FS: 300ZX (84-89) Z31 Cars & Parts

Digital Speedo & Power Supply

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 PM

Digital Speedo & Power Supply

I have several Z31 digital dash speedo clusters, and several power supplies. A few more power supplies than clusters. I started collecting these while doing tons of Z31 work, and have since decided to sell them instead. All are from local salvage yards.

I can't in good conscience sell them because I can't even test to see if they work. So here's the deal. If someone on this board has a Z31 equipped with digital dash that is willing to test all these parts out for me, they can have whichever cluster and power supply they want FOR FREE and send the rest back to me. I'll pay shipping on all of it to you. You pay shipping on all of it (less what you get to keep) back to me. A separate video of each working cluster going through the self-test will be required, with audio of you saying which cluster it is by reading the odometer. Power supplies will need to be noted whether each works or not. A turnaround of 2-4 weeks is desired. Meaning I'll give you two weeks. If it takes you more than 4 weeks to get around to it, just send them back since it's not high enough priority.

You need to be in good standing on this board, with at least a couple previously intelligent posts demonstrating enough skill to tear apart your interior to test speedo clusters. It will be publicly known within this thread who takes the deal so you can get publicly flamed and shamed if you fail to test & return the parts. And you need to already have a Z31 equipped with digital dash.

Reply here with your zip code. Or PM if you have further questions.

Last edited by bkubisht; 01-20-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:15 PM

Hey I seen your post on here and would LOVE to help. Let me explain my situation to you. I got a 85 300Zx Turbo last fall and have worked and worked and worked on it after dragging it home out of a field. I got my transmission back in it early last week and have been driving it since. The car runs like brand new now. My problem however is that when I first got the car I like everyone else had trouble with the dash and I put it off until I got the car back in drivable condition again. The problem was that although my Tach worked like a champ everything else was dead. No fuel gauge, no oil pressure, nothing (although on occasion my speedometer would come to life for about 10 seconds at random) so I put the power supply in my desk and it stayed there for about 8 months. After getting it back on the road I decided it was time to fix the dash so I soldered the power supply and put it back together and now all of the gauges light up but go off almost instantly. I have read the FSM i have read every post on the internet, watched every video on Youtube and still dont have a good answer other than to start throwing parts at it and i really dont want to start spending hundreds of dollars guessing what it could be. So, although this is my first post on this forum (I created my account tonight to get some help with this problem) I would love to help and if it did turn out to be my power supply I wouldnt care to send it back with the rest of your parts and you could have it. Maybe you could refurb it and sell it or something. If your interested let me know if we could work something out it would be a GOD SEND lol. My zip code is 40334.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:13 AM

PM'ing you now.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:25 PM

Lots of good stuff finally went out the door to you! Three clusters, five power supplies, a dash harness... a connector pigtail for power supplies, and another pigtail for clusters. And a spreadsheet so you can put notes about what works and what doesn't.

Tracking number is 781409092952.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bkubisht
Lots of good stuff finally went out the door to you! Three clusters, five power supplies, a dash harness... a connector pigtail for power supplies, and another pigtail for clusters. And a spreadsheet so you can put notes about what works and what doesn't.

Tracking number is 781409092952.
what carrier did you send it with? I can't find that tracking number anywhere.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 AM

It went fedex ground. Sorry it took me so long to get it out the door.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Double-checked tracking number, I had a typo. Sorry. It's 781409092951 .
Old 10-01-2015, 08:17 AM

recieved

Hey I wanted to let you know I got the package yesterday. I havent gotten a chance to tear the dash out of my car yet. I am waiting until I have a couple of days off work so it should be monday. I tried the power supplys and they dont work with my dash so i think its the problem not the power supply. Thanks again and I will try to have everything shipped back to you with your spreadsheet and the videos posted by this time next week.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 AM

I hope it's obvious that I'm not expecting you to test EVERY square in the spreadsheet. Find a fully working combo of power supply and cluster, then test everything else from there to figure out which ones are broken (if any).
Exception to the above might be the '88 cluster & power supply. They just seemed different because of the power supply's lack of one connector. They might only work with each other. You'll know better than me once you try it though.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 PM

p/s & harness

do you have a 87-89 Z31 instrument harness and a digital dash power supply?
Old 04-13-2021, 06:59 AM

G'day bkubisht,
I only joined this club tonight so plz forge any protocol errors i make as i'm also not very PC literate.
I'm sensing yr in the USA?
Wich would make all of the electronic dash clusters etc you have suited for left hand drive only Z31's?
I'm looking for a right hand drive kit, ie- everything I'd need to change my 200ZR from actual gages to
an electronic assembly.
Off topic...I'm searching for Suspension Tower Strut Braces , front and back, aswell.