300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Timing belt inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Timing belt inspection

Hi guys. I recently picked up a '93 NA 2+2 auto with 151,000 miles on it. My first Z car. The kid I bought it from only had it for a month, and didn't know much about the car's history or maintenance records. The car is in decent shape for the price I paid for it ($2850) and the engine runs okay. I've been going over the car to see what I want to get out of it as a daily driver.

Cylinder compression is at about 150 - 165psi. (I have a feeling that one of the heads was serviced recently) I don't have much plans for it besides massaging the car back into decent shape, driving it for a bit, and learning about these amazing cars. I'll eventually sell this one, and pick up a better one and get deeper into it.

My question is about the timing belt. Is there any way to inspect the engine to determine if the timing belt service was done recently or at all? I'm sure the belt itself won't "show" signs of wear, but maybe there are things to look for or clues that would indicate that its been serviced withing the last 30,000 miles or so? Otherwise I have no way of knowing or finding out.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 PM

I did my timing belt a while back and the only way i could tell if it was recently changed was by the way it looked. Like how weathered it was, and usually if the timing belt is changed the water pump is also changed so you ought to look at that too. The timing belt is a PITA in these cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Ruff Ryder

If you have to question it and just plain don't know, then just replace it. a few hundred dollars in parts and a weekend of your time beats a couple weeks and couple thousand dollars to replace a motor.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by hoov100
If you have to question it and just plain don't know, then just replace it. a few hundred dollars in parts and a weekend of your time beats a couple weeks and couple thousand dollars to replace a motor.
+1

And if you're able to see the timing belt, you're pretty close to being able to replace it anyway.

But the biggest indicator may be the condition of the timing marks. On a new belt, they're pretty clear, but they fade with age.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM

okay, thanks for the input, guys. I'm finding out more and more about how it was maintained, and I'm thinking it wasn't really cared for all that well in the last third of its life. I can feel there's still some potential left in that engine though. At least enough to make it enjoyable to drive for the next year or so.

So I'm going to take your advice, and do the 120,000 mile service, and possibly upgrade to an UR pulley.

I've already made quite an impact on the performance and response just by cleaning all the connections, air filter, and MAS. I see someone put Denso iridiums in there.

I've got a used OEM radiator in the mail, a center bushing for the DS, and the NGK's.

The brakes are okay, but I think the front hubs might be bad. There's a lot of front end shudder when braking between 60 and 80 mph, but only at those speeds. Kid I bought it from said he had the rotors turned earlier this month.

The biggest disappointment is the auto trans, though. 2nd gear is pretty damned soft. Is there any way to firm up the shifts without doing a full rebuild?

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll be sticking around for a while.

Last edited by CGDriven; 04-05-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Sounds like you're on the right path. Props to you.

As for your trans, look into the HKS ALC-II (automatic line controller). Its purpose is to improve auto shifting.

The real solution is to get a real transmission. One that you shift.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Sounds like you're on the right path. Props to you.

As for your trans, look into the HKS ALC-II (automatic line controller). Its purpose is to improve auto shifting.

The real solution is to get a real transmission. One that you shift.
Or you can up the line pressure, but that would require mods to the valve body.

I would take a properly setup and built auto over a regular manual trans any day.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

And I'd rather actually have control over what my car does, rather than have to worry about the car deciding to downshift in a corner and throwing me into a spin.

Oh, wait... built automatic transmissions are only used for straight line driving, so I guess that wouldn't be an issue for anybody who had one.

Manual transmissions are for proper GT cars.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=22
Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 PM

LOL. thanks for the input guys. I'd rather have a manual, too, but the price was right on this one. When I sell it, I'll be getting a Z with a 5 speed.

ALC-II is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Ruff Ryder

And I'd rather actually have control over what my car does, rather than have to worry about the car deciding to downshift in a corner and throwing me into a spin.

Oh, wait... built automatic transmissions are only used for straight line driving, so I guess that wouldn't be an issue for anybody who had one.

Manual transmissions are for proper GT cars.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=22

Lol, Downshifting on it's own when in a corner? I seriously hope there was alot of sarcasm in that post. I am in complete agreement that a stock auto slush box is a pile of **** though. (for the z car anyway)
Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

If you begin accelerating on the way out of a corner, while you're still turning, and the car downshifts because you apply enough pedal pressure, the car will downshift and throw the back end out of a sufficiently powerful TT. There was absolutely no sarcasm, just a lot of concepts that seemingly flew far over your head. Hope the barney-style explanation helped.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Ruff Ryder

If you begin accelerating on the way out of a corner, while you're still turning, and the car downshifts because you apply enough pedal pressure, the car will downshift and throw the back end out of a sufficiently powerful TT. There was absolutely no sarcasm, just a lot of concepts that seemingly flew far over your head. Hope the barney-style explanation helped.
The concept of manually shifting the auto is apparently over your head. I mean seriously here, if you are driving the car to an inch of it's life on the track you aren't just going to toss it into drive and leave it. Not to mention if you lock torque converter when you enter the corner it won't shift, regardless of what gear the shifter is in.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Manually shifting an automatic is FAR slower than shifting a manual... apparently that concept is over your head. And have fun ****ing with automatic transmission details, while I shift my car at will and it does exactly what I want it to, the moment I want it to do it.

