East Coast Z32 Association Rename - ZDriver.com

Go Back  ZDriver.com > Groups and Clubs Forums > East Coast Z Association
East Coast Z32 Association Rename >

East Coast Z32 Association Rename

East Coast Z32 Association Rename

Old 03-09-2005, 06:19 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
East Coast Z32 Association Rename

Pat - As we were discussing on TT.Net last night, before our thread was deleted --

The original name of the ECZA was the East Coast Z32 Association. The main page of the ECZA website proudly proclaims this
"ecza" is a trademark of the East Coast Z32 Association
& Marsavius Design Bureau
© Copyright 1998-2004
All rights reserved."


It is still clearly stated in the bylaws, as illustrated here:

Article X Addresses Amendments to the bylaws:

Article X
Amendments

Amendments may be proposed by either a majority of the Board or any 20% of the current Members. All amendments must be submitted to the Board in writing. The exact amendment will be presented to the Members via US Postal Service or electronic mail to inform all Members of the proposed changes. Voting on the amendment shall follow the same procedure as the voting to elect Officers, excluding the specific time references therein.


Section 3 of article VII addresses how elections are to be held (thus the voting process)

Section 3. Elections: Balloting via US Postal Service or electronic mail will commence within seven (7) days of the nomination process and must terminate on the tenth (10) day following the mailing/sending of ballots. New Officers shall be installed on the first day of the Corporations fiscal year (January 1).

Interestingly, Article XIII defines the role of the president, that would be you:

Article VIII
Officer Responsibilities

Section 1. President: The President is the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation with the following responsibilities. The President shall ensure the Corporation operates within the parameters established by the Corporationís Constitution and By-laws. Conduct any and all meetings, represent the Corporation at various functions as required, and appoint committees as required.

Membership is defined as:

Regular Members shall consist of dues-paying individuals and organizations that are interested in the furtherance of the purposes of the Corporation, as well as any person designated by the directors as a Member, and shall hereafter be referred to in these by-laws as "Member" or "Members". Members are required to own a 1990 to 1996 Nissan 300ZX, reside within the geographical boundaries of the Corporation which is defined as those States in the United States bordering the Atlantic Ocean, and meets the participation criteria stated in Article V, Section I, Paragraph A.
In the event that a membership is taken in the name of a husband and wife, a family or any other grouping of persons, of which each person has not submitted individual membership applications and paid the appropriate dues, such grouping shall be considered a Member and shall be entitled to one (1) vote.


So, my question still stands, Did a vote ever take place to change the name of the club, or to allow Non Z32 members? As I see it, non Z32 owners are not voting menbers and the vote needs to go out to only Z32 owning members to change the name of the club and it's original charter.

Last edited by Junxster (NoVA); 03-09-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
cybercath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield, PA
Posts: 69
No, a vote was not taken to change the name of the organization. The Officers felt that in order to keep the club active and involved, it was necessary to include the newly introduced 350Z. Iím sorry that you feel the need to stir the proverbial pot and make a big thing out of this. To date, you are the only member who has voiced any opposition to the name change.

The ECZA has grown by leaps and bounds since Pat McCall has taken over as President. Our shows and meets are the best attended in this area. Rather than giving him grief over this, I think he deserves a great deal of credit for the amount of time and effort that he has put into making this club into what itís become. When Pat took over the club, membership was at approximately 550 members. To date, we have over 800 members. Pat and I, and the other two Officers, have worked hard over the past year to make our meets and shows enjoyable for everyone. Rather than putting your effort into complaining about a name change, why donít you volunteer your time to help us run a meet or a show???

Again, Iím sorry that you disagree with the name change of the club. We hope you will remain a member, but understand if you wish to submit your resignation. Thank you.
cybercath is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
cybercath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield, PA
Posts: 69
By the way, if you want to start digging into the Bylaws...
Article V - Section 1 clearly states that "all members must attend at least one ďOfficialĒ event per year in order to retain Member status. Such events may include track days, car shows, and cruise days."

