350Z (Z33) Forums Dedicated to 2003 + ZCars otherwize known as the Z33's

Auto or Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:18 PM

IMHO....A sports car should have a manual transmission. There is nothing sporty about an automatic. After-market add-ons do not determine whether or not somehting is a sportscar. Driving an automatic is a no-brainer. If you're on a winding mountain road, a manual tranny is far more exhilarating than an auto. IMO.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 PM

I must agree with 91zxtt autos suck. They take no thought or skill to drive. I won't even own an auto but thats me. I think that sports cars should have manuals because they are made to be fun, fast, and a level above everything else. Autos just don't cut it. Plus (this is me) I find autos boring. If I had an auto I would probably fall asleep behind the wheel there is nothing to do. And Tiptronics don't make autos any better wow you can choose what gear to be in but it's not faster and it doesn't take any more skill. Plus why would you get a Z with an auto? Zs are made to perform and autos take away from that meaning.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:32 AM

Even if i lived in D.C. I would still have a stick. I have driven sticks in alot of traffic jams in Nashville and I don't think its that bad. Also on the drop top thing. A true sports car would not come with a drop top (drop tops=roadster) plus that kills body rigidity (handling isn't as good). And not all of the original sports cars had drop tops some were completely open cockpits others were hard tops and some were convertibles
Old 02-20-2004, 07:34 AM
confuzed member

I think a sports car is a car that's meant for sport. Wheter it's auto, stick, a convertible, a hard top....all of this doesn't change whether a car performs or not on the track and off. Yes, some of those things may effect HOW they perform, so maybe a stick is more desirable as is a hard top. However, this doesn't make it a sports car of not. I think most would have a hard time saying a convertible ferarri w/ an auto is not a sports car.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:21 AM

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area/San Jose Area for 25 years. Don't whine about burning a clutch in traffic. I'm sure we were on that top 10 list. If not, then we were close. For 3 years, I spent 2 hours on the road Monday - Friday to go 40 miles. I've got over 100k on my clutch now without any problems. It is my daily driver, and has been for 4 years. I'm not exactly easy on my clutch, but I know how to make one last. Fact is, I've never worn out a clutch. If you know how to operate a manual tranny properly, then you shouldn't have a problem with it. If you slip the clutch like your grandma would, then you'll have problems. As James said, automatics are boring. They should be used in trucks. That is the only thing I would own with an auto tranny. Yes, you can still have a sports car with an auto tranny, but it's just not quite the same. It has no soul. A manual tranny will outlast and outperform an automatic 24/7/365. With a manual you don't need to wait for a 2 gear kick-down to pass someone with authority at freeway speed, even if you have 500 HP. FYI, the factory Nissan auto tranny will not handle 500 HP. The manual tranny will quite easily. Can anyone tell me why BMW doesn't offer an automatic in their M cars anymore?? Has a lot to do with what James and I have mentioned above. I don't recall hearing about Dale Earnhardt, Michael Schumacher, AJ Foyt or Colin McRae ever winning a championship with an automatic. Here's a picture of your auto tranny flex plate looks like in your Z when you have too much juice.....It's the one on the right in case you were wondering.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Dante
Also if sticks are the defacto for sports cars--why not make yours a rag-top, and have the total "true" sports car?
??? A ragtop has nothing to do with determining whether or not it's a a sports car. If it's a ragtop, then it would be a roadster. Nobody will ever question whether or not a Z is a sports car. Another thing; which was mentioned by James. Ragtops don't hanlde as well. They're heavier and have less structural rigidity.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 AM

My neither. I'd stick to sunroofs or T-tops.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:58 AM

I thought drop tops were marketed as roadsters? Isn't that why their is a 350Z coupe and then the roadster version. And then the S2000 and Z4s are marketed as roadsters. Yes, I know that a roadster falls under the Sport Car arena but it is a segment in the sports car area not an all out sports car. And another thing is you say you burn out clutches in heavy traffic well Autos fail too and its not as cheap to fix (in fact its better to buy a whole new tranny) an auto nor is it nearly as easy. And of course with the mentioning of auto repair and maintance costs they are more prone to problems.
I mean come on driving an auto takes no skill and as 91zxtt said noone who really knows how to drive i.e. F1 drivers, nascar, WRC, and all those fun leagues use autos all of them have manual transmissions. Autos suck their is no other word to describe them. Dante you say Nashville isn't bad well Atlanta is.

yeah 91zxtt sunroofs or t-tops you have to have the rigidity. And rolls suck and supossedly its not to hard to get a 350Z to roll (man that would suck in a roadster).
Old 02-20-2004, 12:07 PM
confuzed member

Personally, I own a 5 spd Z and wouldn't want an auto. But this is from personal experience....at the races, one guy with an auto TT and one with a SOUPED up NA (nitrous and every bolt on imginable). THe guy with the NA had his clutch slipping like mad and had to retreat early, he had an aftermarket clutch by the way (JWT). The guy eith the auto won a trophy for fastest E.T. The point is, yes, I like sticks better, but expense is about even and all depends on situations. In the racing situation, auto's are expensive to replace or rebuild and they need it at least once. But manual tranny owners go throgh clutches and synchros. The price about evens out. Most TT Zs will go through a clutch every 70K mi (there are exceptions thoguh....both ways). Also, a roadster is classified as a sports car. The point is, I believe that a stick is the way to go, others think an auto is. It does take skill to turn an auto into an advantage over a bad driver as well (i.e., tourque building, point shifting, etc.).
Old 02-20-2004, 12:48 PM

I drive for enjoyment too I think we all drive Zs for enjoyment. And I don't think Autos are fun their BORING! but yeah we all have our preferences some I will never understand.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:16 PM

Oh and on the D.C. bit. When my Z was originally ordered by my grandfather he lived in D.C. the car drove in D.C. traffic until 1992 when my dad bought it from my grandfather (7 speeding tickets or something like that and he didn't even want to spend the money on insurance anymore). So I don't see the issue with the auto in traffic problems. I would rather have my manual anytime no matter what the driving conditions were. My grandfather didn't mind the D.C. traffic that much (and he drove it alot in that traffic) and I would still buy a stick if I did live in a metropolitan area. And I don't have problems with a manual in bad traffic i.e. Atlanta and Nashville can be really bad sometimes. I would still rather have the stick (it could almost be a workout lol).

Last edited by JAMESZ; 02-20-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:07 PM

HAHAHA! Tiptronics are no better than straight up autos wow you can select which gear your in now thats a no brainer it still takes the tranny as long to shift as if you aren't in your "maunal" mode the only thing is you can tell it when to shift. And paddle shifts and SMGs well maybe you need to learn how they operate (there is still a clutch) you can just hit a pad and the computer engages the clutch and you have to use the paddles because usually there isn't a no brainer let some computer do the work automatic. Paddle Shifts are the best but where do you get that autos are the best. Auotmatics weigh more are not as efficient and they are more fragile. Manuals are much better.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:14 PM
confuzed member

IS this about which one is harder to drive or which one performs better?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:05 PM

I think it is turning to both. Who knows?

Quick Reply: Auto or Stick?