300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Z31 Racing Design

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 AM

Shaking at 90mph

When i hit around 90 MPH my car starts to sway badly. i can bearly keep it in the road.. and its scary so i cut back and get blown away.. I mean because of this i lost a race against a damn Integra! Right now my cars bone stock suspension.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
You can't jut buy a Dual Overhead Camshaft for your VG30E. First off... the cars (Z31's) WERE NOT meant to be street racers. They are "sports cars" in every sense of the word. Made for the sport of driving. If you choose to "race" your car... I suggest a chromolly or stainless steel 6-8 point roll cage. First off... you might consider a newer set of springs, struts, sway bars, and deffinetely buy a set of strut tower braces. Otherwise, you're a complete imbecile... "a large turbo charger" is useless to you... judging by your knowledge of..well... NOTHING. I'd say you know don't know JACK. Try and pay a little attention to things before you post some completely oblivious statement about things you know COMPLETELY nothing about.

JD
Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by Velox ZX
You can't jut buy a Dual Overhead Camshaft for your VG30E. First off... the cars (Z31's) WERE NOT meant to be street racers. They are "<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=98&k=sports%20cars&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: sports cars'; self.ql_skeyphrase='sports%20cars'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='sports%20cars'; window.status='Search for: sports cars';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">sports cars</a>" in every sense of the word. Made for the sport of driving. If you choose to "race" your car... I suggest a chromolly or stainless steel 6-8 point roll cage. First off... you might consider a newer set of springs, struts, sway bars, and deffinetely buy a set of strut tower braces. Otherwise, you're a complete imbecile... "a large turbo charger" is useless to you... judging by your knowledge of..well... NOTHING. I'd say you know don't know JACK. Try and pay a little attention to things before you post some completely oblivious statement about things you know COMPLETELY nothing about.

JD
Velox ZX i think you should slow your roll. dont be a ***. most of the things he wonts is posibal. DOHC is not, but the car being a street racer is.like he said" im going to take it on the track which are road coarses" he did not say he was going to 1/4 mile it. and eaven if he did want to 1/4 mile it i have seen many bad *** z31's.

and he can get the hole supention set up at msa. (sway bars urathan bushings springs shocks) he might want to think of polishing uper lower intake.

Velox ZX dont be like some of the outher haters on this site its not worth it. this guy said he was new so help him out dont hender him.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:23 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

you say you have a VG30E, which leads me to believe that you have a non-turbo car. if this is the case, please understand that you will not be able to just bolt your "large turbo-charger" right up. there are a lot of things that need to be done in order to turbo an NA car. DOHC is not availlable for this engine either.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Velox ZX
You can't jut buy a Dual Overhead Camshaft for your VG30E. First off... the cars (Z31's) WERE NOT meant to be street racers. They are "sports cars" in every sense of the word. Made for the sport of driving. If you choose to "race" your car... I suggest a chromolly or stainless steel 6-8 point roll cage. First off... you might consider a newer set of springs, struts, sway bars, and deffinetely buy a set of strut tower braces. Otherwise, you're a complete imbecile... "a large turbo charger" is useless to you... judging by your knowledge of..well... NOTHING. I'd say you know don't know JACK. Try and pay a little attention to things before you post some completely oblivious statement about things you know COMPLETELY nothing about.

JD

I know how to race. And basic NA tune up stuff. And i also know that my turbo charger can add up to 150 hp. Geez dude take a chill pill, being an *** like that only gets you hated.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:38 PM

Here is a plan for my finished car. If anyone knows how i can pull out some more hp or get even better handeling please share your information.

Bored-port polished Head

S2 VG30/33E BILLET CAMS .473"/266 DEG

Front and rear strut bars. Steal pipe Roll cage and rigidy.

24" Wide - 10" Tall - 3" thick Intercooler

Turbo pistons .020 over

Bosal Performance Exhuast system Duel 2.5inch pipes

NISMO Fuel Injector - 740cc

16inch Rims and Falken tires

Ecu upgrade.

Im not sure on a suspension yet.. Im looking for the best setup possible for under 4k. I want this baby to dig a hole in the road.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Z Extreme Guy

like i said supetion msa in la cal. 1-800-633-6331 i think thats there #
Old 10-09-2005, 11:53 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
entropy31 vary well put sir.
why thank you buddha. i dont see any need to be an *** to someone who is just looking for info, at least not until they ask the same frigging question 20 times after it has already been answered.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:54 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by z31racer
Here is a plan for my finished car. If anyone knows how i can pull out some more hp or get even better handeling please share your information.

Bored-port polished Head

Turbo pistons .020 over

Ecu upgrade.

