300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Dae

Transmission problem

Hi I need some help with a problem I'm having with my 1992 Z32 N/A. I think the transmission is starting to go out on me, but I am nowhere near a mechanic. The problem occurs during shifting. It revs up and then goes back down. Pretty much I start the car off in 1st gear and it is fine. I switch to 2nd gear and the engine rev's up to 3 rpm+ if I give it some gas. When I almost floor it the engine will immediatley hit 5rpm. A few seconds later the engine will stop revving super high and go to what it should be at. If I accelerate at a granny speed then it seems to have no problems. The rpms climb at their normal rate to mph Im going. The same thing occurs in gears 3-5.

I called the Nissan dealership near me and asked them a quote for a new tranny and laber. They quoted around ~3k and I don't have that kinda cash laying around. At the same time, I really love my car so Id like to fix it. Can anyone help me out with suggestions on what the problem could be. Im hoping there is something else wrong besides the tranny or maybe the tranny doesnt need to be totally replaced. If it is definately a tranny problem and needs replacing can anyone suggest a good place that charges less? I live at Tinker AFB, OK. It's rigt next to Oklahoma City.

Thanks a lot. Any suggestions and help are definately appreciated.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Jack Of All Trades

If it's a m/t, you need a clutch. If it's auto, it's trash.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:01 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Dan's the Man

CC & 91 are probably right but hell lets hope it nothin' serious.
Forget the dealership, Oklahoma City has got to have decent Transmission shops. Pull out the yellow pages and take a look. They will usually give you a free diagnosis/estimate. If you can find 2 or 3 shops to go to...even better

Tinker AFB. As in Air Force Base? It's hard to imagine there wouldn't be someone there with the skills to tell you what's going on.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Dae

Great. Thanks a lot for the replies. It is a maunal, so now I'm looking at a much lower price. phewwww

I have a new question. Should I replace the clutch with stock or after market? I am going to continually work on this vehicle, so would it be a good investment to get a performance clutch at this moment? It is all stock besides the exhaust. I enlarged the piping from cat back a 1/4" and put on performance mufflers. If I go performance clutch now, can anyone recommend a couple good brands and any other changes I should make while they're putting that in? Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

JWT, RPS, ACT...

check the link page for retailers. it's all basically gonna depend on how much you wanna spend. Varying lvls of grip are gonna cost ya varying amounts of money.
Other stuff to do while doing a clutch? Lightened Flywheel, Lightened driveshaft, Transmission mount, Synthetic Transmission fluid, Test pipes/hi-flow cats, exhaust, downpipes if it's a TT, SPL Clutch Line kit, .... Am I forgetting anything as it relates to a clutch change guys?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Dan's the Man

Perhaps...Shifter bushings, short throw shifter
Old 10-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
.... Am I forgetting anything as it relates to a clutch change guys?

......... rear main seal.......... new steel braid clutch line/hose.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Ruined By Spudz

Yah, I saw a Dyno where the replaced all the fluids with synthetic in a 96 Honda Civic 3dr Si and it gained 9 whp...I was impressed, as far as extra enhancements towards clutch I think everyone else already covered them. TEAM WORK!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:50 PM

Change your O2 sensors also. I just did that job. I think everything else was already mentioned. Stay away from the tranny mount. I sent mine back. It didn't fit very well and not worth $120, IMO. I went with the ACT clutch, btw. It feels nice.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
new steel braid clutch line/hose.

That's the spl clutch line kit i mentioned.

I was thinking maybe replace the clutch fluid with synthetic also, but I'm not sure if that would actually make that big of a difference. Maybe something to do when you do the brakes.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
That's the spl clutch line kit i mentioned.
Doohh......................

sub-frame spacers?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Ruined By Spudz

I'm guessing all synthetic would do is reduce friction and maybe free up some horsepower.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Dae

Wow you guys are all awesome. I didn't expect everyone to be so quick and polite. Thank you so much!

I decided to go with some performance pieces, so tell me what you think.
ACT Clutch/Flywheel Combo
SPL Clutch Line Kit
Will there be anything else I need that really should be done at the same time? I wish I had the cash to do everything you guys said, but I'm only an E-4 in the Air Force. Not enough money yet

BTW Dan yup Tinker Air Force Base. There is a lot of knowledgable folks around here, but only one other Z32 I see on base. Not to many of them around here I guess. I figure it's best to ask you gurus, since you have been through this

edit: I forgot to add that I am going to attempt doing this myself with a good mechanic (works on mainly domestics never a z32) watching me. He told me he should have all the tools to complete the job, but is there anything I need to buy extra to do the work that these kits wont include?

