ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX Z32 Tech Tips (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/)
-   -   How to make the N/A Faster?? swap mass merge thread (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/how-make-n-faster-swap-mass-merge-thread-658/)

Riz Z Speed 02-27-2006 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
step #1 should be to locate the search function of this forum and use it to its fullest extent. this topic has been covered ad nauseum. in fact, there is a mass merged sticky at the top of the z32 section that covers this topic in great detail. please read that thouroghly before asking any more TT swap questions.

well, he can't miss the thread now. :p

threads merged.

VandiL 03-08-2006 12:32 PM

92 2+2 Engine swap

Whats up all. Thanks again for the continued support. I love my Z.

Looking at purchasing a Twin Turbo motor complete with Turbos. The motor has 25,000 miles on it and is warrantied.

My question is:
What primary differences are there between the Turbo model and the non turbo model? Will the engine swap without an issue? Computer issues? Dashboard issues? Differential issues?

Continued thanks!

Riz Z Speed 03-08-2006 01:11 PM

well it seems that you missed that you missed this thread.I think that maybe you'll look thru it this time. :pthread merged.

Aphrodite 03-08-2006 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by VandiL
Whats up all. Thanks again for the continued support. I love my Z.

Looking at purchasing a Twin Turbo motor complete with Turbos. The motor has 25,000 miles on it and is warrantied.

My question is:
What primary differences are there between the Turbo model and the non turbo model? Will the engine swap without an issue? Computer issues? Dashboard issues? Differential issues?

Continued thanks!

http://www.z1motorsports.com/PDFs/NATTconversion.pdf
'Nuff said

nismo619 04-13-2006 10:06 AM

300zx na to 300zx twin turbo ?

hey zdriver people how hard do u think it owuld be to do this swap ?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-9...55505423QQrdZ1

i belive i found a good deal on the hole deal i think i have enought knowledge on how to do this right the frist time just is there nay body else that has done this to a 300zx 2+2 ? thanks , ken

Aphrodite 04-13-2006 12:12 PM

well, judging by the sellers history they arent lookin to just take your money and run with it.. found a few engines in their comments, and only 1 negative int he last year. and that is one clean engine int he pic, hope u dont get a filthy beat up one :paranoid:. as for the swap, It is something I plan on doing to my 2+2 in 2009 when I get back from japan (gonna be hording parts while im there :armata_PDT_03: ). There is some differences in the n/a / tt besides what they list as included, and of course your gonna wanna do the 60k maint atleast to the engine before you put it in. But as long as you take into account its gonna be more then $2000 when all is said and done I say go for it.

nismo619 04-13-2006 01:26 PM

To : MISS APHRODITE i have alot of respect for u i read some of our other comments about how your car was broken into ... i respect that u didnt stoop down to there level... as for me i will be coming into a large some of $$$ some time this year i estamate in the 100k range due to me being eletrocuted on the job i supose i could always pay www.z1motorsports.com to do it for like 8,000 dollars ... or i can go to www.speedlinegroup.com for under 4,000 ..... but i figured i have enough knowledge on these cars now from taking them apart and puting them back togethor that i should be able to do it by myself.. i feel proud of myself to have such selfestem =-)

Aphrodite 04-13-2006 04:04 PM

well if money is not an issue def go for it :), thats why im waiting until 2009, I am planning on saving up 40k towards my car by then plus i'll be back stateside

napoleonzheking 04-13-2006 06:43 PM

if I had the money i'd just pay to have someone do it instead of doing it myself (which i'm doing).... it's just a hassle...it gets done 034725034 x quicker if they do it.

280zxbrandon 04-13-2006 07:33 PM

If you absolutely must go TT, there's a complete kit for an na>TT conversion over at z1motorsports.com. Its expensive, but the TT def isn't cheap.

Edit: just noticed its already been suggested. Oops.

bardabe 04-20-2006 09:09 PM

uhmmm I thought this was discussed many times. but it;s not just the motor and tranyn that you need. you also need IC piping. so unless youre gonna get the border racing pipes tht cost like 1K or so. just get a front clip. it has everithing you need and alot of shit you don't that you can sell and get money from (experienced :023:) so oyu might wanna look for a front clip and work from there. radiators are diferent, Oil cooler Power steering pump, JDM harness is shorter than USDM one so you might need to extend wires, oil cooler lines, and so on. IMO get a front clip, then order 60K mile kit, Cometic Metal Head gasket, new EFI harness, and then w/e power upgrades you might wanna get. oh don't forget to block out the EGR get rid of the AIV and all other emission crap.

thehollowkrew 04-25-2006 12:36 PM

NA or TT?

ok. so i have saved up about a couple thousand and im interested in buying a nissan 300zx. i know for sure that im going to buy the 300zx, but im confused on if i should buy the original NA version for cheap and then save up and get a VG30dett engine upgrade, or if i should just save up a lot and get a twin turbo that is already in the car. any suggestions?