Who are you? Have I seen you at any events in the past year??? I don't recall meeting you, but if I have please forgive me for not remembering you. Please introduce yourself to me at the next event, which by the way is coming up on April 9th.
cybercath is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 AM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Post

Originally Posted by cybercath
No, a vote was not taken to change the name of the organization. The Officers felt that in order to keep the club active and involved, it was necessary to include the newly introduced 350Z. Iím sorry that you feel the need to stir the proverbial pot and make a big thing out of this. To date, you are the only member who has voiced any opposition to the name change.
That seems to be in direct contradiction with the charter and the posts you hold. Will all future decisions be made in this manner by the board? If so, why not just acknowledge that it is no longer a voting association?

I may be the only person who has taken the time to familiarize themselves with the bylaws of the club, and make a point of adressing this, but I am not the only one who is unhappy about the change. I'll let them voice their opinions as they feel the need. Also, I think you've already covered the fact that the members were not really given an opportunity to voice their opinions before the change went in.

Don't get me wrong. I went to the ECZA meet last year, had a good time and enjoyed the company. But I thought the bylaws and charter were supposed to be upheld. When I saw what was specifically laid out in the bylaws, and being a Z32 owner, I thought it might be worth bringing to the attention of the current membership and officers.

Originally Posted by cybercath
The ECZA has grown by leaps and bounds since Pat McCall has taken over as President. Our shows and meets are the best attended in this area. Rather than giving him grief over this, I think he deserves a great deal of credit for the amount of time and effort that he has put into making this club into what itís become. When Pat took over the club, membership was at approximately 550 members. To date, we have over 800 members.
The purpose was not to grow in membership, but to provide a forum for those who enjoy the Z32. While amassing members is a great accomplishment, it has nothing to do with the reasons set out in the charter.

Originally Posted by cybercath
Pat and I, and the other two Officers, have worked hard over the past year to make our meets and shows enjoyable for everyone. Rather than putting your effort into complaining about a name change, why donít you volunteer your time to help us run a meet or a show???
As far as why I don't help you organize a show, I spend my time working on my Z and driving it, shows are not really my thing. I enjoy caravaning and meeting people, which is what attending such shows is all about. I even went so far as to attend ZCCA this year in long beach last year and the TT.Net Banquet -- all without my car. I'm a member of my local Z-Car club, regular poster on tt.net, participate quite a bit in the 'community'. While I may not have the inspiration it takes to lead, organize and run an organization or even an event of the magnitude the ECZA handles, I still do my part.

Originally Posted by cybercath
Again, Iím sorry that you disagree with the name change of the club. We hope you will remain a member, but understand if you wish to submit your resignation. Thank you.
No thanks, That'd be like running to Canada just because I don't like who the president is. I can assure you I won't be doing that either.

* I have no problem with Pat -- That should not be interpreted as i do not like who the president of the club is.

Last edited by Junxster (NoVA); 03-09-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:04 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Pats300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 164
Junxster...I agree that we probably should have gone through the process to do a formal name change. However, I took over this organization back in Sept of 2002 when the club was completely dead and dying. The club was started by Alex Lee and through his awesome leadership it became know as one of the premier Z32 clubs. Unfortunately, Alex Lee became tied up with other things and no applications were being processed and individuals were going to other Z clubs because they felt the ECZA was a waste.
With the introduction of the new 350Z other Z owners were complaining that the organization was being unfair. Is a Z not a Z??? Would you not want to have a club that appeals to all Zís and not just a specific model??? I agree that we should have gone through a formal name change process. Its ironic that you bring this up now when the name change has been in effect for almost 1.5 years.

For example, I donít seem to recall Corvette clubs that are only for the ďStingray ModelĒ. It only makes sense to open it to everyone.

It amazes me that members bring up these issues but no other members seem to want to participate in the club as officers and elect only to attend meets.

How many ECZA members have organized an event since 2002 when I took over the club?? How many?? Let me answer for you "O". Every single event has been organized by the myself and some of the other officers. These include spring meets, organizing raffles to obtain club funds, maintaining the web page, car shows, and orders for shirts for our club logo. When I took over this organization it had over 565 members. In two years, I have processed almost 250 new member applications. The ECZA is now known as one of the largest Z clubs on the East Coast. People are now coming to us to assist them in organizing events because our membership base is so large.

Our meets have grown by leaps and bounds since the club was opened to all Z vintages. I seem to recall meets of 20 Zís when I first joined the ECZA. Now our meets average between 80 and 130 Zís. Our meets have become so large that we constantly have to look to new venues to host them.