Im not sure on a suspension yet.. Im looking for the best setup possible for under 4k. I want this baby to dig a hole in the road.
wheres johnzboy when you need him?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 AM

Alright... let me say, on my side.. I was in a bit of a temper when I responded and had dealt with my own problems.. not to mention having kids ride up & down my street trying to call me out didn't help either. If you're looking for a suspension upgrade, here's what you'll need. (all items will be from MSA)

Master Urethane Kit, 84-89 ZX
Code: 23-4100ZX
Price: $139.95
This long-awaited kit includes bushings for the following parts: Front and rear sway bars (including end links), front and rear lower control arms, and the front strut rods. Tie rod boots are also included. Note: This kit covers multiple applications so there will be unused bushings in each kit.

Cusco Strut Bar, 84-89 ZX Front Cusco Strut Bar, 84-89 ZX Front
Code: 23-4204
Price: $169.95

Cusco Strut Bar, 84-89 ZX Rear Cusco Strut Bar, 84-89 ZX Rear
Code: 23-4207
Price: $169.95

your choice of struts exists between KYB, Tokiko Illumina, Tokiko HP, and Tokico D-spec struts.

MSA Sway Bar Kit, 84-89 ZX, Front 1", Rear 1"
Code: 23-4104
Price: $279.95

Spring choices-

Eibach Progressive Springs, 84-89 ZX
Code: 23-4044
Price: $306.95

Tokico Performance Springs, 84-89 ZX
Code: 23-3954
Price: $259.95

That should cover the basics, if you're looking for extra frame rigidity... you should look into anti flex bars, they're welded into the chassis. A roll cage is a DEFFINITE.

What kind of racing will you be doing?

If you're going turbo, and planning on road racing, you'd do better off with a T3/T4 hybrid, and digital boost controller.. probably should investigate into flywheels as well.

There are a thousand and one different places to get every single bolt-on part for your z... it's taken me in excess of 8 months to find just a handfull of them.. try going to other Z sites, and using the "Links" option.. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

JD
Old 10-10-2005, 05:07 AM

Thanks Guys.. Ill check out MSA..
Old 10-10-2005, 02:01 PM

This shows your naivety of the turbo charged Z31, unless you're only talking about one pipe into dual mufflers, which is pointless. The term "street racer" pretty much shows you're just another ricer, IMO.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:21 PM

I know how to race. And basic NA tune up stuff. And i also know that my turbo charger can add up to 150 hp.
This statement says you know nothing about what you are about to do.

A turbo doesn't add XXX hp. A turbo is good for XXX hp. Nitrous adds XXX hp.
Bored-port polished Head
you don't "bore" a head. You may be refering to port matching though?
I really hope you understand that using the term "BILLET" here is stupid. I also hope you understand what lift and duration do and how they will affect your cars day to day drivability. I have my doubts that you do.
It's been proven the rear brace is for show purposes only.
Size is irrellevent without saying what type. Just like with turbos, flow is the most important number you can have.
Turbo pistons .020 over
So this means you're going to bore the block, right?
2.5" exhaust won't flow enough air for high HP. Best exhaust on the market today is made and sold by Certified Muffler: http://www.certifiedmuffler.com
If you're adding a turbo that only adds 150hp, why are you wanting injectors that would supply enough fuel for more than twice what you're shooting for? You do realize that having too large of an injector is going to make them harder to control, right? Not impossible, but much more expensive tuning and ECu programming is going to be required. And if you have to worry about emissions, you're going to have to double that price.
Be still my beating heart. Upgrading from 15" to 16" wheels. WHOA! You rebel you. BTW: Might want to mention what width wheels and tires you plan on running. Or what type of racing you plan on doing.
Ecu upgrade.
Yeah. You'll need that with the bigger injectors.
$4k for suspension? Custom made coil-overs. Or swap in a Z32/S13/S14 rear subframe and have tons of available options.

Point is, you're spoutting off random BS and useless information you probably read in someone else's profile. You don't appear to have a clue that you know what you're talking about.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:41 PM

Thank you... I see my original reply isn't so far off base... CLEARLY, my judgement was not clouded.

JD
Old 10-10-2005, 11:41 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i am curious how you decided on which parts to go with. not to be a *****, but it sounds a bit like you just saw a bunch of parts that looked cool and thought "if i put that stuff on my car it will be fast", without really matching parts for a specific application. you ordered a larger turbo right, which one? i usually know the name of things that i am spending money on. and i really hope you have a shop in mind, because "basic NA tune up stuff" is not going to cut it. as for knowing how to race, where did you learn? did you go to a race school, or did you watch the slow and the silly 20 times in a row? i am not trying to be a dick, just looking for basic info that would show me that you arent just BSing. facts lend credibility to what you have to say, so please, prove us wrong and i will have no problem. unfortunately, so far, it seems like BS.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:22 AM

... sounds like some kid who started playing GranTurismo...