~regards~

NismoPick 04-25-2006 01:18 PM

I swear someone posts this question just about everyday... Oh, first... Welcome to ZDriver :D

You're going to have to answer your own question, since YOU will be driving it.

-Will you be racing it?
-Will it be a daily driver?
-Are you good at mechanical repairs / mods?
-Can you afford the insurance?
-Do you have enough self control to not wreck it / get a billion speeding tickets?

Now... Reality check.... WHO ON EARTH WOULD RATHER HAVE AN N/A 300ZX, WHEN THEY CAN GET A 300ZXTT ???

entropy31 04-25-2006 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Now... Reality check.... WHO ON EARTH WOULD RATHER HAVE AN N/A 300ZX, WHEN THEY CAN GET A 300ZXTT ??

slicktop drivers, thats who!

and also those of us that dont have a need for a 300HP daily driver. i love my NA. still plenty powerful, and i dont have to worry about those pesky turbos crapping out, nor do i have to dick with HICAS. i have a fully capable, fun to drive NA sports car, and thats what i wanted. now i wouldnt mind having a TT for a weekend toy, but i dont have anywhere to put one right now.

NismoPick 04-25-2006 02:06 PM

slicktop drivers, thats who!

and also those of us that dont have a need for a 300HP daily driver. i love my NA. still plenty powerful, and i dont have to worry about those pesky turbos crapping out, nor do i have to dick with HICAS. i have a fully capable, fun to drive NA sports car, and thats what i wanted. now i wouldnt mind having a TT for a weekend toy, but i dont have anywhere to put one right now.

So there ya go... opinion from a SLICKTOP N/A owner... less to go wrong.

entropy31 04-25-2006 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
So there ya go... opinion from an N/A owner... less to go wrong.

ahem...... SLICKTOP NA owner...... ;)

NismoPick 04-25-2006 02:09 PM

ahem...... SLICKTOP NA owner...... ;)

yeah... thas what I said :D

entropy31 04-25-2006 02:14 PM

haha, thats better :D.

thehollowkrew 04-26-2006 12:38 PM

to nismo.

-Will you be racing it? yes
-Will it be a daily driver? well, i have another crappy car to use when my car is in the shop.
-Are you good at mechanical repairs / mods? im gonna major in automotive engineering.... so yes
-Can you afford the insurance? haha my parents pay. plus i have that gpa discount
-Do you have enough self control to not wreck it / get a billion speeding tickets? eh... it may get out of hand sometimes...

Now... Reality check.... WHO ON EARTH WOULD RATHER HAVE AN N/A 300ZX, WHEN THEY CAN GET A 300ZXTT ??? well, that wasnt my question. i asked if i should get an NA and then get a conversion when the time is right, or should i just buy a whole TT? the bad thing about buying the TT is i have to wait a long time to save up.

NismoPick 04-26-2006 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by thehollowkrew
im gonna major in automotive engineering.... so yes

followed by:

i asked if i should get an NA and then get a conversion when the time is right, or should i just buy a whole TT? the bad thing about buying the TT is i have to wait a long time to save up.

So you should know by now, that it's a lot easier to start w/ a TT, than to convert to a TT from an N/A....

I swapped the L28ET into my n/a 280zx, because I started w/ an n/a. If I could have bought a turbo to begin with, I would have.

91Zman 04-26-2006 12:50 PM

im sorry but id take my NA over a TT anyday. So much less to worry about.

NismoPick 04-26-2006 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 91Zman
im sorry but id take my NA over a TT anyday. So much less to worry about.

True, and that seems to be a common opinion... but if he's looking to race, I think we all understand that the tt is more powerful than the n/a. And he says he's going to be an auto engineer.... he better get used to "complicated things."

thehollowkrew 04-26-2006 01:52 PM

thanks for the opinions guys.
i think im gonna go ahead and save up for the tt
that means living off top ramen and water for another couple of months :[
but i think itll benifit in the end.
thanks.