No real car enthusiast can seriously think an automatic transmission is better... and people who don't know how to drive manual (which I suspect is the case here) can't be real enthusiasts. In fact, the only people who desire an automatic sports car are the people who can't drive manual ones effectively.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Ruff Ryder

Manually shifting an automatic is FAR slower than shifting a manual... apparently that concept is over your head. And have fun ****ing with automatic transmission details, while I shift my car at will and it does exactly what I want it to, the moment I want it to do it.

No real car enthusiast can seriously think an automatic transmission is better... and people who don't know how to drive manual (which I suspect is the case here) can't be real enthusiasts. In fact, the only people who desire an automatic sports car are the people who can't drive manual ones effectively.
Yes, because shifting gears in 10'ths of a second is far slower then shifting a manual trans. If you can't get an automatic to do what you want it to do, then the issue is with the driver or the tuning.

That second paragraph is probably one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read on a z32 board, possible more the azzbum, or vuk. Only someone inexperienced with automatic transmissions would hate them, or think that a manual transmission is better or worse.

as for not knowing how to drive a stick, then tell me why the past two race cars I have owned are stick. Hell why is it, that almost every car I have owned (excluding a couple DD's) has been stick?

I'm not saying an auto is better then a manual, but from your argument, you make it sound like the auto in a z32 is a giant uncontrollable device intent on killing you.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Your automatic transmission, being shifted *like* a manual, will not shift in a tenth of a second.

Go ahead, talk yourself up on the internet. For all we know, you're lying about everything... maybe you're 20 years old and have driven automatic Hyundais your entire life until you bought a Z32.

The bottom line is simple - an automatic transmission knows only a few parameters about what you're doing, and none of those parameters involves the use of the steering wheel. As such, its shifting is done independently of what you're actually doing with the car, and it can therefore do things that you don't want it to do. "Shifting" an automatic (unless your automatic comes in your Ferrari) is not as fast as an experienced person shifting a manual, and I'll trust my personal choice of gears and when to shift over that of a very simple system, any day.

P.S. Go to an SCCA event ANYWHERE and count the ratio of automatics to manuals. There's a reason the vast (and I mean vast) majority of those people show up with manual transmission vehcles.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 04-07-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Hmm I think it also has to do with the fact autos in comparison to manuals have a life thats only as fraction as long as a manual transmission.

Its about what? 100K miles to 130K miles even when not raced and taken well care of that they start to fail. While a manual taken care of in the same way will need a basic clutch change, maybe a fluid change.

While I don't hate automatics, I simply will not trust one at all.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Ruff Ryder

Your automatic transmission, being shifted *like* a manual, will not shift in a tenth of a second.

I said 10'ths not a 10th of a second (I think level10 said somewhere in the .25-.40 sec under WOT)

Go ahead, talk yourself up on the internet. For all we know, you're lying about everything... maybe you're 20 years old and have driven automatic Hyundais your entire life until you bought a Z32.

(TBH, I had a hyundai as a rental car once and hated it)

The bottom line is simple - an automatic transmission knows only a few parameters about what you're doing, and none of those parameters involves the use of the steering wheel. As such, its shifting is done independently of what you're actually doing with the car, and it can therefore do things that you don't want it to do. "Shifting" an automatic (unless your automatic comes in your Ferrari) is not as fast as an experienced person shifting a manual, and I'll trust my personal choice of gears and when to shift over that of a very simple system, any day.

You should really check out just how complicated the computer system for the auto is in the z32, its awesome. If the computer is tuned correctly and the converter is locked, or you have a full manual valve body the trans is going to do only what you tell it. When they say manual valve body, they mean manual valve body.

I'm not trying to persuade anybody over manual vs. auto, but you are making an auto sound like it's going to randomly go out of control and kill someone.

P.S. Go to an SCCA event ANYWHERE and count the ratio of automatics to manuals. There's a reason the vast (and I mean vast) majority of those people show up with manual transmission vehicles.

Did you ever think there is a cost factor, or rule factor in that? I spent almost every weekend last year at willow springs, fontana, chuckwalla and irwindale. I really don't think I need to go take a poll during the drivers meeting.

(stupid message length)

(also the f430 shifts in .15 seconds.)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Hmm I think it also has to do with the fact autos in comparison to manuals have a life thats only as fraction as long as a manual transmission.

Its about what? 100K miles to 130K miles even when not raced and taken well care of that they start to fail. While a manual taken care of in the same way will need a basic clutch change, maybe a fluid change.

While I don't hate automatics, I simply will not trust one at all.
Life completely depends on the trans design and maintenance. Just like any transmission. Like the synchro issues on the early z32 trans, the T5's over throwing the shift and destroying the synchros...etc
Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I do own 2 automatic cars. And so be it. But there will never be anything better than my 5 speeds. Being able to control the RPM's, and the whole shifting experience, is like nothing else. And honestly, only real sports cars have 5 speeds. In my opinion, if anybody claims to have a sports car, and it is an automatic. They are just kidding themselves.

