300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:15 PM

valve cover gasket

Hey, I begun taking off the manifold and pulling the coil-packs... etc. to get to my valve cover gasket. I have to replace it because oil is leaking on my rack and pinion bushings and detiorating them. Pulling off the plenum is becoming a huge pain, I still have yet to pull the throttle cables off, i hope this isn't very difficult. If anyone has any suggestions for me or any helpfull recourses please feel free to post them. I have the service manual but it doesn't have much on specifically changing the valve cover gasket. Also a few things, I am also having the igition problem that I have posted about, while I am taking all this stuff off the motor is there things you guys could recomend I keep an eye out for? lastly, i noticed there is a coat of bronze colored oil in the bottom of my plenium and that my balance tubes have a coat of black oil on the walls, is this normal... if not what is causing it/ what can i do, thanks
Old 08-06-2004, 06:16 AM

There is a lot of information at www.ttzd.com/ with pictures & instructions on Z32's, click on TECH link and follow other links to other sites.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:32 AM

I had to do the same thing to Redbird...

You've got yourself in a project, thats for sure.

Anyways, here is how you remove the Upper Plenum:

1. Remove the 8 main support bolts
2. Remove the 4 EGR Arm bolts (Two one each side) they are right behind the throttle bodies
3. Dont worry about the Throttle cables, they screw right off, and on. No biggy.
4. There is one screw on the rear-driver side of the Plenum, that must come off.
5. Then it should come right up...

Now remember, if your Z is a '90, your going to be going through a LOT of dry-rotted hoses... I would suggest the www.Stillen.com 's hose kit, its $33.95 and has enough length to get the job done.

Also, be VERY carefull with your EFI harness, as it may be frail and break... Then you would have to either buy new connectors, or an entirely new harness, which runs well over $300+.

But over all, its not THAT bad of a project... Just be glad your not in my situation.

Good luck, ask if you need any more help.

-ZedEx
Old 08-06-2004, 11:33 AM

One more thing... Be careful with your Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Fuel Dampener... I broke mine when I took the Plenum off.

-ZedEx
Old 08-08-2004, 09:12 PM

well replacing the valve cover gaskets takes a absolutly rediculious amount of time and work, but its all in the name of saving money so I don't mind... also we are taking alot of time to polish the plenum while it is off of the car, tomorrow we are doing the exaust cam side of the valve cover gasket, the part you do with "liquid gasket" i have never used this stuff before... does anyone have any tips or recomendations? I would appreciate it very much. I have tried to take pictures of the process of changing the valve cover gasket so that I will be alot easier for anyone else that wishes too, When I'm done I'll have to figure out somwhere to post those.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 AM

While your at it... Take the valve covers to a shop, and ask them if you can bead blast them up.

It would take no more than 25minutes for all four.

Then take them to a powder coating shop, they would charged you about $15 for each cover.

And that would look pretty nice under that polished upper plenum.

As for the liquid gasket... It's easy, just apply it like caulk. Not thick, but not thin, and evenly distributed.

Do a few practice runs before you try it on your engine.

-ZedEx
Old 08-10-2004, 09:04 AM

HELP on the driver side the exaust cam's bolts are impossible to get to on the underside, the metal rod that connects to the plenum is in the way and the brake master cyl is in the way what can i do?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:25 AM

And thus, it begins.

Thats working on a VG for ya'. You have to find a way to work around it.

-ZedEx
Old 08-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Remove the items that are in the way....... It's usually easier.

I was surprised to find that you're supposed to disconnect the hard brake line to get the caliper off to get the rotor off. I just unbolted the bracket that holds the hard line to the knuckle instead.