91Zman 04-26-2006 07:49 PM

thanks for the opinions guys.
i think im gonna go ahead and save up for the tt
that means living off top ramen and water for another couple of months :[
but i think itll benifit in the end.
thanks.

after you buy the car make a savings account and have at least 3k in it for repairs. You'll need it.

thehollowkrew 04-30-2006 02:38 PM

ummm....
i hate to say....
but...
how much did you guys pay for your tt?
i mean i want an estimate on how much i should pay so i dont get ripped off.
i want the mileage to be around 20,000 or lower.

thanks,

entropy31 04-30-2006 05:23 PM

ummm....
i hate to say....
but...

thanks,

wow, you do realize they stopped bringing these cars to the US 10 years ago, right? IF you can find one with that kind of mileage, you will likely be paying a pretty penny for it.

hoov100 04-30-2006 06:37 PM

i recently payed $8k for a 95 115k miles grandma owned N/A, i think i could have gotten a TT for that price, but a swap is in the planning stages.

jfairladyz 04-30-2006 08:30 PM

My buddy picked up a 1990 Twin Turbo with 30K on it for $15,000.00 three years ago. Doesn't sound too impressive til you realize that it was 13 years old when he bought it. The problem was that is it had such low miles due to it spending a great deal of time in need of repair and not becuase it was babied. The car was bone stock with the exception of a Veilside body kit.

silvrhand 04-30-2006 08:46 PM

I paid 27k for mine, a 1995 with 20k miles on it 4 years ago owned by a 55 year old lady. Not a scratch on it.

ummm....
i hate to say....
but...

thanks,

91black2+2 05-09-2006 11:18 AM

got my 91 2+2 black leather t-top, for $5000 last year with only 46xxx miles excellent shape guy was just gonna trade it in so i got it for trade in value.

mintkendishin 05-20-2006 02:31 AM

another engine swap question sry

well i dont even own or drive a z32 but i have been very interested in buying a 2+2. I hear alot of talk about this vg30dett swap, i know that this motor will fit into the 2+2 but whats the level of dificulty and whats a rough estimate of how much this would all cost. Is there any type of custom work thats needs to be done for this kind of swap.

entropy31 05-20-2006 03:27 AM

there are TONS of threads on this. there should be no difference between putting the dett in a 2+2 and a 2 seater. please do a search.

Riz Z Speed 05-20-2006 04:47 PM

i Mer-Ged
threadz.

902+2 06-10-2006 09:45 PM

on making the n/a faster i didnt see the safe amount of nitrous that can be ran on the motor ive seen 50 shot but can there be a 100 shot with out any large mods..like internals...? just wondering thanks guys

entropy31 06-10-2006 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by 902+2
on making the n/a faster i didnt see the safe amount of nitrous that can be ran on the motor ive seen 50 shot but can there be a 100 shot with out any large mods..like internals...? just wondering thanks guys

the only safe shot of nitrous is a 0 shot.

bardabe 06-10-2006 11:03 PM

the only safe shot of nitrous is a 0 shot.

lol isn;t that just having a purge kit? (I'm asuming purging a spray at the Intercooler or radiator would atleast help cool the motor down)

shanes300zx 06-23-2006 08:06 AM

If you are going to keep it an NA then change the headers out you gain 21HP, at least that what stillen says in their catalog.

Nismortare 07-21-2006 12:28 PM

Z32 with a VQ35DE?

Anyone looked into the feasibility of stuffing a VQ35DE into a Z32? Or would you have to add 3" to the front end of the frame or something equally ridiculous?

silvrhand 07-21-2006 01:15 PM

Why would you want to do something like that just to be different?

It would be better to swap out the VG30DETT into it if you have a NA since you are looking to swap into a larger HP engine.

Nismortare 07-21-2006 01:48 PM

Because the N/A VG30DE stock output is 222HP, whereas the N/A VQ35De stock output is 287+HP. Better base line, and no extra heat or extra parts to fail like a TT. My '02 Maxima pulls a helluva lot harder than the '91 Z32 N/A I just drove, and it weighs a solid 1000lbs more than the Z.

Prolly a near impossibility ... just a thought.

bardabe 07-21-2006 02:35 PM

I would think maby only custom motor mounts and tranny mounts. modify the harness. and let rip. I'm sure you woudl have to trim here and there ofcourse. but should not be a big deal. I mean I knwo someone that put it in an S14. and still has room for a Big ass radiator and FMIC if he wanted. I'll try and get pics.

you can contact him for detail his name is Gilbert.. owner of Amerikajin 951-906-3608

snwbrderphat540 07-21-2006 02:50 PM

if you wnat a nissan motor N/A with lots of hp stuff a nissan titan motor into the bitch, i say a 350Z wiht a nissan titan notor in it and if you can fit the VQ35 you must beable to stuff a titan motor in it if that 350z did. then you get lots o torque. plus if your swapping in its outta the car you cna change sh!t on it get more power and have abrand new reliable engine to last a while, a vg30dett that is.