All aside, I mean no offense to anybody. Just wanted to state where I stood on this. Carry on.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Just for the record, I posted a poll on a car forum last night. Poll just said "A true sports car/GT car enthusiast would prefer" and the options were "a built automatic transmission" and "a manual transmission" (in that order). Thus far, results are 24 to 8 in favor of a manual transmission, and several of the people who voted for built automatic have said that they'd prefer it because it's better for drag racing (which is a narrow use of a proper sports car/GT car).

H0: p <= 0.5
Ha: p > 0.5

T = (.75 - .5) / sqrt(.5*.5/32) = 2.828

P(T>2.828) = 0.004

Thus, we reject the null hypothesis that the true proportion is less than or equal to 0.5 and conclude that the majority of enthusiasts would prefer a manual transmission.

Just saying.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Just sharing my 2 cents. I have owned many prestigious cars in my life time. Had nothing came close to the feel and reaction I got in my OR dodge viper. The T56 tranny is no doubt the best manual IMHO tranny out there. But on the subject of the z32. I own a TT automatic. And never plan to convert it to a manual. I do love manuals and also agree it's always best way to go if your racing requires a technical type of driving such as an autox event, NASA driving schools, etc. I do love my auto TT z32. Very impressed with it being an auto. Also I totally disagree with the statement in a manual tranny will out last a auto. My car has records all the way till it was crest on august of 1990. Not once it was ever service Ed for any tranny issues. Not to say the automatics are better. But that it all depends on how the driver or owner maintained their vehicle through out it's life.
I do miss driving a manual and will eventually get another sports car with that option. I do agree I loike the idea of having direct control of my gears. Don't slam autos cause you dislike them in general. There are a few I know that can take on any manual and make them eat pavement.
Guys, we all can come to an agreeable idea that we live our Z car. There are many of you that know these cars inside and out. There are many that race on occasionally and professionally. Just be greatful that you all have an Z car that you own and drive. I don't think anyone's argument is wrong. You statements are clear and non debatable. Just basically arguing over whether you prefer a manual or automatic setup.
Now..... If you don't know how or ever driven a manual car. Then IMHO you don't have a say so on the debate on which is better. Not to be mean or an ***. Just saying guys. Cant we all just getting along? Lmfao can't say I didn't try! Lol
Old 12-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

It's kind of ridiculous how heated that debate got! Thanks for digging up some entertainment Lovenpain.

@Hoov, were you basically suggesting converting an auto to paddle shift "manual"?

@ZLover, though I'd rather take a manual purely for how fun it is to drive, a paddle shift transmission (which is more automatic than manual) kills manual in performance.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Ruff Ryder

Just for the record, I posted a poll on a car forum last night. Poll just said "A true sports car/GT car enthusiast would prefer" and the options were "a built automatic transmission" and "a manual transmission" (in that order). Thus far, results are 24 to 8 in favor of a manual transmission, and several of the people who voted for built automatic have said that they'd prefer it because it's better for drag racing (which is a narrow use of a proper sports car/GT car).

H0: p <= 0.5
Ha: p > 0.5

T = (.75 - .5) / sqrt(.5*.5/32) = 2.828

P(T>2.828) = 0.004

Thus, we reject the null hypothesis that the true proportion is less than or equal to 0.5 and conclude that the majority of enthusiasts would prefer a manual transmission.

Just saying.
Not to drag up this very opinionated argument (both sides) but how many of those people have ever tried road racing with an auto trans, let alone a built (and I'm not just talking about a convertor and aftermarket clutch pack/band) auto trans? At the same time, an actual built 6 speed manual trans will have such a nice feel to it that it would make up for it.

Either way the argument goes, compared to whats being put in production vehicles today our transmissions are complete piles compared to whats out there now.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by Rupe
It's kind of ridiculous how heated that debate got! Thanks for digging up some entertainment Lovenpain.

@Hoov, were you basically suggesting converting an auto to paddle shift "manual"?

@ZLover, though I'd rather take a manual purely for how fun it is to drive, a paddle shift transmission (which is more automatic than manual) kills manual in performance.
Heated debate? It's only a matter of opinion, but I don't think Zlover has ever had some serious seat time in a car on a road course with an auto and if he did, he didn't take it seriously and just left it in drive.

You can actually buy a kit now to convert it to paddle shifters, but TCI sells a full manual 6 speed with a paddle shifter and trans controller kit for about $5-6k
Old 12-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100
Heated debate? It's only a matter of opinion, but I don't think Zlover has ever had some serious seat time in a car on a road course with an auto and if he did, he didn't take it seriously and just left it in drive.

You can actually buy a kit now to convert it to paddle shifters, but TCI sells a full manual 6 speed with a paddle shifter and trans controller kit for about $5-6k
Holy crap! Really?

Quick Reply: Timing belt inspection