The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Computer Viruses

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 04:24 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Me love ad-aware 6.0.

I tell everyone that i know about it.

Case in point. I told my videogame playin buddy about it. His whole family uses the comp. He downloads and installs. The about 4 months pass by. He calls one day to tell me that he's having problems with his comp. It's slow he says. Slower than usual. I'm like, slower than usual? His comp is faster/newer than mine with more goodies. What could be wrong? I'm like did you do all the usual stuff? He says of course, but since he's going on vacation and I'm house/dog sittin could i take a look at it. I'm like sure np. I run a virus scan, nothing. I do a defrag, no help in loading times there. I update ad-aware 6.0 and run it. Normally as you all would know, it might take ad-aware like 7-9 minutes tops to scan your system. His took like two hours. Why? Well it had to find, identify, and quarantine 1400 files! 1400!! I couldn't believe it. I've never seen so many. When I first turned on his comp, it would literally take 5 mins to load up the welcome screen. Then choosing a name to desktop would take like another 7-10 mins. Now it was like instant, like it should be.
Did I mention I liked this program?
Old 09-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Southern Speedster

Dear owners of Lavasoft,

Recently on zdriver.com, Rizzspeed announced another success with your product, AdAware. Please consider beefing up your servers used to deliver this product. Mr. Rizzspeed has a horde of groupies that will probably now descend our your site requesting their own copies in order to keep up with his coolness....

Now would be a good time to print some bumperstickers in the vein of "ZDrivers for AdAware"!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Jack Of All Trades

If you haven't yet....... download spybot too, it'll find stuff that adaware doesn't.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:30 PM

This may be a really stupid question, but as my sig says, 'there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people.' I can deal with that. Anyways, is the version os adaware that you download the most up to date version, or do you need to run an update immediately after installing it? Same question regarding Spybot?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Jack Of All Trades

IMO, You should update immediately. But then, I get most of my downloads off of download.com so when I download the adaware or spybot, I'm getting a 3, or so, month old version of the main program.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Southern Speedster

Definately update them when you download them. Both are push button updates.

Also, I am of a mixed opinion if you need both. Seems that SpyBot is more comprehensive (and VERY free), but the user interface leave something to be desired for the novice. Lavasoft's Adaware is a much smoother interface, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles in the free version.

I'm test driving Spybot now, and will probably go that route. Like both products. Any opinions anyone?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:28 PM

I was finally able to solve my problem. I was receiving tech advice via e-mail form Microsoft. I have to do in and load a few different files; one of the was a windows update .dll file. I was able to go in and download the updates, but as it out, I had a trojan tat was deleting my automatic update service. I went in and removed the trojan and all was well. What was odd is that the trojan was undetected by the symantec online virus search. This trojan was also the cause of my Norton problems. So, all is well once again. I'm sure glad I didn't have to reformat the hard drive. That was a headache I didn't need.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Southern Speedster

Good job! What file was the trojan horse?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:40 PM

I can't remember. I had to go in and delete it from the registry editor. I figured I'd screw up the computer for good by doing that. Oh well, it worked and I'm happy.