CanyonCarver 07-21-2006 04:11 PM

I think it'd be a good idea. Someone will eventually do it and sell a kit to make it plug-n-play. Some of the benefits are all aluminum, ie: less weight. No t-belt to change every 60k. Newer stock vq's match a stock vg-tt in h.p. 6-speed tranny. equal or better tuner market.

I saw a g35-tt dyno 609 h.p. at ~18 psi. the G had more h.p. but the dyno couldn't handle it.

If people can stuff an rb26 in a z32, a vq will definitely fit.

Nismortare 07-21-2006 07:26 PM

I think the weight of a Titan engine would be prohibitive. Plus you'd get killed on the MPG since it's a V8. Would be a unique sound, though.

Now to come up with the project car & the $$$$ for a used VQ35DE. Oh wait, I have a mortgage. Nevermind. Feel free to Paypal donations. :rolleyes:

NismoPick 07-21-2006 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by silvrhand
Why would you want to do something like that just to be different?

It would be better to swap out the VG30DETT into it if you have a NA since you are looking to swap into a larger HP engine.

I second that....

Originally Posted by Nismortare
Because the N/A VG30DE stock output is 222HP, whereas the N/A VQ35De stock output is 287+HP.

So 287hp (VQ35) with not too many more easy/cheap options to create more power... or 300hp (VG30DETT) w/ many upgrades/options for more power... not to mention the ease of swapping in the VG30DETT as it pretty much fits right in place...

and no extra heat or extra parts to fail like a TT.

That was a very poor excuse.... sounds like something a 16 yr old ricer would say... "too many parts to break" :D

ZLover4Life 07-21-2006 08:37 PM

^^^I second that^^^

The VQ35DE is an inferior platform for making power, and that's all there is to it. If you're not happy with 222bhp, you'll quickly tire of 300bhp (like all TT owners), and want to upgrade. Without doing forced induction, you're very limited with power output. Once you do forced induction, you will blow the engine if you don't do internals (the record for a VQ35DE without internal modifications is only in the 450-500 rwhp zone, as compared to the VG30DETT which has done over 700rwhp on stock internals; and when I was at Ultimate Z, we had a GReddy TT 350Z blow the engine at only 13psi). Bang for the buck goes to the VG30DETT... it will make sh*tloads more power with a lot less cash.

bardabe 07-21-2006 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
^^^I second that^^^

The VQ35DE is an inferior platform for making power, and that's all there is to it. If you're not happy with 222bhp, you'll quickly tire of 300bhp (like all TT owners), and want to upgrade. Without doing forced induction, you're very limited with power output. Once you do forced induction, you will blow the engine if you don't do internals (the record for a VQ35DE without internal modifications is only in the 450-500 rwhp zone, as compared to the VG30DETT which has done over 700rwhp on stock internals; and when I was at Ultimate Z, we had a GReddy TT 350Z blow the engine at only 13psi). Bang for the buck goes to the VG30DETT... it will make sh*tloads more power with a lot less cash.

I second this could not have said it myself. bang for the buck Vg30DETT, alotta show not much go. VQ35

entropy31 07-22-2006 03:02 AM

VG30DETT all the way. for what the VQ swap will cost, you could put in a VG30DETT and build the living sh!t out of it. and the VG is FAR more reliable when boosted than the VQ. TT VQs blow on a regular basis, TT VGs dont. if you are looking to put some balls in a z32, go with the VG. well, there are the guys who put a TT VQ45 in a z32, but that thing couldnt even get traction....

Nismortare 07-22-2006 10:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been tweaking the VQ in my '02 Maxima for the past 5 years as my income allows, and have zero experience with the VG30. That's my primary reason for posing the question.

For the record, I'm 30 and despise rice runners.

silvrhand 07-22-2006 05:43 PM

Yah,

There is no secret in making power for the VG30DETT, you won't be treading new ground or anything but the formula is pretty simple.

- fix brakes (first before more power, the car needs better brakes)
- intake
- exhaust
- downpipes/testpipes
- clutch (you'll need it quickly)
- radiator (if you are in hot climate)
- ECU + Boost Controller (no jets.. trust me)
- Emanage/AFC of some sort
- Injectors
- Exhaust Manifolds
- JWT 530BB Turbo's
- Find a way to keep it on the ground.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been tweaking the VQ in my '02 Maxima for the past 5 years as my income allows, and have zero experience with the VG30. That's my primary reason for posing the question.

For the record, I'm 30 and despise rice runners.