The Lounge (Off Topic) Talk about daily events, or other items not really related to the ZCars in any way.

Black car DO's and DON'T's

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Doesn't post much...

Black car DO's and DON'T's

DO:

Take your nice black car to the do it yourself car wash with the high pressure hoses.

Spend hours on a Saturday cleaning, polishing, waxing said black car to make it absolutely glow from top to bottom, inside and out.

Park it in your garage so that it is safe from the elements and will stay looking freshly detailed for as long as possible.

DON'T:

Decide the day after performing all of the above actions, to finally start working on that guitar body restoration and re-finish job you've been putting off for 15 years in the same garage your shiny black car is in... Uncovered and with the windows down.

Here's why:

You see, I have this Fender Telecaster that I bought brand new in 1985. It's the one guitar i will never sell. In fact, I would sell the Z long before I even thought of selling that guitar.

Well, After a few years of use, the original finish was pretty beat up so I decided to strip it and re-finish it. I had no clue how to refinish a guitar at the time, so the end result was that I took a nice guitar and made it look like caca.

So I started stripping it again (about 12 years ago) but quit and put it away shortly after starting.

So, being on a "Guitar Project" kick lately, I decided it was time to finally fix it once and for all.

I took the body to the garage and began sanding the old finish off. I was sitting about... 3 feet from the car. That was bad decision numero uno.

It was pretty hot in the garage and my wife came out and asked if I wanted a fan. I said "sure, thanks".

So she brought out the fan and set it up behind me. Like the diagram below:

Blowing fan-------> Me Sanding guitar body--------> Shiny black car with windows down.

You see where this is going.

So , after a few hours of painstaking sanding and shaping, I happened to look up at the Z...

I hope this helps you guys out.

Rod.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Aww, poor Rod.

Good luck getting the guitar and car to look decent again.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Über User

i know how you feel. after i finished my paint job, and then pulled the motor to finish up working and replacing all the other under body/steering/supsinsion pieces, well, in leaning on a fender while prepping the engine to get hoisted out, my pants but took a nickle size chunk of paint off........ im still angry at the world for that.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Big Poppa

hmmmm, lesson learned. thats kinda like me. make cars door and fender straight, and primer, pull car out of garage, leave it out of gear with door open, car rolls into garage with door open, crash, now re-doing body work on door. that was 5 years ago on my car------ lesson learned.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
rod----sorry to hear the gods of clean carz are not on your side this week.....mine is just nder a cover, dirty as hell until i can feel like going to get her a cleaning......will wait until the storms are gone.........and i will not fix a guitar or a forward hatch near her.......thankyou rod-----