JD
Old 10-11-2005, 04:39 AM

I like Gran Turismo
Old 11-03-2005, 01:19 AM

Updated z31 Design help

Aight ill give you guys this.. I really am not a mechanic thats why im here asking for help.. Some of you under stand this, and i apreciate your understanding. I thought I should go with thesse parts based on the information ive read on the web but its been awhile now and ive did alot of research. So im learning alot more about increasing the proformance of my car.. My mechanic who is one of my best friends does ECU programming so Im set there.. He can do anything for me on ecu for very very cheap. And about some of my stuff i posted, yeah now i realize how stupid it was.

I plan on joining the scca. which for those who dont know what that is, It is an amiture circuit, consisting mainly road coarses, and hondas ROFL! Ive been told by several people that the z31 frame is just poorly design, and will never properly handle in a curve.. Is this true? If so im most likely gonna drop 7.5k down on a 95 300zx TT, I didnt wanna do this origanally because well its a race car.. I dont wanna invest to much money just to get it up and going. But i will if its gonna double my handleing.. I mean right now I cant take a 90 degree curve i just slide right threw it.. Front wheels never catch. So how much better are the 95 z32s at handleing?

About the 16 inch rims.. I would have stuck with 15s and just increased the hell outta the width of the tire.. But the only problem is No one makes any good 15inch tires... Those wandering why in the Hell i want smaller tires are most likelly drag racers, or blingers. This is why.. Lower center of gravity.

And Tires Well It looks like i am going 15 inchers.. I just cant find any good lower profile tires.. so if anyone knows there i can get some 275-255/20-30RI5's Ide be very happy. But for now im going 275/50R15

Indy Profile S/S

The S/S is the same as our Indy Profile but with the added benefi t of our Hot & Sticky traction compound that gets stickier as the tire gets hotter. HOT-N-STICKYÂ TRACTION COMPOUND GETS STICKIER AS TIRE GETS HOTTER. IDEAL STREET/STRIP TIRE. STYLIZED RAISED WHITE LETTERS. REAR APPLICATION RECOMMENDED.

Or maybe 255s not really sure.. But i want the best traction possible but maybe 275 is a little big

I was gonna order those bad *** Falkens that where discontinued
Old 11-03-2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
i am curious how you decided on which parts to go with. not to be a *****, but it sounds a bit like you just saw a bunch of parts that looked cool and thought "if i put that stuff on my car it will be fast", without really matching parts for a specific application. you ordered a larger turbo right, which one? i usually know the name of things that i am spending money on. and i really hope you have a shop in mind, because "basic NA tune up stuff" is not going to cut it. as for knowing how to race, where did you learn? did you go to a race school, or did you watch the slow and the silly 20 times in a row? i am not trying to be a dick, just looking for basic info that would show me that you arent just BSing. facts lend credibility to what you have to say, so please, prove us wrong and i will have no problem. unfortunately, so far, it seems like BS.
Yeah np man and your right I did just look for part that i thought wear cool and powerfull at first.. I was thinking that the 740cc injectors would add even more boost to my T25 turbo. But ive been doing alot of research here latley because my friend (the mechanic) Is making me ROFL!!! And I really do need to learn more than the basics.. Hes taught me alot actually.. I know know that i only need around 370cc injectors and a nice fuel regulator and ecu.

And as far as my racing abiltys.. Well im not one of those "Slow and slightly pissed off" fanatics. Im pretty much the oppisite, Im a metal head not a blinger.. My cars gonna look bone stock except for maybe some down force addons like front clip and rear wing. Ive been driving for 8 yrs now.. and most of the driving was done at very high speeds on country roads.. Seeing how im smack dab in the middle of the apalachain mountains.. and we have miles and miles of empty roads.. And yeah i have taking some driving classes, the classes pretty much where just letting me drive on road coarses and it taught me alot about increasing my lap times. back then I was driving a 95 Camaro coupe. Yeah thats right I was ignorant.. But now i know that JDM is the only way to go.

Ive got a few questions for you guys if you would be so kind..

1. Im wandering if Z32 370cc Fuel Injectors and Fuel Rail J-Spec will fit my 88 Z31
Old 11-03-2005, 05:41 AM

When i hit around 90 MPH my car starts to sway badly. i can bearly keep it in the road.. and its scary so i cut back and get blown away.. I mean because of this i lost a race against a damn Integra! Right now my cars bone stock suspension.
I think you need to worry about making your car safe before you worry about modifying anything. Like, check all the suspension components and rubber bushings. Replace them. Make sure your shocks are working properly and not leaking. Make sure your springs are still good.

I've hit 120 before and not been the least bit concerned about keeping it on the road. The Z31 was built for that. Long distance, high speed driving. If you're having a hard time controlling it at 90mph, you need to fix it before you make it faster. DUH!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

ignore this, im tired and i moved it wrong. sorry. admin wanna delete it for me?