are crap by any length, but from a performance standpoint, those cars are a class above. I respect what they have done to their cars and the ingenuity the builders used in creating their cars.

Not all those cars are built by a company on an endless budget. Quite a few of the ones I photographed are built by regular car enthusiasts who happen to take their rides to the track too. You'll see them at open track events and drift days. I don't understand how you sit there and call them ricer when their cars are modified to perform at speed and they have the power to back up the "racecar" looks. If they had a crapload of neon lights, a huge exhaust and nothing under the hood, fine and dandy, I'd agree they're ricers. But they don't.

If you think flashy paint is rice, I guess we should all petition the dealerships to start selling cars in flat primer colors and tell NASCAR and WRC that they're ricers too since their cars are obviously no way related to the OEM body anymore. I guess the people at the hot rod shows are all rice too, with the big scoops, shaved doors and pointless blowers on their V8. Right... I think you have a misconception about the term rice. But whatever.

If you were to have attended that show yesterday, you'd probably have a different opinion of the companies involved in the track/drifting scene. I got to talk to some of the guys at Tanabe, ACT and Falken. The Tanabe guys showed me how they modded their downpipe for the WRX to reduce turbulence when the wastegate opened up and how I could do the same if I changed my turbine housing out to a 5 bolt face. Hell, they even said I could stop by their office if I wanted to check out how they modified the wastegate flap to allow full clearance of their divorced downpipe. Out to make a buck? Sure any company has to make a profit to survive. But they do appreciate their customer base too. I agree with jfairladyz, some people just call anything different rice.

Last edited by lifegrddude; 03-06-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by KENZ
and to clarify myself, there were some clean cars posted. but like that Weld Techniques Factory's insane S14 Silvia, even IF it does 8 seconds down the track, its still a ricer to me.
read the quote... people can read can they?

and i repeat myself, modified motors are the perfect defence from anyone calling them a ricer.

sure they can smoke me, heck even smoke most here, but when you have too much **** on there that doesnt serve a purpose, then that is a ricer.

some people still got the fast and the furious bug and doesnt know a ricer if it kicked them in the pssssssshhhhhhhhttt. but what ever.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Right, so anything that doesn't look stock must be rice NOW I understand. So wait a minute, that front fascia on your Z32 didn't come stock on your USDM Z32 Oh my, that means you've got yourself a ricer. I mean that fascia must've cost you a few bills right? And it obviously didn't help horsepower. That makes it rice according to your definition. I guess that means we've all got a littel rice in us huh

Besides, like I said, all our cars come from the land of the ricing (not a typo) sun. So they're just naturally ricers from the factory and you cant argue with that simple fact
Old 03-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Right, so anything that doesn't look stock must be rice NOW I understand. So wait a minute, that front fascia on your Z32 didn't come stock on your USDM Z32 Oh my, that means you've got yourself a ricer. I mean that fascia must've cost you a few bills right? And it obviously didn't help horsepower. That makes it rice according to your definition. I guess that means we've all got a littel rice in us huh

Besides, like I said, all our cars come from the land of the ricing (not a typo) sun. So they're just naturally ricers from the factory and you cant argue with that simple fact
the first post i totally agree on. wow, you totally pwnted me. your so smart.

so, yes it was rice for me to do that. though some will disagree with because my bumper really is stock, from japan, it is ricey to do that.

+1=you

0=me
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM

It's all in fun. I'm not here to **** anyone off. And dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking your car either.I like the clean look your car has. And thats the type of look I prefer on my OWN vehicles. I say we just move on