The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Corvair . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Corvair . . .

So I have a Chevy Corvair motor that I have had to resort to getting up and running in a VW project. Anyone ever had any experience with these? Ive never really heard of any negative characteristics but then again I have had zero time with'm. The motor apparently had a rebuild before the body was wrecked, after which I picked it up for 300 bucks. This was YEARS ago. I never had a chance to run it and its just sat, covered and cared for. So yea. Any of you old timers have some insight or advice before I jump headlong in to this?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Taste My Rainbow

What Motor Size?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Its the only air cooled, rear engine set up Chevy ever made. Its a boxer 4 type or 6?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 AM

The only thing I can gather from memory is that they were prone to leak oil and were notorious for eating fan belts. Other than that, not too bad of an engine, specially the Spyder 140hp turbo motor, the 110hp dual carb. motor tended to be a bit under powered. Oh, it's a air cooled flat six.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Well here it is in the process . . .

Old Porsche 914 motor

"New" corvair motor-although im not sure which model it came out of im going to be running a custom made manifold with a holly 2B carb on it

Engine out . .

Engine in

Custom intake manifold for use with a 2B carb

and heres the main page where i'll be updating the progress http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2421544

Last edited by apollo; 08-01-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 AM

Looks good! Looks like a 110hp engine (dual carbs).
Old 08-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Nice. 110+ in the bug should be an interesting drive . . .

http://californiamelee.com
Old 08-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Loves Going Topless

Had a 66, 110hp. There was a 4 barrel setup with 120hp and the turbo 140. They are nortorious for leaking oil around the pushrod tubes mainly and fro blown headgaskets. lubriplate the **** out of the "O"rings on the pushrod tubes, they usually get pinched or not seated properly. Aways carry a spare belt for them. Everything runs off that one belt.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

So the 2B holley carb that came with the box-o-stuff when i bought the motor had me stumped for a minute. I called everywhere tryin to find a replacement or rebuild kit to no avail until i contacted Jegs. They didnt have anything BUT they were able to tell me that it was from an Edsel. A friggin Edsel of all cars. So of course nobody is going to have a replacement. I bet most of you have never even heard of one till now. So to make a long story short, i did my homework, found a suitable replacement carb from a mid 80's ford mustang ( the edsel is an old ford ) and just have to remove all the smog crap from the new carb and hook it up to run with the new manifold. Sweet.
Check out the site for pics . . . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2421544/1
Old 08-06-2006, 08:05 AM

fond memories

had a 67 with the 110hp and two carbs, 4spd. used to be a green ghia that ran a warmed over corvair motor (back in the days). it could put the wup-*** on a lot of small blocks, chev, ford and mopar.
just keep up the maint, it'll make an killer upgrade for the bug! i'm thinking you had to run the transporter (vw bus transaxel) to handle the extra hp.
BJ
Old 08-06-2006, 08:37 AM

I used to have a '69 Baja with a built 1776 in it. Made about 150 HP. That thing hauled ***. I used to kill 5.0's on the street with it.

I'm wondering how placing the carb right over the fan is going to work. With the fan sucking in air, it's going to cause a bit of turbulence right where your carb is going to be sitting.

Does the 914 motor run? You should be able to get a few buck for it. The street bug guys love those motors because they rev a little better than the VW motors.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

It has the bus transaxle but only for gearing. Great for climbs. The carb shouldnt have a problem cuz its going to have a shroud for fresh air thats directed from above. The 914 motor runs but its shot to hell. The oil pressure gauge wasnt working and the car ran dry for a minute or two, and screwed up a lot of the bearings plus tons of other **** i dont have the time to deal with.