If someone else would like to take over this organization by all means step up to the plate. I have done it since 2002 and am ready for a change. I donít think members realize the efforts that are undertaken to keep this club afloat.

Ironically, you are the first person to bring up this issue. If you are unhappy with the name change or are unhappy with the club itself, we can always remove your name from the membership list. I don't recall you ever having to pay dues to participate.

Thanks...
Pats300zx is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:06 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by cybercath
By the way, if you want to start digging into the Bylaws...
Article V - Section 1 clearly states that "all members must attend at least one ďOfficialĒ event per year in order to retain Member status. Such events may include track days, car shows, and cruise days."

Who are you? Have I seen you at any events in the past year??? I don't recall meeting you, but if I have please forgive me for not remembering you. Please introduce yourself to me at the next event, which by the way is coming up on April 9th.

Cathy - I caravaned up with YugoBernie to the April event last year. Here I am parking my car in the lot.


and here i am after one two many of Pa's finest brew:

Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 AM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Pats300zx
Junxster...I agree that we probably should have gone through the process to do a formal name change. However, I took over this organization back in Sept of 2002 when the club was completely dead and dying. The club was started by Alex Lee and through his awesome leadership it became know as one of the premier Z32 clubs. Unfortunately, Alex Lee became tied up with other things and no applications were being processed and individuals were going to other Z clubs because they felt the ECZA was a waste.
I'm glad we agree on that point.
Originally Posted by Pats300zx
With the introduction of the new 350Z other Z owners were complaining that the organization was being unfair. Is a Z not a Z??? Would you not want to have a club that appeals to all Zís and not just a specific model??? I agree that we should have gone through a formal name change process. Its ironic that you bring this up now when the name change has been in effect for almost 1.5 years.

For example, I donít seem to recall Corvette clubs that are only for the ďStingray ModelĒ. It only makes sense to open it to everyone.
Corvette Club List
The internet stingray club is the fourth or fifth one down. They have a solid axle club, a Z06 Club, well as you can see the list goes on and on.

Through the generations, the cars have grown apart. A 1970 S30 has very little in common with a 94 TT, but probably does have more in common from a design standpoint with a Z33. The Z32 Stands out head and shoulders above the other cars, imo. It continues to be the bar against which all other Nissan sports cars are measured.

That's what i'm saying. I've owned S30's, z31's and Z32's. heck, I even associate with some of those people on a daily basis. But it seems to me that the ECZA was formed specifically for the Z32 community. For those Z's made from 1990 to 1996. (well, imported to the US as those model years) The reason for that is pretty obvious. The Z32 community has been ostracized many times by other clubs, and I think the ECZA was to help hold those people together.

Originally Posted by Pats300zx
It amazes me that members bring up these issues but no other members seem to want to participate in the club as officers and elect only to attend meets.

How many ECZA members have organized an event since 2002 when I took over the club?? How many?? Let me answer for you "O". Every single event has been organized by the myself and some of the other officers. These include spring meets, organizing raffles to obtain club funds, maintaining the web page, car shows, and orders for shirts for our club logo. When I took over this organization it had over 565 members. In two years, I have processed almost 250 new member applications. The ECZA is now known as one of the largest Z clubs on the East Coast. People are now coming to us to assist them in organizing events because our membership base is so large.
I do not disagree with you that the position you hold is a thankless task. There is much to be done, and few know the details of what goes into it. You are to be commended for that job.

Originally Posted by Pats300zx
Our meets have grown by leaps and bounds since the club was opened to all Z vintages. I seem to recall meets of 20 Zís when I first joined the ECZA. Now our meets average between 80 and 130 Zís. Our meets have become so large that we constantly have to look to new venues to host them.

If someone else would like to take over this organization by all means step up to the plate. I have done it since 2002 and am ready for a change. I donít think members realize the efforts that are undertaken to keep this club afloat.

Ironically, you are the first person to bring up this issue. If you are unhappy with the name change or are unhappy with the club itself, we can always remove your name from the membership list. I don't recall you ever having to pay dues to participate.