Last edited by Dae; 10-26-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Dae

btw Rizz that was an outstanding link you gave me. I did find one problem though. I clicked on the link "SPL Clutch Line Installation" and it gave me a forum error. Maybe the post go deleted?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dae
Wow you guys are all awesome. I didn't expect everyone to be so quick and polite. Thank you so much!

He told me he should have all the tools to complete the job, but is there anything I need to buy extra to do the work that these kits wont include?
That's basically the same thing I got. It would be a good idea to replace the flywheel bolts (Courtesy parts). Make sure that the kit comes with the throw-out bearing, pilot bushing and the alignment tool. These cars have a pilot bushing. I've seen some places sell pilot bearings (SGP Racing). If I had've known that sooner, then I would've gone with the bearing. If you're purchasing from Stillen, then I'd recommend that you call them. Ask to talk to Kenny in Sports Car parts. When you get him, tell him that I referred you over (Jody Bartley in Gerber, CA with the '91 Z32 TT). I just dropped a chunk of change there. I think he hooked me up pretty well. Ask what price he can get you the clutch and flywheel combo. Also ask him about the 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. It's made by Powertrain Industries (PTI). It weighs less than 1/2 of what the factory one weighs and it gets rid of the center support bearing. The more you buy, the better they can do on price. You'll probably want to replace the dust boost for the clutch fork (Courtesy). You may also want to replace the pivot ball (Courtesy). Those are both factory items. I also purchased the upper and lower dust boots for the shifter. As it turns out, I didn't need them because mine were still in perfect condition. If you want/need them, then I'll sell 'em to you. Courtesy Parts sells them for about $11 + tax, then you'd have to pay shipping. I'll sell 'em to you for $10 and I'll pay the shipping. It's almost not worth it to me to send 'em back because I'd pay restocking and shipping. At least to you I'd only be paying shipping. Let me know if you want them. I may also have a set of Greg Dupree subframe spacers. Brand new. $60. I've told b300z that I'd sell them to him, but he needs to come up with the $ 1st.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I may also have a set of Greg Dupree subframe spacers. Brand new. $60. I've told b300z that I'd sell them to him, but he needs to come up with the $ 1st.
91 ......... Did you decide not to use the subframe spacers? If you have a set, I don't want to buy them, but I would like to get a hold of one so that I can make some. If you send me one, I'll send it back to you with another set or two, You can sell them on ebay or ??????
Old 10-26-2004, 06:37 PM

Clutch/Flywheel

I just replaced my clutch, I went with the JWT but the flywheel I bought online at wotm.com I think that's it. It's the RPS segmented and it was only like 350. You might think about that one.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by Dae
btw Rizz that was an outstanding link you gave me. I did find one problem though. I clicked on the link "SPL Clutch Line Installation" and it gave me a forum error. Maybe the post got deleted?
thank you for bring that to my attention.
Link is now fixed.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
91 ......... Did you decide not to use the subframe spacers? If you have a set, I don't want to buy them, but I would like to get a hold of one so that I can make some. If you send me one, I'll send it back to you with another set or two, You can sell them on ebay or ??????

I used the subframe spacers from SPL. They make an 8 piece set. 2 per bushing. It's supposed to be better than the spacers from Greg Dupree because they compress the subframe bushings from the top and bottom.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Dae

no thanks 91 but I really appreciate the offer. Thanks a lot for letting me know about Kenny. He really did give me a nice deal. I told him you referred me =)

I just ordered Intake, Clutch/Flywheel, and Short Shifter. What do yall think? Kenny told me the intake was cold air intake even though the site doesn't say it. He said the kit comes with everything I need to install. He said the cluth/flywheel comes with the throw-out bearring, pilot bushing, alignment tool, and flywheel bolts. Final price was a little over $1,000. Does that sound good to yall? Thanks a lot for the help. I hope everything goes well with the install. I'm going to order the SPL Clutch Line kit also.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:22 PM

I'm glad he could help you out.