300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Single Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 07:30 AM

Single Exhaust

I posted a while ago about swithing to a single to get you guys Opinions. I need to know before i do it:

Will it rob me of HP?

Will my car run properly?

Will I get as check engine light?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Bad Speller

well I was considering it my self. but I think it will be worse because it's TWIN TURBO so you need TWIN EXHAUST to keep all that TWIN TURBULANCE appart.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Yes.
Yes it'll run, define properly.
No.

Why would you want to do this?
Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 AM

EDIT: removed unnecessary comment- still see no reason for KENZ to have been banned though - Zeo

It will run perfectly, it will NOT rob you of power. You will not get a check engine light. The single exhaust Y pipes after the cats. YOur O2 sensors are on your Downpipes(for TT), or Headers(for NA). Major Japanese Z tuners run singles, why would they if it sucked and ****s up your car? Do it.

Last edited by Zeorymer; 07-17-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:59 AM

ummm because most major japanese tuners run Inline 6 cars and if they run a V is specialy fabricated to work perfectly with that car not using regular turbo setups that you can buy.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:07 AM

ummm .. last time i checked.. the Z32 didnt have an inline 6. I said "Z tuners". and yes.. they are using VG30 motors, no swaps, and are using single exhausts with RACE PROVEN RESULTS.

Last edited by Zeorymer; 07-10-2005 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Ruined By Spudz

lol go zeo!!!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:34 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

lol, listen, single exhaust even on a V6 won't hurt your motor at all in any shape or form. I would just personally up the pipe size to compensate for the extra exhaust pressure. In fact there is some guy here in Reno w/ a white TT w/ a single exhuast, and his car seems to be doing just fine. And yea, the Z GT Jap tuners use single exhaust to increase the backpressure which in turn helps the motor operate and generally creates better throttle response.

Think about it, how many V6s are there that use single exhaust? The VG30 is no different, just how they decided to design the exhaust system, the motor itself is capable of such things as well.

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 07-10-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM

Seriously though, why would you want to do this? Unless you change the rear fascia it would look really lame.

I'd like to see the route of the exhaust on those tuner VG30's. I'd like to see how the same cars would perform with a dual setup.

The majority of the performance V6's and V8's that we see have dual exhaust setups. Turbocharged V6's and V8's almost always have dual set up. Wonder why that is ? Is it because it looks better, runs better, or cats less to develop it?

Last edited by 91zxtt; 07-10-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by Zeorymer
Sigh. YOu guys are f@#$ing idiots.. seriously. Admin?? LOL I'll probably get banned like KENZ did. i dont really care. Ban everyone who has real knowledge if it makes you guys feel smarter.
Kenz has not been banned.
Apparently you're too used to other forums, i can't explain your outburst otherwise. I haven't banned anyone.
Just cuz you don't agree with a response you go off on a tyrade? what happened to just saying i don't agree?
Just cuz i'm an Admin i don't and never have claimed to know everything. C-murder asked for our opinions. I provided mine. I still fail to see where i merited being called a f-ing idiot. I wasn't condescending, i wasn't being a smartass, and i certainly didn't berate or swear at him. So what did i do wrong again?
So to quote Zeorymer.....
Sigh.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed
I wasn't condescending, i wasn't being a smartass, and i certainly didn't berate or swear at him.
Of course you wern't thats why Zeo felt he had to make up for it, I guess that's just how some people feel conversing between one another should proceed. Pretty rude if you ask me, but I suppose we're all just a bunch of f'n idiots right?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by RPS13_GZ32
Of course you wern't thats why Zeo felt he had to make up for it, I guess that's just how some people feel conversing between one another should proceed. Pretty rude if you ask me, but I suppose we're all just a bunch of f'n idiots right?

EDIT: Edited for content.

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 07-17-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Kenz has not been banned.
Apparently you're too used to other forums, i can't explain your outburst otherwise. .....
Actually KenZ was pretty polite and helpful.....

Maybe Zeo should go across his street, grab a pepsi, and take some anti-a$$ lessons from his neighbor.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:09 AM

LOL.... maybe you guys should give good quality answers instead of poorly thought up theories (opinions) of how you think things will work. try doing some research before answering people. Sorry for my outburst.... it was more directly a result of reading the mass of misinformation in the majority of the threads i come across here. Peace.

oh and KENZ is still banned as far as i can tell.

Last edited by Zeorymer; 07-12-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:40 PM

How would a single exhaust make youre car operate improperly? I am running a 5Zigen single tip exhaust to pass emissions...car still runs great and there is NO change in performance as compared to aftermarket dual exhaust. the only real noticable differance is its not as loud. ive seen many Z's running around here with single tip...i think its just a difference in opinion...i prefer true dual but thats me.

Last edited by Mousier158; 07-11-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:38 PM

LOL.... maybe you guys should give good quality answers instead of poorly thought up theories (opinions) of how you think things will work. try doing some research before answering people. peace.
Sounds like a plan, maybe you should try removing the stick from your *** before responding next time. I'd say our ignorance is nothing near as aggravating as your pessimism.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Jack Of All Trades

LOL.... maybe you guys should give good quality answers instead of poorly thought up theories (opinions) of how you think things will work. try doing some research before answering people. peace.
I'm GUILTY, I apologize everybody. I'll start all of my responses with either, "It is a fact that....." or "In therory......."
Old 07-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Bad Speller

He's starting to sound like [banned member].

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 07-11-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:23 PM

I'm too lazy to do research. Why don't you go find us some dyno results that show single tip vs. dual tip on the same car.

I'm going to theorize a bit more.....
IMO, twin sequential turbos and single turbos probably work better with a single exhaust; whereas isolated twin turbo set ups work better with a dual exaust. Just my theory.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
I'm too lazy to do research. Why don't you go find us some dyno results that show single tip vs. dual tip on the same car.

IMO, twin sequential turbos and single turbos probably work better with a single exhaust; whereas isolated twin turbo set ups work better with a dual exaust. Just my theory.
2nd.
that was my thinking exactly.
just never really got around to explaining it and you elaborated quite nicely. Probably better than i could have.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

boy, i wish i had the spare time to bitch about non-issues like some people. must not be much to do in hawaii i guess.

Last edited by entropy31; 07-12-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
How's this theory ........ 6 single exhausts into one big turbo in the trunk............. straight pipe, single exhaust, after the turbo. No need for muffler.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

i think you're forgetting about the engine intake side.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:41 AM

sdgdsg

Does anyone make this type of exaust or do i have to have it custom bent?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Does anyone make this type of exaust or do i have to have it custom bent?.
I don't know of anyone making a single custom exhaust kit. Even if someone did, it's usually cheaper to take it to your local muffler shop and have them bend you up a new stainless one........... Shop around. Mostly fact

i think you're forgetting about the engine intake side.
Fact, Yeah, you might have a little lag there.

Quick Reply: Single Exhaust