Thanks...
again, i'm not looking to quit the club. It seems to me that the original founders set out some pretty straight forward goals for the club, but also a system by which those goals could be amended or changed. It seems like that process was short circuited, and I was just asking that it be addressed.

Last edited by Junxster (NoVA); 03-09-2005 at 10:26 AM.
Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:28 AM
  #8  
Registered User
 
cybercath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield, PA
Posts: 69
Junxster, I'm happy to hear that you plan on continuing with your membership. As for the Bylaws, they will be addressed at a future time. With an upcoming meet and show to put on, Pat and I do not have time to review and make changes at this point.

For now, I'm asking you to kindly let this die and let Pat and I, and the other Officers, run the club and continue to put on shows/meets/cruise nights.

...and I truly hope we don't lose our President over this.
cybercath is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 10:55 AM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by cybercath
Junxster, I'm happy to hear that you plan on continuing with your membership. As for the Bylaws, they will be addressed at a future time. With an upcoming meet and show to put on, Pat and I do not have time to review and make changes at this point.

For now, I'm asking you to kindly let this die and let Pat and I, and the other Officers, run the club and continue to put on shows/meets/cruise nights.

...and I truly hope we don't lose our President over this.

Then I assume that these changes to the bylaws will not be put to a vote?
Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 11:04 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Pats300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 164
It seems to me that the original founders set out some pretty straight forward goals for the club, but also a system by which those goals could be amended or changed. It seems like that process was short circuited, and I was just asking that it be addressed.
Unfortuneately Junxster..the original members are long gone. As you know the ECZA was not even an existing club when I took it over. Nothing was being done to keep the club organized or even on its feet. I took it upon myself, based on complaints from other Z members, to attempt to bring the club back up to where it was.

I do not disagree with you that the position you hold is a thankless task. There is much to be done, and few know the details of what goes into it. You are to be commended for that job.
Thank you for that. If you have the desire to take this organization over then by all means let me know. I have attempted to get other individuals involved as club officers but noone seems to have an interest. I assume that if I walk away the club will probably go back to where it was. "DEAD"

As far as why I don't help you organize a show, I spend my time working on my Z and driving it, shows are not really my thing. I enjoy caravaning and meeting people, which is what attending such shows is all about. I even went so far as to attend ZCCA this year in long beach last year and the TT.Net Banquet -- all without my car. I'm a member of my local Z-Car club, regular poster on tt.net, participate quite a bit in the 'community'. While I may not have the inspiration it takes to lead, organize and run an organization or even an event of the magnitude the ECZA handles, I still do my part.
The ECZA is not about "shows" only. The ECZA has hosted other meetings etc. Its not all about car shows. Your description above pretty much sums up most club members. I don't see why you have singled your self out. I am a regular poster and moderator on tt.net, have attended Zcon, and have helped organize the upcoming tt.net banquent at ZCon05. So I guess I do my part as well.

Thanks for posting pictures of yourself. I will be sure to introduce myself at one of the next meets that you attend.

If you feel the need to start a Z32 type organization then by all means go ahead. I will applaude it and may even join myself.

As it stands now the ECZA will continue to be called what it is and its membership structure is not going to change. We will be sure to re-do the by-laws. They have not been changed since I took over the club. With all of the other things that are going on its certainly something that needs to addressed.
Pats300zx is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 AM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Pat - I have no aspirations of taking over your job, it's more than i have time or resources to handle. Thanks for answering my questions on this. When I see you in april, I'd love to buy you a beer. Maybe if not a Shiner Bock, at least a Yuengling.
Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
cybercath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springfield, PA
Posts: 69
What about me? No beer? LMAO

...sorry, couldn't resist
cybercath is offline  
Old 03-09-2005, 12:46 PM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by cybercath
What about me? No beer? LMAO

...sorry, couldn't resist

count on it
Junxster (NoVA) is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Pats300zx
Northeast Region
0
03-17-2009 06:25 AM
3XAZOWNER
280ZX (S130) Forums
0
01-02-2007 05:15 PM
Pats300zx
Events
3
04-04-2006 10:53 AM
Pats300zx
East Coast Z Association
0
02-28-2005 04:45 PM
thebodydundee
300ZX (Z31) Forums
4
03-29-2002 06:31 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: East Coast Z32 Association Rename


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.